Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Name That Tune"  (Read 4940 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
"Name That Tune"
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 12:51:14 AM »
One complaint I read about the most recent version with Jim Lange (not counting Name that Video) is that for unknown reasons, it was on 5 days a week, and that it should have been weekly, as there's only so many pre-existing songs the show can license.
Huh?
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
"Name That Tune"
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:11 AM »
One complaint I read about the most recent version with Jim Lange (not counting Name that Video) is that for unknown reasons, it was on 5 days a week, and that it should have been weekly, as there's only so many pre-existing songs the show can license.
Got news for you, bud: the daytime show was on five days a week, too, and by definition they had fewer pre-existing songs to license.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 01:00:31 AM »
Got news for you, bud: the daytime show was on five days a week, too, and by definition they had fewer pre-existing songs to license.
Not to mention Sandy Frank's other show Face the Music didn't have any licensing problems either, not to mention both that and NTT aired in reruns for years.

There may be other issues with Lange's NTT...licensing wasn't one of them IMO.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Otm Shank

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 01:58:41 AM »
I think the problem not the licensing, but that band needed to play roughly 100 songs a week, and thus the pool of tunes was limited, causing repeats. It is the only reason that I know the first five seconds to "Zorba the Greek." (That one seemed to get played a LOT.)

The Ol' Guy

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:44:24 AM »
Just back from work and have scanned your thoughts. It appears many of you think NTT would be potentially a niche concept, as most of today's music fans are probably wrapped up in just one or just a few thin slices of the whole musical pie. The "different format" nights, I agree, would cause ratings fluctuation based on your likes and dislikes of certain styles. Different styles of songs on different episodes works on American Idol because the performers are the focus, not the songs, and we get to determine their versatility and interpretation skills. But one of you made a comment that sounds like it may have an answer. If you played with multi-generational teams (families?), there's the possibility of widening the audience base and music variety, so that an episode that includes I Fall To Pieces, Zip A Dee Doo Dah, Like A Virgin and The Sound of Winter gives everyone at home something to make them feel smart. I can't see how Fremantle would object to having two strong "family" games in their product list.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:49:10 AM by The Ol' Guy »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
"Name That Tune"
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
I think the problem not the licensing, but that band needed to play roughly 100 songs a week, and thus the pool of tunes was limited, causing repeats. It is the only reason that I know the first five seconds to "Zorba the Greek." (That one seemed to get played a LOT.)

"Me and My Arrow" is the one I knew for no good reason. :)
@lambertman

chrisholland03

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 09:50:38 AM »

I think 'Every Breath You Take' was the only song they used from the '80s.  It sure felt that way.  (Not that it is a bad song at all)

Fedya

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »
I can't see how Fremantle would object to having two strong "family" games in their product list.

Steve Harvey could host and they could play songs like "Baby Got Back" and "Let's Talk About Sex" for the grannies to name.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at http://justacineast.blogspot.com/

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jimmy Owen

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »
The only way I can see this working is as a live show with former AI/X-Factor singers crooning the mystery tunes and a Ryan Seacrest-type as host.  The home audience would be the contestants through either phone or skype or facebook.

Guess I should have read the Vulture column in its entirety before suggesting the exact same thing he did. :)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 11:09:33 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

I think 'Every Breath You Take' was the only song they used from the '80s.  It sure felt that way.  (Not that it is a bad song at all)
Late-70s song, but I remember the contestants being stumped by "Y.M.C.A." I remember being pretty shocked by that one.

One of the pilot episodes used a pretty crummy rendition of "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" during Bid-A-Note.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jamey Greek

"Name That Tune"
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 07:45:08 PM »

They also played "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" and "Ghostbusters" As well as "Jessie's Girl."