Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Guest announcers  (Read 5854 times)

Jimmy Owen

Guest announcers
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
In a world where a guy with the nickname "Stuttering John" can be a network-level announcer, yeah, announcing is not that valued as an artform.
You are truly a shameful individual.
That's not nice, J.R.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:51:37 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

J.R.

Guest announcers
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 07:01:49 PM »
That's not nice, J.R.
Neither are your stupid, immature, petulant, inflammatory, trollish excuse for "posts".

Do us all a favor and shut the fuck up.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 07:06:46 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Jimmy Owen

Guest announcers
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 07:15:37 PM »
That's not nice, J.R.
Neither are your stupid, immature, petulant, inflammatory, trollish excuse for "posts".

I have my opinions.  I am not shy about expressing them.  How you react to them is something that is within your power.  I don't try to supress discussion.

BrandonFG

Guest announcers
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
Stop, please, just stop. It's one thing to have an opinion. It's another thing when you go out of your way to disagree or be contrary. You can play innocent all you want, but you know you're guilty of baiting posters here with the occasional offensive statement, and Joe is not the first to notice it. You've got two people in this thread alone calling you out for your statement about Stuttering John.

Again, you have gone on record for defending the more uninformed posters, which is why you continue with posts like this one.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Guest announcers
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »
That's not nice, J.R.

I have my opinions.  I am not shy about expressing them.  How you react to them is something that is within your power.  I don't try to supress discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgT1qksYgxk
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chad1m

Guest announcers
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 07:31:36 PM »
I have my opinions.
And they're now only the second set to appear on my "ignore" list since 2006.

Jimmy Owen

Guest announcers
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
Messages recieved.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Guest announcers
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Guest announcers
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 08:05:13 PM »
Habits changed?
Let it go, man. His actions going forward will determine that.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Guest announcers
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 08:39:11 PM »
What exactly were John's Melendez' qualifications for getting the Tonight show?

In a similar vein, what the hell were Joel Godard's qualifications on Conan 1.0? Godard was so damn shrill he made Rich Fields' shrieking "HERE IT CAAAAAMHS!!!" sound like Don Pardo in comparison.
Bobby Peacock

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Guest announcers
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »
In a similar vein, what the hell were Joel Godard's qualifications on Conan 1.0?
Does six years under his belt as an NBC staff announcer meet your exacting specifications?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Guest announcers
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »
What exactly were John's Melendez' qualifications for getting the Tonight show?

In a similar vein, what the hell were Joel Godard's qualifications on Conan 1.0? Godard was so damn shrill he made Rich Fields' shrieking "HERE IT CAAAAAMHS!!!" sound like Don Pardo in comparison.
His main qualification was being an NBC announcer in New York. As for his personality, I think the difference was that Godard was supposed to be intentionally over-the-top, for the zany quirkiness of the show. At times, he was almost parodying the exuberant late-night announcer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Guest announcers
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 08:57:14 PM »
and I think Burton filled in once because Rich had laryngitis.
He did -- December 22, 2006.

Likewise, Wheel did on-air auditions after Charlie's death (although I doubt the 3 weeks Johnny Gilbert did were true "auditions" so much as a last-minute replacement).
Johnny's first and third weeks were definitely that, as I think Pat noted it at least once; the second was more "Hey, Charlie died, could you dub over these five episodes for us?"

in addition to everything being done in post, a lot of shows knock out their seasons over the summer or in a month or two, so it's not like Joey Fatone* has to worry about whether Chris Kirkpatrick can fill in for him this coming Tuesday, with Lance Bass announcing on Thursday.

*/Gotta admit, that was a left-field choice for Family Feud
Not really. Fatone's work for Feud has amounted to one opening spiel, which got chopped down in post after the show left Orlando. Say what you want about Burton, but at least he was there in the studio.

If an announcer isn't available, just dub him in post.
It's quite possible that an announcer has missed tapings, but the sub wasn't acknowledged on-camera and the show acted as if the regular announcer was always there. I once read that Jeopardy! does that if Johnny Gilbert is unavailable.

I think part of the problem is that some announcers sound pre-recorded, such as Rolonda Watts on Temptation and all the Season 28 subs on Wheel, when in at least some cases they were actually in the studio.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

SamJ93

Guest announcers
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 09:23:21 PM »
As for his personality, I think the difference was that Godard was supposed to be intentionally over-the-top, for the zany quirkiness of the show. At times, he was almost parodying the exuberant late-night announcer.

And as over-the-top as he was, I much prefer him over Andy Richter announcing on "Conan."  While I like Andy as a comedian and foil, he just doesn't have the announcing chops needed to open a show well.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

trainman

Guest announcers
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 09:24:04 PM »
At times, he was almost parodying the exuberant late-night announcer.

I think fixing that is proper, based on many of the comedy sketches in which he appeared.
trainman is a man of trains