Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game show memories from your childhood  (Read 14716 times)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
Game show memories from your childhood
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
Being born on August 23, 1988, my earliest memories typically go in the 1990s.

The Classic Concentration theme is probably the earliest, with a version stuck in my head for about a decade with no recollection of its source. I also played the NES game and the one of Super Jeopardy!, being utterly confused by both.

Getting up at 4:00 AM with my mother to watch Doug Davidson's Price Is Right on WDZL. I also taped it, but while those appear to have been lost there's at least one WDZL-aired episode in the trading circuit -- as I discovered some years ago.

Watching Shopping Spree, Supermarket Sweep, and Shop 'Til You Drop around 1997-98. A truck once drove through nearby and (thanks to the extremely uneven "road" outside) snapping the cable line toward the end of a STYD bonus round.

After that...not much until June 2004.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
And I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought the PYL logo looked like the Bekins moving company logo! I was probaly about 3 or 4, but I remember making the connection after seeing a moving truck outside my old apartment.

I made the connection because there was an abandoned Bekins garage a block from my grandmother's. Some guy now stores his boat and RV in it.

(As for FOG HORN — I've checked several dictionaries this time, including Merriam-Webster, and all insist that "foghorn" is only one word.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:31:46 PM by Twentington »
Bobby Peacock

Winkfan

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
I may have mentioned this already, but my earliest memory was when Art James hosted Concentration.

My favorite memories are from the game show rise of the 1970s; among them were the Match Game New Year's shindigs at the end of each year.

Cordially,
Tammy
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 05:38:08 PM »
(As for FOG HORN — I've checked several dictionaries this time, including Merriam-Webster, and all insist that "foghorn" is only one word.)
I think you may not understand the point of the drinking game.  Replace <drink> with THIS and see if that makes things any clearer.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
I think you may not understand the point of the drinking game.  Replace <drink> with THIS and see if that makes things any clearer.
Why discourage the lad?  I'm enjoying my buzz.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

joker316

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
for me...when I was around 4 years old seeing the Concentration board trilons turn & the prize slides; the Password Lightning round words pop out of the table; and the original Jeopardy! board. The sets from the 60's to the late 70's always fascinated me.
Survival of the fittest...And besides...it's FUN!!!!  ...Daffy Duck

spb1962

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
When I was around 5-6 years old, I used to dress like Bud Collyer on To Tell The Truth with a suit and bowtie. This would have been during the last year or two of the CBS run.

alfonzos

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 06:00:54 PM »
for me...when I was around 4 years old seeing the Concentration board trilons turn & the prize slides; the Password Lightning round words pop out of the table; and the original Jeopardy! board. The sets from the 60's to the late 70's always fascinated me.
Ditto.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Casey

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
My earliest memory is from the late 70s, and I distinctly remember the slot machine from TJW.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »
CBS game shows in the morning, Jeopardy and Wheel on separate stations, my aforementioned "who are they gonna pair with Jeopardy this year" thing.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
A few more that hit me from the toddler stages.

Visiting my great-grandmother in Norfolk (I still lived in Dallas at the time), and she would watch all the shows. I distinctly remember the neon joker sign from the TJW intro, and being mesmerized by the Tune Topics board on Name That Tune. Both aired in the afternoons at the station where I now work.

Back in Dallas, I believe Tic Tac Dough aired on Channel 39...I remember the shiny gold logo from the mid-80s.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 08:56:27 PM »
(Gets ready for the barrage of "THE HELL OFF MY LAWN" that is imminent.)

As a four-year-old, mimicking Doug Davidson as I watched the syndie PiR.

J.R.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
They're very faded, but I can remember watching NYSI 89 (Can't miss that really dark set) and Combs Feud with my Grandma.
-Joe Raygor

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2012, 09:39:05 PM »
Not my earliest memory (I must've been well into elementary school or farther at the time), but I remember seeing an episode of Combs "Feud" that had the Scott family versus the Robinson family. I enjoyed that.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:39:22 PM by MSTieScott »

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:46 PM »
When I was two, I would ask my grandmother to put on "The Numbers Game," turns out this show was The Price is Right.  I would run from one end of the house to the other when Johnny would say "come on down."

As for the Vanna hotel promo, the common reason you sometimes see back-to-back same commercials or even the same commercial twice in a single set of commercials is due to unsold local time.  If there are 120 seconds scheduled for the break and only 115 seconds were sold, a 15 second rerun promo will often fill the air.