Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 35 years ago yesterday  (Read 9590 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »

It replaced \"Pass the Buck\" on the CBS daytime schedule, and was itself replaced by reruns of \"All In The Family\", moving from 3:30 p.m. to make room for \"M*A*S*H\" reruns.

On a tangentially related note, what was the last series to have daytime reruns aired on network television? I recall reading that one of the game shows that got axed by NBC in 1989 was replaced with reruns, but were there any past that?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:10:54 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

The Pyramids

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 06:41:32 PM »

Are any episodes of the CBS \'TTD\' run on the trading circut, or did it ever air on GSN?

Ian Wallis

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »

GSN has never aired it, but four episodes (in iffy quality) exist on the circuit.

FWIW, I don\'t buy any of this \"placeholder\" stuff either.  It seems a belief by many people that shows like Blockbusters \'87 and Second Chance were just placeholders until Classic Concentration and The Better Sex, respectively, were ready.

Yeah, right...

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 07:04:35 PM »

Well, I think it\'s safe to assume that the return of $25,000 Pyramid in 1988 was just filler. This was because the Combs Feud wasn\'t ready yet after Blackout blacked out.

/See what I did there? :-P

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:05:15 PM by NicholasM79 »

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 07:29:42 PM »

GSN has never aired it, but four episodes (in iffy quality) exist on the circuit.

In fact, the first four are on the internets. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z4HdqsJwwA\'>This being #2 or 4

Vahan_Nisanian

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:17 PM »

To answer Mark Odor\'s question:

The last series to have daytime reruns was none other than Full House, in the summer 1991. And the reruns of the ABC sitcom were, for some reason, on NBC. 1991 was also the same year they began syndicating it to local stations across America.

aaron sica

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 07:46:27 PM »

The last series to have daytime reruns was none other than Full House, in the summer 1991. And the reruns of the ABC sitcom were, for some reason, on NBC. 1991 was also the same year they began syndicating it to local stations across America.

Nope - wrong answer.

The last series that had daytime reruns was \"Designing Women\", which ran during the 10am slot on CBS from May 1991 to June 1992, replaced on the CBS daytime schedule when \"Family Feud\" went to an hour to become \"Family Feud Challenge\".

BrandonFG

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 11:10:17 PM »
When ABC canceled its soaps back in 2011-12 part of me was surprised that they didn\'t try a set of say, \"Modern Family\" reruns instead of \"Good Afternoon America\" or whatever they did when \"The Revolution\" was canceled.

/What a boring title
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

When ABC canceled its soaps back in 2011-12 part of me was surprised that they didn\'t try a set of say, \"Modern Family\" reruns instead of \"Good Afternoon America\" or whatever they did when \"The Revolution\" was canceled.

Quite certain that wouldn\'t have flown considering ABC doesn\'t own the show and Fox had already negotiated the off-network syndie rights...pretty sure that would\'ve created some sort of issue. A pointless one, but one nonetheless.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »

Nope - wrong answer.

The last series that had daytime reruns was \"Designing Women\", which ran during the 10am slot on CBS from May 1991 to June 1992, replaced on the CBS daytime schedule when \"Family Feud\" went to an hour to become \"Family Feud Challenge\".

Well, you\'re both kind of right.  DW\'s reruns started airing before FH\'s did, so FH was the last comedy series to go into network daytime reruns.  But DW\'s reruns lasted longer, so they were the last comedy reruns to air in a network daytime slot.  :)

/Of course, not in Chicago.  WBBM\'s acquisition of Maury Povich\'s show (back when he discussed things besides whether you were or were not the father) took the DW reruns off the air, and the first half hour of FFC never cleared.  Very odd for an O&O to not run a network program.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

aaron sica

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »

/Of course, not in Chicago. WBBM\'s acquisition of Maury Povich\'s show (back when he discussed things besides whether you were or were not the father) took the DW reruns off the air, and the first half hour of FFC never cleared. Very odd for an O&O to not run a network program.

Was WPVI (Philadelphia)  an O&O in 1990? They didn\'t clear MG90......If so, another rare instance of an O&O not clearing a network show...

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 01:21:12 AM »
By then it was.  Wiki sez it didn\'t carry the full ABC daytime sked until 1997, when Disney bought the network and its O&Os.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tyshaun1

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:19 AM »

Well, I think it\'s safe to assume that the return of $25,000 Pyramid in 1988 was just filler. This was because the Combs Feud wasn\'t ready yet after Blackout blacked out.

/See what I did there? :-P

Not necessarily true...... IIRC, CBS had originally picked up Top Secret with Wink Martindale to replace Blackout (there was a board game released and everything), only to reverse course at the last minute and revive Pyramid due to strong viewer demand. Of course, it likely didn\'t hurt that $100K Pyramid was still taping at the time......

Tyshaun

aaron sica

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 02:28:16 AM »

By then it was. Wiki sez it didn\'t carry the full ABC daytime sked until 1997, when Disney bought the network and its O&Os.

That sounds about right. \"The View\" was the first show that caused WPVI to carry the entire 11am-noon ABC offering since the days of \"Laverne & Shirley\" and \"Family Feud\"...

Ian Wallis

35 years ago yesterday
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »

Quite certain that wouldn\'t have flown considering ABC doesn\'t own the show and Fox had already negotiated the off-network syndie rights...

I think this sort of thing has always been true, unless a network owned a show outright.  Back when Bewitched started daytime reruns on ABC in 1968, a TV Guide article at the time stated ABC paid $9 million for the daytime syndication rights, even though they also aired it in prime time.  Just because ABC aired the show didn\'t mean they could just decide to rerun in daytime without negotiating something with ScreenGems first.  I think most shows ended up on the same network in daytime as prime time because they didn\'t want another network getting revenues from a series they ran, and was associated with them.  Probably by the time Full House joined daytime, NBC just outbid ABC - or maybe ABC wasn\'t interested in it.

Interesting, nonetheless.

For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!