Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I got the call from Million Second Quiz.  (Read 17143 times)

cyberjoek

I got the call from Million Second Quiz.
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:07 PM »

Well, let\'s add one to the technical screwups count.  During the first online match the contestant hit his screen several times during the bout and it didn\'t register and now we\'re treated to a bunch of time watching the silent green room (full of Subway ads).

Did no one think to have paper cards with A/B/C/D on them ready to go if something happened with the screens?

Millionaire81

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:22 PM »

Why the hell would you rescind the doubler and increasing point values in the non-televised shows?  After the bout immeadiately following the show, the livestream has shown some holding room.  At least 15 minutes with no bouts.

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:14 PM »

Well, let\'s add one to the technical screwups count.  During the first online match the contestant hit his screen several times during the bout and it didn\'t register and now we\'re treated to a bunch of time watching the silent green room (full of Subway ads).

Did no one think to have paper cards with A/B/C/D on them ready to go if something happened with the screens?

Lots of speculation coming:

1. They were basically doing that while the stream was down, and they didn\'t want to show it.

3. When they went to air, they had staffers doing selections manually where needed so that the show didn\'t come off looking bad.

5. The staffers didn\'t work the off-air bout, and the systems failed miserably again.

My narrow-minded thoughts on that:

5 years ago, I took some plywood, some LED lights, some poker chips, and custom software and made a playable version of Duel.  These guys have how many people working on this stuff?

"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

golden-road

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 09:40:34 PM »

Where\'s the stream?

EDIT: Never mind, found it, and it says its not avalible in my area.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 09:52:23 PM by golden-road »

Fedya

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 09:46:39 PM »

5 years ago, I took some plywood, some LED lights, some poker chips, and custom software and made a playable version of Duel.

You\'rewatchingDuelonABC was five years ago already?
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

cyberjoek

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »

Well, now the show has been off-air (no new duels shown) for over an hour and now we\'re hearing them fine tune a quote from the last contestant defeated on television.

Live television is working without a safety net but it looks like Million Seconds seems to be intentionally using a fire pit to fall into.

parliboy

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »

That\'s the best mixed metaphor I\'ve heard since the two people who got along like oil and matches.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:47:21 PM by parliboy »

cyberjoek

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »

And now I\'m sure Subway will be happy that we\'re watching winner\'s row order from Five Guys.... cut to Subway ad.

Best Live Feed EVAR!

snowpeck

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2013, 12:30:32 AM »

Now they\'re replaying tonight\'s only online bout, presumably for the west coast (which does and doesn\'t make sense.)

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 01:44:02 AM »
I played my match off the air at about 11pm. I lost by a point. Therefore, I\'m on the train home. No regrets. It was fun.

Wonderfully nice people working there, and God bless \'em for taking the long march, but that show is pretty disjointed. Like I said on Facebook, I\'m glad I can now save my eligibility for something else next year.

Contact me privately if you want to know more about my off the air match. I\'m tired.
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

parliboy

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
I\'m just curious which set you played on.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2013, 02:22:57 AM »
Not that damn hourglass, that is for SURE.
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:21 AM »
Sorry, didn\'t mean to be evasive:

Super low budget for reasons unspecified. Two shotgun mics on a table, homemade Flash software, flip card score displays and a guy to flip them, and BUZZ PS2 controllers. This all took place in a walk-in closet sort of room.

I appreciate the effort the crew put in, but 14 hours of waiting culminating in...that. Pretty let down. I mean, I\'m used to the whole holding cell wait here give me your phone thing...but come on.

chad1m

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »

Game shows are no fun in a broom closet and they\'re certainly no longer game shows. Sorry to hear your experience was less than pleasant. Do you have any idea what\'s going on with the online games/stream?

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2013, 03:07:34 AM »

Do you have any idea what\'s going on with the online games/stream?

I actually had no idea nobody could see the show online until I read the poopstorm once I got my phone back. Definitely didn\'t seem to be a concern among the crew we were with.