Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the Century Syndicated  (Read 53121 times)

PYLclark86

• The Consolation Prize... to Your Heart <3
$ale of the Century Syndicated
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »
You\'re right, my mistake.
*Indecipherable screaming*

cyclone45

« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »

Reminder to all to set your DVRs. Syndie $ale and network $ale are separate series.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2013, 11:06:18 AM »

Wow.  GSN kept the contestant phone number and ticket info plugs intact in the end credits.

So when do we call?  :)

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »

My thoughts and observations:

* The Rhinestoned Helvetica font isn\'t present yet. But the updated fonts for the Instant Bargains are.

* Mobile phones have certainly come a long way from the suitcase type. Same thing with the laptops.

* $830 just to buy all the prizes? No wonder they later decreased it to $750.

* The contestants seem really good at getting the money cards on the Fame Game board. Could this be why they later changed it to a randomizer?

* With regards to the ticket plug, they didn\'t even cover it up with a \"Phone Not Active\" disclaimer, like USA Network always did.

* I remember Travis saying that one of the differences between the Syndicated and Daytime editions was the type of questions asked. On the Syndicated edition, it was virtually general knowledge questions, whereas the daytime one had more current-event themed questions. I\'ve seen Syndie $ale before, but I never really noticed it, until I watched the episodes in consecutive order.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:00:00 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

SuperSweeper

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »

I have a small request for anyone who was watching the marathon this morning: Can you tell me the last name and/or the hometown of Judy, who was the champion of the show that aired at 10:30?  I\'m about 99% sure that she is one of my former teachers from high school, but I was only able to catch the last two minutes or so of the main game.

Don Howard

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »

Wow.  GSN kept the contestant phone number and ticket info plugs intact in the end credits.

So when do we call?  :)

I understand Ottinger already called and has a taping day scheduled.

BrandonFG

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

* The contestants seem really good at getting the money cards on the Fame Game board. Could this be why they later changed it to a randomizer?

* With regards to the ticket plug, they didn\'t even cover it up with a \"Phone Not Active\" disclaimer, like USA Network always did.

Dunno how the Fame Game would\'ve made a difference. Either way, it was still a blind draw...it\'s just with the randomizer, you saw the Money Card in advance, and tried to have good hand-eye coordination.

On the rare occasion when GSN showed ticket plugs (they did it with Password Plus a few times), they didn\'t use a disclaimer there either. I think the difference with USA is that the reruns were a lot more recent, so it would be easier to mistake a 4-5 year old show as new*, as opposed to one from 29 years ago.

*Considering the average viewer at home might not even realize it was a rerun at that point.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:12:40 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

Dunno how the Fame Game would\'ve made a difference. Either way, it was still a blind draw...it\'s just with the randomizer, you saw the Money Card in advance, and tried to have good hand-eye coordination.

The $5 money card on today\'s eps. makes a difference as well.  I think I saw that one alone hit on at least half of today\'s shows.

I was surprised by the lack of prizes on the Fame Game board, though it makes some sense on a nighttime version.  A non-cash, non-game cash item wasn\'t hit until the 3rd or 4th show.  The combination of mystery money or try again, followed by $400 or try again, then finally picking cutlery on one of the last shows was odd as well.

Julius

« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »

Hi everyone,

I just had a look at the PDF\'s for around Thanksgiving for GSN, and it looks like Syndicated $ale of the Century is coming, with an 8 episode marathon on Black Friday!

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html#d=-XbCvwN2hqclMLwVL416Qg\'>https://workspaces.acrobat.com/app.html#d=-XbCvwN2hqclMLwVL416Qg

It also appears that a Family Feud marathon on Thanksgiving will feature literally every version of the show.

Some great classic game show news!

-Adam

Do GSN has the entire syndicated run?

Julius May, Philadelphia PA

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2013, 02:26:39 PM »

The $5 money card on today\'s eps. makes a difference as well.  I think I saw that one alone hit on at least half of today\'s shows.

I was surprised by the lack of prizes on the Fame Game board, though it makes some sense on a nighttime version.  A non-cash, non-game cash item wasn\'t hit until the 3rd or 4th show.  The combination of mystery money or try again, followed by $400 or try again, then finally picking cutlery on one of the last shows was odd as well.

I\'d like to say the $15 card made just as many appearances through the marathon (even moreso than the $5)...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »

I\'m guessing the popularity of Press Your Luck (what kind of ratings did it pull, anyway?) had more to do with that than people being able to make a blind choice and come up with something good. Plus they get to use the little ditty from Time Machine again.

If we assume that there are only the three money cards and no means to pick again, there is an 8-in-21 chance that all three money cards will go begging. That means in 62% of shows at least one money card will be chosen. That\'s not contestants being \"really good at finding money cards,\" that\'s just probability at work over a series of trials.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2013, 03:14:30 PM »

I\'m guessing the popularity of Press Your Luck (what kind of ratings did it pull, anyway?) had more to do with that than people being able to make a blind choice and come up with something good. Plus they get to use the little ditty from Time Machine again.

That\'s a really good point. Both shows were already competing in the 10:30 slot; I\'m wondering if PYL was pulling viewers away from Sale, and whether this was Sale\'s response?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:15:15 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

gamed121683

« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2013, 05:07:26 PM »

I have a small request for anyone who was watching the marathon this morning: Can you tell me the last name and/or the hometown of Judy, who was the champion of the show that aired at 10:30?  I\'m about 99% sure that she is one of my former teachers from high school, but I was only able to catch the last two minutes or so of the main game.

Didn\'t get her hometown, but her last name is Tyrer.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 05:07:36 PM by gamed121683 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »

Originally from Dallas.

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

SuperSweeper

« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2013, 10:34:25 PM »

Thanks for the information!  Unfortunately, it was not her.  It had to be her doppelganger, as the resemblance was striking.