Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Pyramid  (Read 75499 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Pyramid
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2012, 05:43:27 PM »
I think Henry was more of a recurring guest star on Webster than a regular cast member.

And? Jane Lynch was a recurring guest star on Two and a Half Men before she went on Glee and I can remember seeing her a lot more than I ever saw Henry Polic II on Webster.

Admittedly, it's been about 15 years since I've seen an episode of Webster but my point is that recurring guest stars don't necessarily fade away.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:51:52 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

snowpeck

The Pyramid
« Reply #166 on: August 02, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
I think Henry was more of a recurring guest star on Webster than a regular cast member.

And? Jane Lynch was a recurring guest star on Two and a Half Men before she went on Glee and I can remember seeing her a lot more than I ever saw Henry Polic II on Webster.

Admittedly, it's been about 15 years since I've seen an episode of Webster but my point is that recurring guest stars don't necessarily fade away.
Polic was a regular on Webster's first season (even credited in the main title) but after that, his appearances were much more sporadic-- usually only two or three a season.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Pyramid
« Reply #167 on: August 02, 2012, 06:18:05 PM »
What's funny is that I was considering getting all adversarial about this, considering the source, but then I actually did the research.

According to IMDB (yeah, yeah), HP2 appeared on 54 episodes of the 150 episodes produced. That's pretty much the textbook definition of a recurring character.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
The Pyramid
« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2012, 06:35:18 PM »
What's funny is that I was considering getting all adversarial about this, considering the source, but then I actually did the research.

According to IMDB (yeah, yeah), HP2 appeared on 54 episodes of the 150 episodes produced. That's pretty much the textbook definition of a recurring character.

I don't think anybody's arguing whether or not he was a recurring character...my point, again, is that some are more memorable than others.

Hell, I watched Diff'rent Strokes every day for about five or six years when I was little and I didn't even know that there were two other maids after Mrs. Garrett until years later when I started watching the reruns again. (only one of those, technically, can be considered recurring I think)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:35:50 PM by PYLdude »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Jay Temple

The Pyramid
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2012, 01:42:01 AM »
-I like the new tiebreaker format- never thought about doing it that way before.
I was thinking about this. I don't dislike the idea as a viewer, but I find it a little surprising. The old tie-breaker takes less time, which to a cost-conscious producer is an objectively good thing.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

bulldog_06

The Pyramid
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2012, 12:55:36 AM »
I believe The Pyramid will have the biggest ratings in the history of GSN. Has any GSN original show gotten over a 1.0 rating?

Marc412

The Pyramid
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2012, 02:28:46 AM »
-I like the new tiebreaker format- never thought about doing it that way before.
I was thinking about this. I don't dislike the idea as a viewer, but I find it a little surprising. The old tie-breaker takes less time, which to a cost-conscious producer is an objectively good thing.
The new tiebreaker format also means more work for the writers.  I figure they had to come up with about 15 words for each letter in case a team is really good.

aaron sica

The Pyramid
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2012, 03:58:34 AM »
Hell, I watched Diff'rent Strokes every day for about five or six years when I was little and I didn't even know that there were two other maids after Mrs. Garrett until years later when I started watching the reruns again. (only one of those, technically, can be considered recurring I think)

I, too, was a DS fan when I was a child and you would be right. Nedra Volz (Adelaide) was the housekeeper for half of season 2 and all of season 3 and 4, however, I don't remember seeing her a whole lot and she never got billing in the opening credits. Mary Jo Catlett (Pearl) was the housekeeper for the rest of the run (seasons 5-8) and got billing in the opening credits from season 6 on. Had to YouTube the opening credits as I wasn't sure about ol' Pearl...

Unrealtor

The Pyramid
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:10 AM »

I think it's only really going to take a substantial amount of additional studio time if they need multiple rounds of tiebreakers. It's certainly possible for that to happen, but I'd guess that it's somewhat less likely under this format than it was with the '70s tiebreaker format because it allows good teams to rack up 8+ points.

They could always take Old Man Stewart's approach and show all of the tiebreakers that end in ties so that they aren't wasting studio time on things that won't air, but since the show is one-and-done, that wouldn't be terribly fair once they ran out of time for the second game.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jay Temple

The Pyramid
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2012, 12:16:30 PM »
The new tiebreaker format also means more work for the writers.  I figure they had to come up with about 15 words for each letter in case a team is really good.
This makes me wonder when the different categories were put together, because that's (by your quite reasonable estimate) 30 words they won't want to use again for a while if they're used.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Jeremy Nelson

The Pyramid
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
One of the things I hope they do is throw in marginally tougher words after the first 5 or so...because what's really going to keep a giver from passing on a couple words that may take longer to get?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »
Easy fix: a pass/cuckoo either ends your round, costs you a point or costs you five seconds.

Fifteen words. R L Y.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The Pyramid
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2012, 02:45:33 PM »
Easy fix: a pass/cuckoo either ends your round, costs you a point or costs you five seconds
I think a quicker version of this that isn't such a drastic change midstream would be to not allow passing in the tiebreaker. Under the assumption this is the tiebreaker we have to live with, that change would help prevent multiple tiebreakers by throwing some strategic "stumper" words in one or both of the stacks at opportune moments.

-Jason
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:45:40 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
The Pyramid
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
Easy fix: a pass/cuckoo either ends your round, costs you a point or costs you five seconds
I think a quicker version of this that isn't such a drastic change midstream would be to not allow passing in the tiebreaker. Under the assumption this is the tiebreaker we have to live with, that change would help prevent multiple tiebreakers by throwing some strategic "stumper" words in one or both of the stacks at opportune moments.
Then I just read aloud "quadratic" and move along to "quiet."
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
The Pyramid
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
Then let's double back and throw out the new tiebreaker. :) Actually, so long as the writing is okay, the pass/cuckoo workaround shouldn't hinder things too much. They should be mindful of that potential flaw and try not to throw too many intimidating-looking words in the mix.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck