Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 30th Anniversary of Three Game Show Premieres  (Read 3702 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
30th Anniversary of Three Game Show Premieres
« on: January 03, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
In other words, today is the 30th anniversary of the debuts of Sale of the Century, Hit Man, and Just Men!  (Sale is 30 years old.  I just died a little inside.)

ETA:  Bah, I figured my subject line would be too long.  It said "30th anniversary of Latex balloon allergies, seizure-inducing lights, and testosterone overload!"
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 09:28:41 AM by MikeK »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
Plinko too. I'd be happy just to get one new daytime game, let alone three...

Just Men gave away Mustang convertibles. Anytime a lady won a car, balloons fell. With that open convertible roof, that had to be a safety hazard for anyone with allergies. In fact, did any balloons ever fall towards the audience area? If so, that's just poor planning on the producers' part. Shame on you, Rick Rosner! I'm never watching one of your shows (on Youtube) again!

/Except for Caesar's Challenge
//Okay...Hollywood Squares was decent
///And he did give us CHiPS so...
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Not to worry about the title any more :-)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 01:28:12 PM »
Not to worry about the title any more :-)
Boo hiss, you killjoy.  How are we supposed to make people aware of the dangers of falling balloons on this, the 30th anniversary of the show's premiere? ;-)

Don Howard

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »
It's also the 36th anniversary of opening day for Shoot For The Stars. How can this not be noted by you as a side note? Unless the mental cruelty imposed on my personage by blowing off the Bob Clayton-announced program gives you your sick jollies. Since this neglect comes from someone who didn't call ABC to tell them about (Celebrity) Double Talk I'd expect no less nor better from you. I pity your phase.

Who loves ya, baby? ;)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
It's also the 36th anniversary of opening day for Shoot For The Stars. How can this not be noted by you as a side note?
There were no falling balloons on Shoot for the Stars.  I'll make it up to you by posting something about Blackout's silver anniversary tomorrow.  Shoot!  I'm sorry for the spoiler.

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
There were no falling balloons on Shoot for the Stars.  I'll make it up to you by posting something about Blackout's silver anniversary tomorrow.  Shoot!  I'm sorry for the spoiler.

Do you think deaf people were offended by Blackout? I've always wondered that. I also wonder if they took blind people into consideration when they premiered "Now You See It"..

SuperMatch93

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »

Do you think deaf people were offended by Blackout? I've always wondered that. I also wonder if they took blind people into consideration when they premiered "Now You See It"..

So complaints from amnesiacs were the reason What's Going On? only lasted five episodes?
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
I've gotta find the article, but back in the late spring of 1983, Gloria Steinem led a lawsuit against NBC, not because of the Sale balloons and latex allergies...not because Hit Man was offensive to mobsters*, but because she considered Dream House discriminatory towards homeless people. Turns out one of the guys in Homeless Union 1118 in Rochester, NY saw the show on TV while panhandling outside some diner.

*That particular case was thrown out of court.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:37:21 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

J.R.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:03 PM »
My good friend at the golfing range says $25,000 Pyramid was cancelled because it was offensive to Egyptians.
-Joe Raygor

aaron sica

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:20 PM »
What a coincidence! My good friend at the gym said that "Match Game" was cancelled because of a lawsuit by the Diamond Match Company.....They expected to see their product on the show. Would having fires burning on the set have been a hazard? I've spent years wondering.

pyrfan

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:46:33 AM »
What a coincidence! My good friend at the gym said that "Match Game" was cancelled because of a lawsuit by the Diamond Match Company.....They expected to see their product on the show. Would having fires burning on the set have been a hazard? I've spent years wondering.
See, I had heard that Dumb Dora and Dumb Donald filed defamation-of-character suits against the show. But the lawyer they hired was so dumb, he thought legal briefs were made by Fruit of the Loom.

aaron sica

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 02:26:11 AM »
See, I had heard that Dumb Dora and Dumb Donald filed defamation-of-character suits against the show. But the lawyer they hired was so dumb, he thought legal briefs were made by Fruit of the Loom.

There was a court case thrown out in '76 - Fat Albert vs. Mark Goodson for copyright infringement, until they realized a cartoon character could not sue.

Clay Zambo

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
(Sale is 30 years old.  I just died a little inside.)

Older than that, but your point is taken.  And that's about as depressing as my having former students who are now in their 40s.
czambo@mac.com

alfonzos

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 05:08:30 PM »
I want to play! Concentration received complaints from  people who suffered from ADD.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos