Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The games time passed by?  (Read 12759 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The games time passed by?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 05:59:19 PM »

I still think Password+/Super Password could work again without any major changes. I find it to be the best revamped format of the original. I think it is still well paced, even after all these years.

The only change I could think of is to use Go\'s scoring system (puzzles worth $250, $500, $750, $1,250, game at $1,500) so as to make the first puzzle more meaningful.

Isn\'t that, with some modification for values, the same setup Super Password used? Either way you haven\'t fixed the issue. Because you\'re still rendering the first puzzle as more practice than anything.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »
For edification, the rules I used at my birthday party in August: 90 seconds on the clock, 2 points for a correct guess, -1 point for a pass, wrong answer or clue-giving foul. Bonus: got to use my victory point chips from Meeple People that have a number on one side and a star on the other so you can play open or closed points. Double Bonus: The team of yrs. truly, my sister and her boyfriend made use of the 25-point chips. Plural.

The idea that we would play rounds and use the 1-2-3-5 scoring was quickly extinguished. Great to build suspense for a game show; lousy for a party game.

If I was granted Emperor of Remounting Password Plus; the first three puzzles for $100, each one after that worth $200, whoever has more money at the horn plays Alphabetics. Ties would be broken by best-of-three Passwords. This also assumes that the host keeps the game moving at a decent pace, as opposed to having the horn sound just as the third puzzle finishes.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 06:32:46 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 06:37:10 PM »

I\'ve often wondered if Match Game would work better in the present day if the object of the game was to be clever and come up with the most creative double-entendres possible...in other words, it\'d be more of a test of the contestants\' ability to play on words.

Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »

I\'ve often wondered if Match Game would work better in the present day if the object of the game was to be clever and come up with the most creative double-entendres possible...in other words, it\'d be more of a test of the contestants\' ability to play on words.

Do you have an example handy?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »

I lol\'d

At what?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 07:16:24 PM »

At what?

Shoosh! Don\'t encourage him.
Travis L. Eberle

cyclone45

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »

Nick S. couples post on page 1..my quote thing isn\'t working...

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 10:13:20 PM »

I really doubt that the \'70s MG would work anymore.  Two attempts to revive it failed.  Back in 1973 we all screamed when someone said \"boobs\" as an answer for the first time; now it\'s said all over the tube and no one bats an eyelash.  The \'70s MG is like Laugh-In: a product of its time that belongs to that time and would seem merely \"meh\" today.

"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

PYLdude

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »

I really doubt that the \'70s MG would work anymore.  Two attempts to revive it failed.  Back in 1973 we all screamed when someone said \"boobs\" as an answer for the first time; now it\'s said all over the tube and no one bats an eyelash.  The \'70s MG is like Laugh-In: a product of its time that belongs to that time and would seem merely \"meh\" today.

I wouldn\'t say the game is what caused either revival to fail. MG90 had a bad time slot working against it (it really wasn\'t the format- if anything I thought Match-Up was a good addition) and MG98 just tried way too hard to be a carbon copy of the original series when it didn\'t need to do that.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »

This also assumes that the host keeps the game moving at a decent pace, as opposed to having the horn sound just as the third puzzle finishes.

When I was watching the new Whose Line over the summer, I felt like there was less content per episode compared to previous seasons, even though the pace of the show didn\'t really change.  Considering that a revived show would already move slower than its prior version, you could have another problem other than just \"How hip is my game?\"

This signature is currently under construction.

Jay Temple

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:08:41 AM »

(Travis\' idea for P+/SP won\'t quote for me.) Assuming that you don\'t start on $200 puzzles until three $100\'s are solved, you won\'t have any ties to break! (unless you mean $100-100 and $0-0)

Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »

Considering that a revived show would already move slower than its prior version

I certainly reject that thesis; The Pyramid didn\'t move any slower than $25k/$100k, and marched at a much faster clip than Pyramid 2002.

How is it that game shows are slower but also have to cater to slower attention spans?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »

How is it that game shows are slower but also have to cater to slower attention spans?

Because people are by and large dumbasses. The key to a happy life is understanding that and figuring out how to live with it.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

geno57

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 03:38:06 AM »

Because people are by and large dumbasses. The key to a happy life is understanding that and figuring out how to live with it.

I had an old radio boss who used to say, \"You\'ll never go broke, underestimating the intelligence of your audience.\"