Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jonathan Goodson's 'Price Is Right'  (Read 14229 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Jonathan Goodson's 'Price Is Right'
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:29 AM »
One thing I thought would be neat would be to save the show's top tier games and use them in rotation for the showcase round.
WHY would you even CONSIDER that?
Man, did I pee in your Cheerios recently? Chill the eff out.

Okay, maybe I am being a little more dickish than perhaps I should. Apologies.

Price 94 used Range Game.
Which worked pretty well, IMO as I've said.

The French and Italian versions currently play Clock Game.

I COULD get behind that, but only if they gave you a little more time than 30 seconds.

Aussie Price uses the pricing half of Hole In One with a dash of Bullseye I.

Eh. I don't know about that one.

I worded it wrong (my fault), but I'm just of the belief that some of the pricing games, if tweaked right, would translate well as "bonus games" in the show's rotation.

I don't disagree on the "some" part, but I think that list would probably be limited to a very few- Range Game would be one, Clock Game would be another, but beyond that I don't know too many others that would translate well. I kinda like Five Price Tags in theory, but I think in practice it wouldn't do as well.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 03:53:35 AM »
What don't you know about it? The first half is two player Bullseye, and to win the showcase the winner has to sort the prizes in order by cost. Whether or not you like it or think that's a good way to go about that, well, make that claim and then we can hash it out.

If it meant we got to see a few of the big ticket games more often (Super Ball, Temptation, et al), I would be totally behind the idea that there was a stable of five or so games that you could pull from that would become that day's Showcase Game.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2012, 03:59:36 AM »
What don't you know about it? The first half is two player Bullseye, and to win the showcase the winner has to sort the prizes in order by cost. Whether or not you like it or think that's a good way to go about that, well, make that claim and then we can hash it out.

Are we just on two wavelengths that aren't connecting? Because I thought it was clear that I wasn't fully sold on the idea.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2012, 04:22:04 AM »
Are we just on two wavelengths that aren't connecting? Because I thought it was clear that I wasn't fully sold on the idea.
What about it didn't you like?
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:24 AM »
What about it didn't you like?

Admittedly this is sight unseen, but reading the concept I just found it a little more unwieldy than I would feel comfortable with.

golden-road

« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 05:23:26 AM »

OK!'s back on?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »

OK!'s back on?
It was Belgium- that version has since been taken off the air. I don't know why I thought Italy got a revival as well.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »

I COULD get behind that, but only if they gave you a little more time than 30 seconds.
If a $2000 range is given with 30 seconds, does that work?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
Show me some prizes and give me thirty seconds, and I'll win the Showcase every time.  If it's a random five-digit number, that's different.  But I'm within $5k in the first five seconds, and within $1K in ten.  After that, it's just hundreds.  Piece of cake.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:28 PM »
Show me some prizes and give me thirty seconds, and I'll win the Showcase every time.  If it's a random five-digit number, that's different.  But I'm within $5k in the first five seconds, and within $1K in ten.  After that, it's just hundreds.  Piece of cake.
I'll make the point that you're also in a completely different stratum than 99.999% of TPIR contestants.

/and by different I mean higher.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2012, 01:10:52 PM »
Even if it is a random five digit number, if your first four bids are the median of the solution set, you're still within $6K in a matter of 8 or 9 seconds.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Even if it is a random five digit number, if your first four bids are the median of the solution set, you're still within $6K in a matter of 8 or 9 seconds.
Pretty sure this is what Matt is saying. If it's a completely random five-digit number between 1 and 99999, and you're not within 6,250 in the first five seconds, you fail at Clock Game.

(Admittedly, keeping your cool under TV lighting with thousands of dollars on the line is an issue. But the primary point is that in Clock-game-as-regular-pricing-game, you have to do it twice in thirty seconds, and halfway-decent players do it with a solid ten seconds left on the clock. Only doing it once, even with a random number, there is no reason you shouldn't be within 500 or so in those first fifteen seconds; the only thing that might draw it out is if they force you to recite the entire number with every guess.)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 01:37:08 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe