Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Todd Newton  (Read 4654 times)

JMFabiano

Todd Newton
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »
Todd should be doing TPIR on CBS. He is rock-solid when it comes to format. Unfortunately TPTB at the time never gave him a fair shot.

Based on what I've seen he would run rings around Drew Carey.

Yeah, I've enjoyed him the two out of three times I was at TPIR Live (David Ruprecht was there the other time).  And I could have sworn he got the job to groom him eventually for the CBS version.  But I guess they wanted a name, plus someone different from Barker (Todd does borrow a bit from Bob's schtick, like the teasing reveals)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Todd Newton
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »
But I guess they wanted a name, plus someone different from Barker (Todd does borrow a bit from Bob's schtick, like the teasing reveals)
They wanted a name. They would have otherwise been totally content with a clone of Barker minus the a) late-career senility and b) treatment of his co-workers.

/and by "treatment" I mean "porking"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Todd Newton
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »
But I guess they wanted a name, plus someone different from Barker (Todd does borrow a bit from Bob's schtick, like the teasing reveals)
They wanted a name. They would have otherwise been totally content with a clone of Barker
They wanted Dave Price and they pissed away a lot of money doing "auditions" of him that didn't pan out. They settled for Drew, who didn't have to audition for TPIR but is buddies with Les Moonves and Nina Tassler, and he's taking them to the cleaners IMHO.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 02:40:56 PM by chris319 »

14gameshows

Todd Newton
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
Amen brother!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
Todd Newton
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »
I didn't think Todd would win, but a very well deserved congratulations to him! I couldn't be more happier for him, because out of all the nominees he seemed to be the modest one. He's had one of those careers where you knew who he was, but he never "exploded" onto the scene, but as others said that was no fault of his own. It is so nice to see him snag one.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

dmota104

Todd Newton
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 09:26:23 PM »
Best Game Show Host, Todd won for Family Game Night on HUB.

Todd has taken a few hits on this board over the years, but in my not-so-humble opinion, few have deserved this recognition more. In 13 years of working with Todd - thousands of stage performances and TV episodes - he has always stretched to make his work fresh, relateable and fun for the audiences, as well as fun for those working with him.

Barker, Pat, Alex and the other veterans are all masters at their craft, but they are also so well-supported by large staffs who have been doing it for years. Todd has shown poise and polish when the staffs are small, the back-up from cue cards and prompters limited, the audiences unfamiliar with the show, the equipment unpredictable, and every other kind of challenge.

And, oh yes. Todd really is a kind and caring guy. Congrats to a pro!

I loved his work -- and yours as well, Randy -- on "Hollywood Showdown".  He did a fantastic job with "Whammy!"  

We were bummed when the odds of a third season of "Family Game Night" didn't look great.  Thankfully, it's since been renewed and Todd has his well-earned Emmy.

Going forward, if we're not talking about a fourth, fifth, etc., season of FGN, something's wrong here.  As I opined before, Team FGN is made up of a group of folks who know how to produce a quality game show.  I don't mind telling you I have the video game ("Family Game Night 4: The Game Show") at home.

By my recollection, no cable game show has last beyond six seasons (WBSM had six seasons on Comedy Central, "Remote Control" had five seasons over three years on MTV plus one seasons in syndication, Canadian-based TNCR had five seasons on USA Network).  If there's a group that can break that record, it's Team FGN.

Congrats, Todd.

clemon79

Todd Newton
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 10:14:26 PM »
Canadian-based TNCR had five seasons on USA Network).
It only *felt* like ten.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Todd Newton
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »
Canadian-based TNCR had five seasons on USA Network).
It only *felt* like ten.
Interesting, last week I watched an episode of the show back when they had pairs of contestants and a jackpot that kicked off at the dizzying heights of $3,000.

And I liked it. Sure, the set looked like someone horked up pink and blue on plywood that was bought in bulk, and the contestants were likely playing a game in their second language, but it was a good game that moved along and had gobs of play along value. They were certainly closer to the mark than Davies unt Co. ever were.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:36:35 PM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

Todd Newton
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »
They were certainly closer to the mark than Davies unt Co. ever were.
I'm not disagreeing. At least Davies had Instant Reaction, though. Neither one of them hold a candle to Uncle Bill.

BrandonFG

Todd Newton
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
It's been close to 6 years so my memory may be off. Wasn't the Davies' version's problem the idiotic but attractive contestants? I seem to remember the show itself being okay.

/Theme song was pretty lousy too
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Todd Newton
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 10:54:09 PM »
Wasn't the Davies' version's problem the idiotic but attractive contestants? I seem to remember the show itself being okay.
I'd give half-credit because I also thought the wagering round was ill-fitting, especially given the contestants.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Todd Newton
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 10:56:44 PM »
It's been close to 6 years so my memory may be off. Wasn't the Davies' version's problem the idiotic but attractive contestants? I seem to remember the show itself being okay.

/Theme song was pretty lousy too

The betting round was dumb too, and Dylan Lane didn't set the world on fire.

Not to say GSN had done a solid job choosing hosts during that era anyway- although I gotta figure Roger Lodge might have done better if they gave him this instead of the dud Camouflage turned out to be.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

Todd Newton
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:12 PM »
I seem to remember the show itself being okay.
No, it was pretty much crap top to bottom.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Todd Newton
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
I'm not disagreeing. At least Davies had Instant Reaction, though. Neither one of them hold a candle to Uncle Bill.
That's not even arguable, really. That's just plain ol' incontrovertible scientific fact.
Travis L. Eberle

Mrs. GameShow

Todd Newton
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »
Steve just posted a post on his Facebook page Congratulating Todd.  

Go check it out.

Remember the easiest way to reach Steve if you haven't "liked" his FB page is to go to his website and click the FB link.

[color="#000080"][size="7"][/size]Steve Ryan Games[/color]

Cathi Ryan
Personal Assistant to Steve Ryan