Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: When did you stop watching "<insert show here>"?  (Read 4455 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
When did you stop watching "<insert show here>"?
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
I was not aware that people are getting hurt on the Wipeout course. Sure, they're falling off of the obstacles, but into a tank of water, which is there to cushion the blow.

/And provide splashies.
//Maybe the American Gladiators revival wasn't so far off-base.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
Unrelated to the show itself, the Cleveland market playing Musical Chairs with Feud doesn't help.  In the 13 years since Feud's return (wow, that long?), Feud has been on three channels at time slots ranging from 9 AM to 3:30 AM.  Feud not airing in Cleveland, where Steve Harvey was born and raised, this season is a downer, especially since the show has shown a resurgence since Harvey has started hosting.
Something similar happened in the Norfolk market. Its first season, it had a pretty comfy 10:30 am slot on WTKR, then it moved to noon on WVBT in 2000, and they moved the show all over the place for 2-1/2 years, including at 6:30 am and 2:30 am.

WTVZ got it in spring 2003, and has kept it visible during daytime hours in various spots between 11 am and 6 pm. It now airs from 5-6p. Like you, I can't believe the current version premiered 13 years ago. I've got the first episode somewhere on tape...

Taking this a step further, when [D/ND] forced getting a million dollar winner down our throats.
This as well...you know how you knew a million dollar win was coming up? Joe C. wouldn't shut up about "Will ___ win the million? Find out in ___ minutes!" Thanks, Joe...I'll set my alarm and turn back then!

The syndie version was pretty tolerable.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »
It really wasn't. They got the pacing all wrong. What the syndicated version did was cause me to have a greater appreciation for how well the Australian version handles the same amount of content (and more, really, if you allow for guessing of each case and the bonuses at the end of some episodes). The US version would drag out the first rounds where people aren't supposed to deal, and then rush the part of the show that might have a modicum of excitement to it.
Travis L. Eberle

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »
Unrelated to the show itself, the Cleveland market playing Musical Chairs with Feud doesn't help. In the 13 years since Feud's return (wow, that long?), Feud has been on three channels at time slots ranging from 9 AM to 3:30 AM. Feud not airing in Cleveland, where Steve Harvey was born and raised, this season is a downer, especially since the show has shown a resurgence since Harvey has started hosting.

Its one of the things I don't miss about Cleveland TV. Pittsburgh tends to pick up everything. Cleveland stations have a perpetual obsession with talk shows, extra news programs and judge shows. We only got the first 2-3 months of Hollywood Squares.

Back on topic:

I watched TPIR around the season premieres at 25, 30 and 35. During Bob's last season I watched maybe 3 episodes. I was really, really tired of the bland showcases, the set that had no changes or updates, the focus only on bob, and the fact that they werent doing anything new. I did pick up with the primetime shows, and the model search. (Jeannie and Alicia for the win). I watched a lot in Drew's first year, and on average a few times month.

I don't mind Steve Harvey Feud, but I keep forgetting to watch it, lol.

I'm one of apparently the six people that have no problems with Wheel of Fortune.
insert signature here

BrandonFG

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 03:19:47 PM »
It really wasn't. They got the pacing all wrong. What the syndicated version did was cause me to have a greater appreciation for how well the Australian version handles the same amount of content (and more, really, if you allow for guessing of each case and the bonuses at the end of some episodes). The US version would drag out the first rounds where people aren't supposed to deal, and then rush the part of the show that might have a modicum of excitement to it.
The awkward pacing did give it a very generic feel, not surprising considering Endemaul's assembly line way of game show production. Being it wasn't the literal dog-and-pony show that NBC aired made it an inoffensive way to kill time, but not necessarily something I went out of my way to watch.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Marc412

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
I'll still watch Wheel, but I think the early to mid-90's were the best era overall.  There weren't too many gimmicks to keep track of back then.  There were just two wheel prizes, a Surprise and a Free Spin, and the layout of the wheel changed between rounds.

That said, though, some of today's gimmicks, like the toss-ups, the Wild Card, the Bonus Wheel and the 1/2 Car tags, are welcome additions.

thewhammy_2000

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
A couple of reasons to possibly stop watching a show is either because of a scheduling conflict or possibly the same episodes air after a few weeks (or days). This is really true for shows with a double run. I could remember watching an episode of Harvey Feud for the first half hour and then a couple of weeks later it comes on for the second run.

I still watch (and record) Price on a daily (first-run) basis. Harvey Feud is a close second and Brady Deal is third. All the other game shows I watch on an occasional basis.

I actually stopped watching these shows for various reasons:

Deal or No Deal: When it takes an hour or two to play one game with stories and padding and other giveaways and padding. By the time it came to syndication, I only recored a few episodes but didn't really watch them. The same can be said for Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader and Don't Forget The Lyrics!.

Wipeout: Sometimes ABC would always conflict this with a show I watch and I keep missing it. By the third season, I gave up.

Minute to Win It: At first, I thought this would be a modern take on Beat the Clock, but when they started with the cuts during the game, the padding, the stories, padding with Guy, the tag teaming pairs and whatnot, and knowing they're going to keep their money or bust in the end made it unwatchable to me.

JMFabiano

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 04:21:37 PM »
Hmmmm....well, I only catch CBS Daytime when I'm going to work just before (I otherwise tend to be an oversleeper when I go in later, unfortunately) so I'm hit and miss there.  

I'm on and off with Feud, usually I'll watch the first couple of months of the new season before it doesn't become appointment watching.  I missed the end of Anderson's run, and really didn't watch Karn when they switched sets.  Despite the Buzzerblog hype I've falled out of habit of watching Harvey episodes, for fear that they are heading down the MG98 path as far as spoiling the show's content.  

Bergeron HS when they switched to the double or nothing bonus game, only watched when they changed to H2 when they had Game Show Week.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
I agree with everything the OP said about latter-day Barker TPIR, along with a few others:

* Bob having increasing numbers of senior moments, and coming off as increasingly testy. He also seemed to phone it in a lot of the time (e.g., the constant "historical moment" non-joke).
* Rod sounding bored and lifeless, which seemed to have started ca. 1990 (to be fair, I do remember a few episodes in 2002 where he sounded like he did in the 80s).
* That fugly Hollywood mural set clashed so badly, and the purple/blue/pink was hardly any better.

And finally, there's the loss of the "family" feel the show had when Bob stopped chatting with the models, and moreso when Rod stopped appearing on-camera. IMO, that last semblance of the "family" feel went when Rod died. Since Rich never appeared on-camera in the Barker era, I never felt that he really fit in due to his lack of interaction. At least that was taken care of in the Drew era, but by then, Rich was so freaking loud and shrill that it was hard to sit through a full episode.

Also, other shows:

* WWTBaM? when it moved to syndie with Meredith, simply because I don't like her hosting style (for reasons I've stated previously).

* DoND when the novelty just wore off. It's entirely spectacle to dress up a "game" so flimsy it makes Newlywed Game look like a Jay Wolpert creation.

* 1 vs. 100 when they decided to change the money ladder and rules on every freaking episode.

* Feud when Karn obviously stopped trying. I was surprised to watch some middle-era Karn episodes and actually see him get in a decent ad-lib, but after a while, he somehow thought that repeating the answer four or five times while laughing awkwardly constituted a joke. And I barely watched the O'Hurley era since by then I'd just lost interest in the Feud as a whole. (But having seen a few O'Hurley episodes on YouTube, I think he was a little too slick.)

* J! sometime in the sushi bar era. Alex just seemed so much more cold and impersonal than I remembered from my childhood (granted, I watched some early-90s episodes, and he seemed stiff and distant then, too). He did seem to relax a little once the sushi bar set disappeared, and I really began to notice it when Ken's run started. (In fact, I'm pretty sure Ken was what got me back into becoming a regular J! watcher.)

And on the flipside, count me in as someone who likes modern-day Wheel as it is. When it's just puzzles, and there's nothing more exciting than the prize wedge, it can get a tad repetitive. Particularly if, as was quite often the case until around 2000, Round 1 was an extremely short puzzle with few common letters (and sometimes the last round too — I actually saw one game where the last round was PAYDAY, and there were so many wrong letters that they actually edited out a few turns before it finally went to Speed-Up).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:06:30 AM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock