Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fremantle Toying With Reviving What's My Line? with Whoopi Goldber  (Read 10462 times)

chad1m

Fremantle has been sending out surveys to certain members of their focus group, and their most recent one makes it clear that they are working with the idea of bringing What\'s My Line? back to TV. The survey and accompanying \"sizzle\" reel notes that they are looking towards Whoopi Goldberg to be the lead panelist. This is how the proposed format would go:

The first round would be the Mystery Guest round, where the guest becomes the fourth panelist for the rest of the program. Rounds two and three would be traditional play at $1,000 a \"No\", with the third contestant having a more \"extreme\" occupation. Video highlights will accentuate the reveal afterwards. An extra round would blindfold the panelists who will have to identify the line by feeling the uniform/accessories the contestant is wearing for his job.

There\'s no network or host or anything like that attached yet, but it\'s clear the wheels are starting to move. I think the reassignment of the Mystery Guest is clever and while I really don\'t think \"Touch the Guest\" is needed, if that\'s where they want to contain the apparently nowadays necessary \"teehee\" humor, that\'s fine.

Whaaaat do you think?

Matt Ottinger

Fremantle Toying With Reviving What's My Line? with Whoopi Goldber
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »

Mr. Ottinger, please define \"mixed feelings\".

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 05:15:41 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

brianhenke

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »

I hope that doesn\'t become another classic format Fremantle messes up with. Since most of us were around for CS 2001 and (previously) MG \'98, we know how much they can change beloved formats into something barely resembling the original.

Brian

Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:07 PM »
Not liking the proposed changes.  
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »
Sounds interesting, although I do have one thought if it goes forward towards having this be an actual series on the air:

After watching part of a what\'s my line pilot from around 2000 online sometime ago, I would lean towards harry Anderson of night court fame as the host.

As I recall watching it, he looked somewhat comfortable being the host, and he sure couldn\'t do any worse then Rossi moreale or Ty treadway or, well you get the idea.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »

Not sure why they need to turn it into a money game. Not overly *offended* by this, mind you, but it seems like it takes away from the point of the show.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Not sure why they need to turn it into a money game. Not overly *offended* by this, mind you, but it seems like it takes away from the point of the show.

I\'ll respectfully disagree. In this day and age, IMHO, most people associate game shows with the idea of winning some money. Dangle ten grand in front of someone and I believe you\'ll find more people with interesting occupations \'wanting\' to be on the show, instead of central casting just going thru their vast rolodex of vacuous pretty people.

Million dollar What\'s My Line is just dumb though.

I like the idea of the Mystery Guest staying and playing. That\'s clever.

Just my opinion.

-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:49:43 PM »

I\'ll respectfully disagree. In this day and age, IMHO, most people associate game shows with the idea of winning some money. Dangle ten grand in front of someone and I believe you\'ll find more people with interesting occupations \'wanting\' to be on the show, instead of central casting just going thru their vast rolodex of vacuous pretty people.

Million dollar What\'s My Line is just dumb though.

Just my opinion.

My concern is how many potential A- or B-list celebs, that would be willing to be a Mystery Guest for 5-7 minutes, would change their mind if they had to stay for the whole show and play panelist as well???

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:50:41 PM by TimK2003 »

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 10:15:43 PM »

I think you can go somewhere in between.  Knock down the money (at most $250 per no, $5K for all 10), and comp contestants for for flight, 2-3 nights hotel, and a small per diem for food.  And hell, you can even make Round 1 be for charity.

This signature is currently under construction.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »

Just my opinion.

Seconded. Never would have thought of that. But then again, panel shows aren\'t really my thing.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:26:27 PM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »

Interesting concept...the Mystery Guest idea is growing on me.

I wonder if by \"extreme\" they mean Mike Rowe/\"Dirty Jobs\"-type occupations?

"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:41:55 PM »
I wonder if by \"extreme\" they mean Mike Rowe/\"Dirty Jobs\"-type occupations?

An example they cited was a nose repairer for the figures on Mount Rushmore.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »

Just my opinion.

Mark Goodson approves.*

I\'ve actually thought about a new What\'s My Line? and in fact even thought of Whoopi as a regular panelist. So I find this to be oddly amusing/

I don\'t like the idea of loading the game full of cash. You kind of suck the fun out of it by making it so...serious. $100 a no and $2000 for stumping is perfectly acceptable, but I suppose I\'m just old school. I think if you find the right panelists and occupations, you don\'t need all that cash. In any case, I\'d love to see What\'s My Line? return to television.

*at least that one time.

/still waiting for TTTT to come back this decade and continue its streak.

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »
Just my opinion.

No, that\'s fair. And I fully understand it\'s hard to get worked up over ten large.

Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 11:14:54 PM »
Whaaaat do you think?

I don\'t totally hate it. The only totally new-to-WML? idea in that description is the guessing by touch, and if executed properly (because that can go down Clusterf*** Alley very easily in my mind) it could work. I would at least sit through a whole pilot.