Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune 21st century...  (Read 9969 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Wheel of Fortune 21st century...
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 02:36:43 AM »
While I like the idea about Wheel (I've seen a few players who had a considerable amount of cardboard in front of them), the concept of picking up stuff from the Wheel has been a long-time part of the show. Also, Travis, you forgot the Wild Card (among the items that can be picked up).

I remember reading that on the original Family Feud, it was decided to have the answers for the main game on flip cards rather than using the Solari board (which Family Fortunes did in England). The reason was the same - to assure the viewer that those were the actual results, and couldn't be changed at the last second to favor one team or the other.
And yet, the Feud of today loves to change and throw out questions at the last second so they don't end after three rounds or have to go to six (one of the stated reasons being related to showing favoritism). And some of the more bizarre answers on the board leave me wondering if they are legit, such as #6 of the "pilot holding his..." question from a few weeks ago (they must have been giggling when they saw the disgust on Granny's face...and she seemed to be looking right at the staff, too).

/portions directly affecting the outcome of the game were edited or retaped
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:00:21 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Clay Zambo

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
(And I like the idea of returning to the colored backdrops as much as the next guy, but they're doing the spy camera deal for a reason.)

Which is?  (Seriously, I have no idea.)
czambo@mac.com

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
I would LOVE to see a multi-touch wheel, sorta like this one:

Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
Also, Travis, you forgot the Wild Card.
No I didn't. Wild Card (I was about to add the Free Spin, but that's no longer a thing) is tendered upon use in the main game.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
the concept of picking up stuff from the Wheel has been a long-time part of the show.
So was the concept of physical letter-turning. Or buying prizes with your earned money.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dale_grass

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
the concept of picking up stuff from the Wheel has been a long-time part of the show.
So was the concept of physical letter-turning. Or buying prizes with your earned money.

As well as Woolery hosting.  

\Apparently he has since left.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2012, 05:45:04 PM »
One question: Once the contestant has acquired the Free Play/featured trip/what have you and the item is displayed above their head/in their score monitor, how does the cardboard leave the wheel without somebody picking it up?

(In response to the original poster's suggestion that it be in a monitor -- then you have a whole bunch of monitors on the wheel.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:48:06 PM by MSTieScott »

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 07:07:54 PM »
One question: Once the contestant has acquired the Free Play/featured trip/what have you and the item is displayed above their head/in their score monitor, how does the cardboard leave the wheel without somebody picking it up?

(In response to the original poster's suggestion that it be in a monitor -- then you have a whole bunch of monitors on the wheel.)
Well, as previously stated, there can be a discard slot. If the wedges seem to cumbersome for that process, make the prize wedges "rinds", like what the Aussies do with Free Spins.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 08:50:35 PM »
And yet, the Feud of today loves to change and throw out questions at the last second so they don't end after three rounds or have to go to six (one of the stated reasons being related to showing favoritism). And some of the more bizarre answers on the board leave me wondering if they are legit, such as #6 of the "pilot holding his..." question from a few weeks ago (they must have been giggling when they saw the disgust on Granny's face...and she seemed to be looking right at the staff, too).
Huh?

(And I like the idea of returning to the colored backdrops as much as the next guy, but they're doing the spy camera deal for a reason.)
Well, it looks neat and it gives your eye something to focus on while the camera shot is on home base.
Travis L. Eberle

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:05 PM »
I think he was asking what the "spy camera deal" is. I too was confused by that.

-Jason
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:35:11 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 03:52:15 AM »
Well, it looks neat and it gives your eye something to focus on while the camera shot is on home base.
To be honest, I have never once paid attention to that backdrop, and I imagine that all but three viewers are looking to see if Joe Schmo is going to throw a coin into the Trevi Fountain during "Get the Hell Out of America Getaways" Week. When they're on location, some of these things make more sense, but maybe my distaste for it comes from the fact that I don't think it's necessary for every week to have a theme. At this point it feels like they just play Mad Libs to come up with new names for weeks, and roll out the appropriate set pieces- why bother?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:27 AM »
At this point it feels like they just play Mad Libs to come up with new names for weeks, and roll out the appropriate set pieces- why bother?
I've often thought the same thing...when they did Pet Lovers Week, I thought they were really scraping.

I'm fine with the traditional Teen/College/Military/Mistresses Weeks, but let's not saturate things with goofy stuff like "Wheel Across America" or "City Living" or whatever they're coming up with, when all you're doing is playing out of L.A. Save it for the road trips. When they're in Vegas, the video wall makes sense. But in the studio, I'm not really caring about a screen saver of some tropical locale.

Honestly, do Teen/College/Military/Celebrity Weeks each during a major Sweeps month (if they don't already), put a few road trips in during sweeps, and keep the L.A. episodes during the other parts of the year, and not theme weeks.

/And especially no "America's Game"
//I actually miss the scenic backdrop they used during the Friday Finals season
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:43:59 AM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »

Because the game itself is so visually uninteresting?  Yeesh.  I appreciate that Sony has the funds and technology to put a Jumbotron behind the players, but they could put an actual elephant sanctuary back there, too, if they wanted.  Wouldn't have any less to do with the game.
czambo@mac.com

mmb5

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
Because the game itself is so visually uninteresting?  Yeesh.  I appreciate that Sony has the funds and technology to put a Jumbotron behind the players, but they could put an actual elephant sanctuary back there, too, if they wanted.  Wouldn't have any less to do with the game.
If you could train an elephant to spin the wheel with its trunk, then you have some ratings.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
"Get the Hell Out of America Getaways" Week
Something like this is totally what would get me watching WoF regularly again.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe