Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: $ale of the ˘entury press photos  (Read 25395 times)

Matt Ottinger

$ale of the ˘entury press photos
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
I seem to remember Brooke Shields was a frequent guest on those specials.
Off my lawn.

Yeah, I don't see any way that's from a game show.  I wouldn't be surprised if Bob dropped by a game or two in his career.  At some point, I think he just wandered the halls at NBC Burbank looking for shows to be on.  But a posed shot with him and Brooke has to be promoting one of the umpteen specials they did together in the eighties.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
The pictures of the contestants at the main game area doesn't appear to be much different from the 1978-1980 era, other than the fact that they're sitting down, instead of standing up.

Sure looks to me like those pictures ARE from the 1978-80 era. The dice table's a lot shorter in the picture where Ruta has her back to the camera.

I figure the color ones are all from the revival.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2012, 11:39:33 AM »
But in some of those 1978-1980 era photos, the contestants are seated. I don't remember them doing that during that era of the show. Could they be from very early on in the series?

Here's a promo for the premieres of CS '78 and HR '78

On a side note, I'd love to see the original 74-76 HR one day. If I'm not mistaken, at least two episodes are available for viewing somewhere.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:40:32 AM by gameshowlover87 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2012, 11:43:46 AM »
On a side note, I'd love to see the original 74-76 HR one day. If I'm not mistaken, at least two episodes are available for viewing somewhere.
I saw one at the Museum of TV and Radio in NYC. There might be one at UCLA.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2012, 11:46:58 AM »
But in some of those 1978-1980 era photos, the contestants are seated. I don't remember them doing that during that era of the show. Could they be from very early on in the series?

I'm sure I've seen at least one episode on the Tubes where they were sitting- maybe it was just like TJW when it came back, everyone sat at first but by a certain point everybody was standing.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
UCLA has the 2nd pilot for the 1978 revival in their collection. I'm not sure if the contestants were seated in that one, either.

PYLdude

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2012, 11:54:11 AM »
UCLA has the 2nd pilot for the 1978 revival in their collection. I'm not sure if the contestants were seated in that one, either.

Well, there would be only one way to find out, wouldn't there?

toddyo

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
FYI....there are some off air or network feed recordings at the Cincinnati Historical Society, mainly of NBC daytime. My guess is they were part of tapes WLWT donated, along with Paul Dixon and Bob Braun shows and excerpts. I seem to recall more than a few seconds of HR and Hollywood Squares sprinkled within them.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2012, 12:16:28 PM »
I seem to remember Brooke Shields was a frequent guest on those specials.
Off my lawn.
If I remembered Brooke Shields on Bob Hope's specials from 30 years ago, wouldn't others have to get off my lawn? ;-)  Given the drought-like weather, it's more like getting off of my dirt pit at this point...

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:34 PM »
The High Rollers thing isn't that hard. The contestants always sat down on the Trebek version, and stood up to roll the dice in the revival. Observe. Chris is right insofar as the color pictures I could punch up were from 78-80, and the black & whites were all from the first run.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
Unless, of course, the pictures of them sitting down are from the pilot for the 1978 revival.
Well, the second one isn't, at least, because Ruta's there playing croupier. (At least, I think that's sufficient evidence.)

EDIT: Oh, and rolling dice. Note the table faces her and the contesti are sitting along the long side.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 01:09:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
At some point, I think he just wandered the halls at NBC Burbank looking for shows to be on.
You've got him confused with Scatman Crothers. Seriously. Scatman used to hang out at NBC, roaming around, schmoozing with the guards. We'd finish taping at 6 pm and there he'd be.

40onTheBlue

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2012, 07:02:38 PM »
To whomever wanted to see rare pictures of the 1974 and 1978 versions of High Rollers, here you go:

http://www.gettyimag...ers+game+show#8

Ask and ye shall receive!

That would be me. Thank you very much. :)
Greetings from Canada.

PYLdude

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:14 PM »
The High Rollers thing isn't that hard. The contestants always sat down on the Trebek version, and stood up to roll the dice in the revival. Observe. Chris is right insofar as the color pictures I could punch up were from 78-80, and the black & whites were all from the first run.

-Jason

And the more I thought of it the more I couldn't remember any time where I saw the contestants standing either...so thank you, Jason, for confirming that I know way too much minutiae about things. :)

40onTheBlue

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
Here's some interesting shots of Jack Barry's Tic Tac Dough from 1956. There's behind the scenes shots of the rotating category board too!
The photo of the board from behind fascinates me. Building and maintaining it must've been quite a feat of engineering. It'd be great to hear the story from whoever created it. Now, if there were photos somewhere of the other side of the original Concentration and Jeopardy! boards, you'd have to peel me off the floor.
Back in the '70s, NBC had a Saturday Morning kids show called "Go".  No, not the game show, this was a show that took its cameras to various places of interest.  One show went behind the scenes at NBC and they showed the "Jeopardy!" board from the rear, with guys quickly lifting the money and answer cards out of their slots as the contestants called them.

That particular episode would be a real treat to see. I can only guess, however, that the master tapes of many Saturday morning children's shows were probably also subject to mass erasure back then, weren't they?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:23:11 PM by 40onTheBlue »
Greetings from Canada.