Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "$ale of the Century" Episode Guide  (Read 81831 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Re: "$ale of the Century" Episode Guide
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 12:57:32 AM »
when in Season 2 did the Winner's Board first appear?
Someone else probably has the specific answer, but from what I can tell it was sometime between September 30 and November 18, 1985, based on when Tim Holleran and Alan Zervetnik [sp?] appeared.

If we can figure out when it changed over, it'd help date a nighttime episode from after the current lease that's on YouTube: Alan/Liz/Wally. The Cash Jackpot is at $55,000, which means it's either April 16 (spoiler tags since it's connected to SRIV94's spoiler-tagged post) or October 2 (if shopping was still present then). Jim notes during his intro that a guy named Sandy [sp?] defeated the current champ and bought a motorcycle, but that's all I can determine.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:54:40 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Allstar87

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »

If we can figure out when it changed over, it'd help date a nighttime episode from after the current lease that's on YouTube: Alan/Liz/Wally. The Cash Jackpot is at $55,000, which means it's either April 16 (spoiler tags since it's connected to SRIV94's spoiler-tagged post) or October 2 (if shopping was still present then).

I'm almost positive it's the former date.

During season 1, the Fame Game board went from multicolored to a yellow/red motif, and the Money Cards went from yellow/red to orange. The numbers on the orange Money Cards went from black to blue immediately after the week Alan/Liz/Wally aired. (I have the Friday episode from that week, as well as the following Monday.)

The orange/blue Money Cards were present on the first season finale, but were replaced by the old yellow/red ones on the second season premiere. (The Fame Game board kept its yellow/red numbers.)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »
Thanks, Ryan. :)

During season 1, the Fame Game board went from multicolored to a yellow/red motif, and the Money Cards went from yellow/red to orange.
Regarding that, I know neither had changed yet on April 8 (spoiler tags since it's related to the other thing I spoiler-tagged).

The numbers on the orange Money Cards went from black to blue immediately after the week Alan/Liz/Wally aired. (I have the Friday episode from that week, as well as the following Monday.)
In that case, and if you don't mind, perhaps you can help me with another episode: for M.J./Adrienne/Dave (the Friday show you mention, if your website is any indication), is Dave a returning champ? If so, is any mention made of what day he's on? I'm curious as to whether he defeated the winner of Alan/Liz/Wally.

On a related note, does anyone know how many days Tim Holleran was on? Jim mentioned on his last show that Tim had made three trips from Connecticut to be on Sale, which suggests three taping days.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
Tim was on for 8 days. His first day was the 100th and last episode of Syndie Sale's first season, as implied on the air by Jim himself.

Also, it would seem Syndie Sale did 5 shows a day, just like its daytime counterpart. Some other Syndicated games did 10 shows a day (i.e. $100,000 Pyramid), and WOF I believe taped 3 daytime shows, and 2 Syndicated shows a day.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:19:24 PM by Vahan_Nisanian »

Allstar87

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2014, 05:21:05 PM »
In that case, and if you don't mind, perhaps you can help me with another episode: for M.J./Adrienne/Dave (the Friday show you mention, if your website is any indication), is Dave a returning champ?

He is not; all three were new players, since the champ the day before took the motorcycle.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2014, 05:31:18 PM »
Okay, thanks. :)

One more thing (I feel like Columbo :P): is the Alan of Fletcher/Mary/Alan (a nighttime Winner's Board show from '85) Zervetnik (spelling based on pronunciation), who eventually cleared out most of the board? If so, what day was he on?

Sorry for asking you so many questions. :(

Tim was on for 8 days.
Just wanted to make sure about that -- I was reasonably sure he was on since at least #S-100.

His first day was the 100th and last episode of Syndie Sale's first season, as implied on the air by Jim himself.
That's weird. I'm pretty sure Matt O. said he was a contestant during the last week of Season 1, and on his episode Jim mentions that there will be new prizes in the endgame for the next five shows (indicating it's a Friday).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:37:11 PM by Dan88 »

ivoryman1986

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2014, 06:06:27 PM »
I remember catnap1972 uploaded the November 29, 1985 episode of $ale before he was asked to put it to private for the time being. I miss catnap1972 uploading his goodies(especially the megasodes and megamixes) myself. Just wish he can return to YT or try his luck with Dailymotion and upload the game shows there. Now on the final Shopping episode of Syndie $ale, what was the cash jackpot on the episode before the debut of the Winner's Board anybody?

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »
His first day was the 100th and last episode of Syndie Sale's first season, as implied on the air by Jim himself.
That's weird. I'm pretty sure Matt O. said he was a contestant during the last week of Season 1, and on his episode Jim mentions that there will be new prizes in the endgame for the next five shows (indicating it's a Friday).

He did.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

WhirlieBird74

« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2014, 10:03:46 PM »
Someone else probably has the specific answer, but from what I can tell it was sometime between September 30 and November 18, 1985, based on when Tim Holleran and Alan Zervetnik [sp?] appeared.
Alan's last name was pronounced and spelled Sudenik.  He lost on his 10th match (in the Winner's Board format), playing for the Mustang convertible, on a costly error in the Speed Round.

Allstar87

« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2014, 11:52:10 PM »

Is the Alan of Fletcher/Mary/Alan (a nighttime Winner's Board show from '85) Zervetnik (spelling based on pronunciation), who eventually cleared out most of the board? If so, what day was he on?

You're fine, always happy to help. Luckily, I had a lot of the episodes handy. :)

That was indeed the Alan you're looking for. Fletcher/Mary/Alan was his 9th game.

ivoryman1986

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2014, 12:40:08 AM »

Is the Alan of Fletcher/Mary/Alan (a nighttime Winner's Board show from '85) Zervetnik (spelling based on pronunciation), who eventually cleared out most of the board? If so, what day was he on?

You're fine, always happy to help. Luckily, I had a lot of the episodes handy. :)

That was indeed the Alan you're looking for. Fletcher/Mary/Alan was his 9th game.
And that was the one that catnap1972 uploaded before. I hope we can help him get back on YT ASAP or get him to Dailymotion and re-upload that episode if he has an external hard drive for that.

PYLdude

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2014, 02:01:21 AM »
Alan's last name was pronounced and spelled Sudenik.  He lost on his 10th match (in the Winner's Board format), playing for the Mustang convertible, on a costly error in the Speed Round.

Correct, but I listen to Jim's pronunciation of the name and it sounds like either you have the D and N reversed or there's an extra couple letters that were omitted ("Sudnednik", it sounded like)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »
#S-048 (03/13/1985): John/Sheila/Mick
#S-049 (03/14/1985): //John
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:22:56 AM by Vahan_Nisanian »

Don Howard

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »
He was playing alone? I'll bet he won!

PYLdude

« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:30 PM »
He was playing alone? I'll bet he won!

Amazingly, he didn't. That was the day that he bombed out and finished with nothing.

The tape didn't resurface until years later, when someone also found the tape for the Caesars Challenge pilot.