Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Foul Play  (Read 6428 times)

GameShowFan

Foul Play
« on: December 29, 2003, 09:56:01 PM »
OK, I admit it, I barely made it through the first commercial break.

The premise is to bring on winners of GSN's original shows and attempt to humiliate them in a Candid Camera-style joke.

The first skit involves a Lingo pair who (perhaps not so coincidentally) won the 9PM ET episode that aired immediately before.  After the game, they are brought in front of a blue screen and told their reactions on winning are less than exciting. They end up working with a "celebration coach" who makes Richard Simmons look straight.

The sketch devolves to stupidity remarkably quickly, mostly because there is simply no point to the sketch. Finally, the contestants get a lame shirt to commemorate the lame sketch. At this point, the television went off. (No bricks, 'cause I'm not that angry.)

Congratulations, GSN, you have outdone "Extreme Gong" and even "Faux Pause." I didn't think you had it in you.

Dissenting opinions welcome. Surprise me, y'all.

'Brian

PeterMarshallFan

Foul Play
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 09:58:44 PM »
I'm not surprised. I anticipated that it would be bad, so I skipped it.

From the sound of it, I should be glad, too.

zachhoran

Foul Play
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 10:11:08 PM »
[quote name=\'GameShowFan\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 09:56 PM\']
Congratulations, GSN, you have outdone "Extreme Gong" and even "Faux Pause." I didn't think you had it in you.

Dissenting opinions welcome. Surprise me, y'all.

[/quote]
They didn't outdo DJ Games, but Allen Funt would be rolling over in his grave if he heard of Candid Camera wannabes like Foul Play is. Now let's see if it becomes a regular series......
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 10:21:57 PM by zachhoran »

TV Favorites

Foul Play
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 10:14:11 PM »
Allen Ludden?  Do you mean Allen Funt?

PeterMarshallFan

Foul Play
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 10:15:32 PM »
The reverse of the classic WML? blooper..... ;-)

Jimmy Owen

Foul Play
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 02:52:37 AM »
This can be salvaged.  Combine two shows to create "Foul Lingo," where two teams compete to spell four-letter words.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

uncamark

Foul Play
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 12:35:19 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 09:58 PM\']I'm not surprised. I anticipated that it would be bad, so I skipped it.

From the sound of it, I should be glad, too.[/quote]
I fell asleep before the repeat came on, so I missed it.

But somehow I have the feeling that this has no future--that the pilot was just aired to amortize it.  This used to happen a lot more frequently on cable back in the 80s and 90s than nowadays (like the 1988 pilot of "Kingpins," Nick at Nite's first and to-date only attempt at a game show).

Of course, I could be wrong--but if the shows used as sources for the stunts aren't being renewed...

HSquares2003

Foul Play
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 09:35:02 PM »
Yeah it sucked eggs. Changed channel after 15 minutes, got sick of hearing the Lingo theme(even though it's cool, it annoyed me).

melman1

Foul Play
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 10:50:38 PM »
And it bumped an episode of MGPM with Joe Garagiola on the panel, which seems to have been skipped over completely. as it didn't air on Tuesday evening.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 03:05:41 AM by melman1 »
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

catnap1972

Foul Play
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 11:15:49 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Dec 30 2003, 12:35 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 09:58 PM\']I'm not surprised. I anticipated that it would be bad, so I skipped it.

From the sound of it, I should be glad, too.[/quote]
I fell asleep before the repeat came on, so I missed it.
 [/quote]
 I fell asleep DURING the show.

ezbidder

Foul Play
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 02:10:14 PM »
Is Foul Play a one shot deal or is it going to be a regular series? I noticed a few more scheduled airings on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th.   I assume these are replays of the first showing.

eZb

TV Favorites

Foul Play
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 02:11:10 PM »
The currently scheduled reruns are reruns of the episode previously shown.  I believe at this time, Foul Play was a one shot deal.

Justin30519

Foul Play
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 09:11:10 PM »
Get used to it, guys. It seems they are going to have garbage like this on their schedule quite a bit when they get their new name. Did you see the Games Across America skits? They had stuff like rock/paper/scissors championship and a beard contest. What's next: a mashed potato sculpture contest? Foul Play was beyond bad. It was a very poor ripoff of Candid Camera and The Jamie Kennedy Experiment. I know they said they are going to have studio game shows in daytime. Worst case scenario is that shows like this will begin to slowly erode away at the traditional game shows. Best case scenario is that shows like this will go the way of Naturally Stoned and get bad ratings, causing them to bring back all studio games. Time will tell.

Justin

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Foul Play
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 07:13:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 07:11 PM\'] It was a very poor ripoff of Candid Camera and The Jamie Kennedy Experiment. [/quote]
 Just as a general rule, any hidden camera show that is NOT Candid Camera and not hosted by Allen Funt is a poor ripoff thereof. (That includes the pile of crap his son did, BTW.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Foul Play
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 1 2004, 07:13 AM\'] [quote name=\'Justin30519\' date=\'Dec 31 2003, 07:11 PM\'] It was a very poor ripoff of Candid Camera and The Jamie Kennedy Experiment. [/quote]
Just as a general rule, any hidden camera show that is NOT Candid Camera and not hosted by Allen Funt is a poor ripoff thereof. (That includes the pile of crap his son did, BTW.) [/quote]
 At least the recent Candid Camera revival bought Fannie Flagg back and even re-created a couple of skits she was a part of on the 70s syndicated version with Funt.