Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A small observational question...  (Read 3864 times)

Jumpondees

A small observational question...
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
They could have been doing this for a while now and I just may have not noticed it until now, but while watching TPIR this week I noticed some of the contestants were wearing lavalier microphones.  I am curious as to when and why this practice started? I know it seems a bit nitpicky, but after watching this show for as many years as I have, it just seems strange I pick up on this now.

geno57

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 03:59:30 PM »
I don't see the show very often at all, but as a TV audio guy, that definitely seems odd to me, considering the time and the fuss of putting on a lav.  (Assuming they bother to hide the wire under clothing, etc.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
I don't see the show very often at all, but as a TV audio guy, that definitely seems odd to me, considering the time and the fuss of putting on a lav.  (Assuming they bother to hide the wire under clothing, etc.)
Plus the fact that anytime a contestant needs to talk she's near the host who has a stick mike.
Travis L. Eberle

Otm Shank

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
This was noted in the other forum a few weeks ago. It seemed like it was an isolated occasion, but now it appears to be happening more often.

I have often noticed the Doppler shifting of contestant responses because of poor microphone skills (which is odd, because the host doesn't need to use the stick mic for himself, since he already has a lav mic). This could correct the situation, plus the contestant can also be heard when they are celebrating a win standing next to their prize (as they are instructed to do now).

Kevin Prather

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »
plus the contestant can also be heard when they are celebrating a win standing next to their prize (as they are instructed to do now).
I'd almost be willing to bet this is the reason. My question would be this: when do they put the lav on them? Do they really do a stop-down before each IUFB is brought out? And if they put the lav on the player before their name is called, that's just all kinds of suck.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
I'd almost be willing to bet this is the reason. My question would be this: when do they put the lav on them? Do they really do a stop-down before each IUFB is brought out?
Are people seeing them in Contestant's Row? I haven't seen it so I figured they were doing it when they got up on stage.

It's idiotic at any rate, but...

And if they put the lav on the player before their name is called, that's just all kinds of suck.
...if they're doing this, as much as the Chicken Little's annoy me, that would really be a shark-jumping moment for the show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Otm Shank

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:39:33 AM »
Haven't paid close enough attention to it, but someone on g-r.net said that those contestants that won on their first One Bid were not wired. Those that had a chance to sit in the green seats were wired. Presumably, the first contestant of the show is also not wired.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:11:13 AM »
Haven't paid close enough attention to it, but someone on g-r.net said that those contestants that won on their first One Bid were not wired. Those that had a chance to sit in the green seats were wired. Presumably, the first contestant of the show is also not wired.
If you're going to do it, that's probably the best way.  And if you feel you have to mike everybody, plan for a stopdown for the first contestant (probably after the prize copy is read for his pricing game) and for any other contestant who makes it on stage on his first bid.

They may be working toward a situation where Drew no longer has to carry around a microphone at all.  That might take a little getting used to, but also gives him a bit more freedom.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
The contestant can also be heard when they are celebrating a win standing next to their prize (as they are instructed to do now).

We're sure to hear a lot of gems now. Miking the models has added so much already. Cripes,

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
They may be working toward a situation where Drew no longer has to carry around a microphone at all.  That might take a little getting used to, but also gives him a bit more freedom.
That would bug the crap out of me, honestly. Admittedly, I also know more about the production of this show than anyone really should than the average Joe, and the average viewer is probably not going to notice (or care about) the sudden appearance of a mic, but I really would be annoyed knowing that somewhere between the open and the first contestant playing their pricing game, there was a necessary stopdown while they got wired up. (The other three people could get wired up easily enough while the first PG was being played.) Honestly, I'm not thrilled about stopping down for it now when it's not too much to ask the host to develop mic skills instead. (Hell, Barker not only made it work, he was tethered to a wired mic for how many years?)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chad1m

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »
Because I apparently have the time for this sort of thing, here's what I noticed on today's episode, a lot of which is corroborated above: None of the contestants come on down with a mic on, so when one of the first four contestants plays game #1, he/she is not wearing a mic. By the time the second contestant comes down, everyone is wearing one. If a contestant comes on down and doesn't win that immediate one-bid, he is mic'd by the next one-bid.
No contestant won their immediate one-bid outside of the first one, so I didn't get to see what happens, if anything, if a later contestant comes up right away.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:17:15 PM by chad1m »

Jumpondees

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:30:27 PM »
"...the average viewer is probably not going to notice (or care about) the sudden appearance of a mic"

I think that is why a lot of us are here, we are not the average viewers, LOL

The average viewers are stuck over in "purgatory" for lack of a better term.

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 01:24:07 AM »
I noticed the other day that the Plinko contestant was mic'd. That at least made sense to me since it would be difficult to get good audio out of them when they're standing at the top of the board.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »
I've mixed enough audio to know that when you have two or more mics in close proximity you're inviting phase cancellation/comb filtering issues. Oh well.

Say, does Don Skinner still mix the show? He is a fine technician. We go back more years than either of us would like to admit.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 04:41:53 PM »
I noticed the other day that the Plinko contestant was mic'd. That at least made sense to me since it would be difficult to get good audio out of them when they're standing at the top of the board.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there was a mic up there in the past anyway.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck