Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MTV2 picks up "Hip Hop Squares"...  (Read 41307 times)

Jay Temple

MTV2 picks up "Hip Hop Squares"...
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2012, 02:24:22 PM »
I liked handing over the stack of cash for the G spot. It felt a little old school in a very good way.
I didn't pay much attention to that, but you're right. It makes me think of The Joker's Wild, even though it's more similar to the Terminator on Greed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:24:51 PM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

chad1m

« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2012, 02:03:52 AM »
For those still looking for parallels to previous versions, on last night's episode the show's announcer DJ Ms. Nix was a panelist with turntables and all in the bottom center square, similar to Shadoe Stevens in the 80s.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 02:04:22 AM by chad1m »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2012, 10:37:45 AM »
For those still looking for parallels to previous versions, on last night's episode the show's announcer DJ Ms. Nix was a panelist with turntables and all in the bottom center square, similar to Shadoe Stevens in the 80s.

Oh, good call. Gives her more camera time (theoretically) and adds a female to the panel. Win-win.
@lambertman

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Oh, good call. Gives her more camera time (theoretically) and adds a female to the panel. Win-win.
Saves them a few bucks, too. One less star to book.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2012, 02:30:47 PM »
Seems to me that it'd be common sense to make this permanent. Always book eight celebs instead of nine, and always have a good-looking lady playing. For their demographic, that's perfect.

clemon79

« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Seems to me that it'd be common sense to make this permanent. Always book eight celebs instead of nine, and always have a good-looking lady playing. For their demographic, that's perfect.
I'm inclined to agree. Time will tell if this ends up being the case.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #126 on: June 07, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »
Oog, I could barely make it through her introductions to the main game.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

« Reply #127 on: June 07, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
Oh, she's not a great announcer. But then, that's not the vibe they're going for.

ten96lt

« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2012, 10:24:09 PM »
Oh, she's not a great announcer. But then, that's not the vibe they're going for.
I doubt the male audience in the demographic they're trying to get are paying attention to her announcing skills.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 10:24:57 PM by ten96lt »

MTCesquire

« Reply #129 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:37 AM »
I doubt the male audience in the demographic they're trying to get are paying attention to her announcing skills.

Exactly.

(I'm on the far side of their target demographic...yeah, she's hot.)

SamJ93

« Reply #130 on: June 14, 2012, 05:54:06 AM »
Finally watched a couple of eps. online, and I must say I'm impressed...let's face it, the game show elements of old-school Squares were just a backdrop for the comedy and banter between the celebs, and they didn't mess with that formula here.

I recognized more of the names on the panel than I thought, esp. Childish Gambino, since he's also an actor on my favorite sitcom, Community (under his real name, Donald Glover).  Since he has a background in comedy as well as music, I hope he comes back to do more shows...he seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Something I realized as I watched...is the first time a version of Squares has ever originated from the East Coast?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #131 on: June 14, 2012, 06:42:57 AM »
Finally watched a couple of eps. online, and I must say I'm impressed...let's face it, the game show elements of old-school Squares were just a backdrop for the comedy and banter between the celebs, and they didn't mess with that formula here.

I recognized more of the names on the panel than I thought, esp. Childish Gambino, since he's also an actor on my favorite sitcom, Community (under his real name, Donald Glover).  Since he has a background in comedy as well as music, I hope he comes back to do more shows...he seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Something I realized as I watched...is the first time a version of Squares has ever originated from the East Coast?
No, a number of episodes of previous versions were done in Florida and NYC.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »

No, a number of episodes of previous versions were done in Florida and NYC.

But those series all originated from Hollywood. I don't think that's what he was asking.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

SamJ93

« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:03 AM »
But those series all originated from Hollywood. I don't think that's what he was asking.

No, it was. I knew Davidson HS went on location a few times, but wasn't sure where...now I know.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

alfonzos

« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2012, 04:48:23 PM »
Finally caught an episode of this last night. Well, young and hip aren't synonymous with witty and entertaining! Every time a contestant called a square's name, there was an ovation. Every time a square was awarded to a contestant, there was an ovation. When asked a question, the square's first response was often, "I cain't believe you axed me dat (sic)." When it was over a paltry fourteen questions had been asked.

On the plus side, I did like the set and graphics. Three-in-a-row has gone back to flashing its status rather than the peculiar blinking from the previous version. Closing credits showed the winning contestant meeting with some of the celebrities (nice touch!).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 04:48:52 PM by alfonzos »
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos