Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If you were reviving Double Dare '76...  (Read 8482 times)

SuperMatch93

If you were reviving Double Dare '76...
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »

I don\'t remember: which came first--The Better Sex or Double Dare?

Double Dare was December \'76, The Better Sex was July \'77.

-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Neumms

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 04:33:11 PM »
Damn I loved the casting of the Spoliers. Find the three most awkward doctorate owners you can, then stick them in booths to make it even more awkward. Awkward in a good way, I mean. It strikes me early on they were booed, then Alex put a stop to it.

carlisle96

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 06:19:43 PM »

OK, going back to that revival proposal I\'d seen, instead of the spoilers being Ph.D\'s, they were instead three members of that day\'s studio audience (specifically, the three who had scored the highest on a pre-taping screening test)

How about the Spoilers being past champions? You already know they\'re good at the game.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 06:25:42 PM »
There\'s a reason that you played for Ben Stein\'s money, or tried to defeat the American Gladiators or indeed to beat the Boring Spoilers.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 01:06:26 AM »

Damn I loved the casting of the Spoliers. Find the three most awkward doctorate owners you can, then stick them in booths to make it even more awkward. Awkward in a good way, I mean.

This precisely. This is why I wonder why some people have such a hard-on to change it.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »

There\'s a reason that you played for Ben Stein\'s money, or tried to defeat the American Gladiators or indeed to beat the Boring Spoilers.

And this as well. Playing audience members who tested well (or even superchamps) doesn\'t have nearly as much weight as Ph.D.s. Two doctors and a superchamp? MAYbe, but I have no problem with a panel of three docs. $5K was a decent chunk of change in 1977...playing audience members who just happened to have a good day isn\'t really exciting enough to give away 5 grand.

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Bryce L.

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »

One thing I never understood... why didn\'t they ever mention what fields of study the Spoilers had Ph.D.\'s in?

BrandonFG

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 11:32:57 AM »

Honestly...I don\'t know if there was any relevance in doing so, minus the curiosity factor. The contestant picked clues at random, so there was no advantage there in knowing a doctor\'s field of expertise. However...

Stay with me on this one, a lot of rambling speculation to follow...

I haven\'t watched an episode in years, so I can\'t remember, but if I am remembering the game correctly, you post a revealed (and incorrectly guessed*) clue to a doctor whose area of expertise has been revealed, it could make the game a little too easy and remove the challenge and mystery. Granted it poses a strategy if you know that Dr. Nick Riviera has a Ph.D. in biology, and a question about chlorophyll comes up. Again, it could also make things a little too easy.

*Or did this put the clue out of play?

And if none of that made any sense, then they did it \"Just because\".

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:33:27 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »

*Or did this put the clue out of play?

If the contestant passed on the clue it went unseen by the Spoilers, if the contestant chose to \"give\" the clue, each Spoiler got a chance to guess at it, since none of the three could hear each other.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:22 PM »

I\'m gonna go with this; it sounds a hell of a lot more intimidating to build them up that way. (Otherwise their specialty is pretty irrelevant; it\'s not like the player has much control over the subject being presented to Teh Spoilers.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Mr. Brown

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 11:15:32 PM »

I remember DVR\'ing \"Double Dare\" on GSN thinking it was the classic Marc Summers game... and was actually not disappointed when I found out it wasn\'t.

Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

BrandonFG

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »

I\'m gonna go with this; it sounds a hell of a lot more intimidating to build them up that way. (Otherwise their specialty is pretty irrelevant; it\'s not like the player has much control over the subject being presented to Teh Spoilers.

I checked out an episode last night. For some reason, I thought the player selected which Spoiler he or she wanted to answer. Seeing now that they ask each doctor one by one as Travis mentioned, I totally agree that the specialty is irrelevant.