Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Promotional considerations provided by..."  (Read 9332 times)

Loogaroo

"Promotional considerations provided by..."
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:28:28 PM »

The discussion on the GSN Chase thread brings up an interesting question: at what point did companies start drifting away from providing consolation prizes and more towards the \"promotional consideration\" idea, and why did such a shift take place?

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »
I remember seeing reruns of game shows on Nickelodeon that would replace the \"departing contestants receive\" to \"promotional consideration by\" so that they don\'t have to provide free advertising for the Sega Genesis and also to resell that ad space.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »

Yeah, it\'s my strong suspicion that that transition came about when productions realized they could get actual money for that ad space as opposed for having to take goods in barter.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 08:29:12 PM »

Jeopardy! went from giving away oft-sponsored prizes to flat cash in the spring of 2002. I believe Wheel contestants would get consolations if they finished with no cash too, that being abolished for the \"everyone gets a grand\" rule. Spring 2012 saw the end of the \"contestants not appearing on stage\" plugs on The Price is Right to a $300 cash prize.

I remember seeing reruns of game shows on Nickelodeon that would replace the \"departing contestants receive\" to \"promotional consideration by\" so that they don\'t have to provide free advertising for the Sega Genesis and also to resell that ad space.

An amusing aspect is that some of these shows, like Legends of the Hidden Temple, still have the host saying \"tell \'em what we\'ve got for them,\" followed by an edited Nestlé Quik ad, giving the impression to the unknowing that those poor kids won chocolate milk for their efforts.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 08:31:13 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 08:45:42 PM »

That would be awesome. Who doesn\'t like chocolate milk? :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »

An amusing aspect is that some of these shows, like Legends of the Hidden Temple, still have the host saying \"tell \'em what we\'ve got for them,\" followed by an edited Nestlé Quik ad, giving the impression to the unknowing that those poor kids won chocolate milk for their efforts.

That was prezactly the example I was thinking of. Well spotted, grasshoppa.

/Fall at the moat, get a savings bond. Get left behind on the steps of knowledge and you get a case of Wonka candy.
//you tell me who was the bigger loser there.
Travis L. Eberle

Flerbert419

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »

Spring 2012 saw the end of the \"contestants not appearing on stage\" plugs on The Price is Right to a $300 cash prize. 

A taping report from last week indicated this may have been upped to $400.

/Split in half for all the special couples shows.

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »

I remember in fall 1994, Wheel and Jeopardy started inserting more video \"promotional considerations\" mini-commercials into the plugs, but still keeping in a few art cards. They eventually went to all mini-commercials by 1996 or \'97, and it seems all the other show followed suit around that time.

As I said in the other thread, I\'ll take the free accommodations/per diem or $1,000 over the care package of consolation gifts anyday, esp. the Lee Press-On Nails and Underalls. At least Whammy and Merv Griffin\'s Crosswords offered the Croton watches.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 11:04:17 PM »

Wasn\'t it some time in 1988 when NBC dumped the fee plugs for their shows and went right from host\'s goodbye to the crawl?

Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »

Wasn\'t it some time in 1988 when NBC dumped the fee plugs for their shows and went right from host\'s goodbye to the crawl?

Those were sent mid-show.

JMFabiano

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »

Didn\'t GaS cut out the prize plugs for each obstacle course stunt in DD? 

And I cannot think of the subject title without doing so in Lord Alfred Hayes\' voice. 

I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Loogaroo

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 06:23:54 PM »

So why would advertisers sign off on this, then? Seems to me it would cost them more to pay money for a plug on a show than it would to just give away free product.

You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »

So why would advertisers sign off on this, then?

Because, like any advertised product, if they don\'t buy it, their competition will.

Neumms

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »

So why would advertisers sign off on this, then? Seems to me it would cost them more to pay money for a plug on a show than it would to just give away free product.

You realize Lee Press-On Nails, for example, paid for the plug besides coughing up $25 worth of product, right? 

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »

Those were sent mid-show.

You sure?  As I recall, the only plugs by 1988 were for better-quality prizes than, say, Lee Press-On Nails or Bedsack.  Prizes that a member of the studio audience may receive.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)