Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trump Card finals script  (Read 1973 times)

SFQuizKid

Trump Card finals script
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:09:20 AM »
I found among my collection a copy of the host language script for the Trump Card $100,000 tournament of champions.  

http://www.quizkids....inalsScript.pdf

Some background on this tournament:  The top 21 money winners from the season appeared in the tournament--generally these were the players who won all three rounds of the main game and cleared the bonus board for a total of $15,500.  The host language in the script gives the details of the tournament structure.

One now-infamous fact about the $100,000 grand prize was that it wasn't automatically awarded to the winner.  Instead, as with the million dollar prize on WOF, or the $100,000 Pyramid prize, the ultimate champion had to clear the bonus board in order to win the money.  

The script is fascinating for how it predicts pretty much every eventuality.

trustno1

Trump Card finals script
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 04:06:06 PM »
At least now I know how their top 21 works.
"Let the Memory live again!" - Cats

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Trump Card finals script
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 04:12:11 PM »
At least now I know how their top 21 works.
And it gets the tournament done in a two-week period in a clever way.
Travis L. Eberle

Neumms

Trump Card finals script
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »
I take it the winner of the finals did NOT win the $100,000? Does anyone recall, were the questions harder than usual?

SFQuizKid

Trump Card finals script
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »
I take it the winner of the finals did NOT win the $100,000? Does anyone recall, were the questions harder than usual?

I was there at the taping.  They were all killers.  I don't remember specifics, but they were not run of the mill bonus questions. The player got a choice of three packets, so I'm not sure if they were equally hard or not.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Trump Card finals script
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:46:28 PM »
There's no way that having a tournament of champions end with a complete thud and bonus round loss can go badly.

Not one.

A producer who knows what he's doing would make sure that the bonus game had easier questions than normal, but not so much so that the bonus game becomes a blitz.
Travis L. Eberle

weaklink75

Trump Card finals script
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »
Interesting to see they had a time limit in Round 3- I always thought they would have just edited deadballs out of the show...

Jeremy Nelson

Trump Card finals script
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
One other thing I saw in there that would peturb me:

If time's running short, the person with the most numbers covered on their card wins. However, if you're trumped when the bell sounds, you can't win.

So I cover 14, and I lose because my opponent trumps me in the last minute? Ouch.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Trump Card finals script
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:48:18 PM »
So I cover 14, and I lose because my opponent trumps me in the last minute? Ouch.
That didn't occur to me, because the game was almost always over before that point.
Travis L. Eberle

Jeremy Nelson

Trump Card finals script
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 09:10:56 PM »
That didn't occur to me, because the game was almost always over before that point.
This is true. There's even a game on Youtube where at the end I think there were only 4 or 5 uncovered squares between the three players, and it still got completed.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.