Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jimmy Fallon tonight playing classic Pyramid  (Read 6576 times)

BrandonFG

Jimmy Fallon tonight playing classic Pyramid
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »
It seems that Jimmy or someone on his writing staff is a big game show fan.  As I don't watch many of these segments, is it viable that Fallon could host an actual show, not that he would ever take the job downgrade.
I think he could still do a primetime weekly show...Jimmy Kimmel did Set for Life...

Now excuse me while I get that insipid show out of my head.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
The one major problem, at least to me, was that the last part was pretty badly botched -- Fallon should've gotten his third category, due to being on the trailing team (i.e., "catch-up mode"). To a lesser degree, the lack of score displays made it hard to keep track of things.

Other than that, it was a pretty good segment...and the yoga category reminded me greatly of what Michael Davies had in mind for the 2010 pilots.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 04:21:43 PM »
The one major problem, at least to me, was that the last part was pretty badly botched -- Fallon should've gotten his third category, due to being on the trailing team (i.e., "catch-up mode"). To a lesser degree, the lack of score displays made it hard to keep track of things.
It's a talk show. A segment on a frigging talk show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jay Temple

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »
ETA: Roots ended the segment with the classic theme. Epic.

Ahhhhh, once again, I'm a representative of the older generation 'cause, to me, the "classic" theme is "TUNING UP" from the $10,000/$20,000 70's version, not the Cobert CBS $25,000 version rehash.  Not that it is a bad version by any means but just not the "classic" in my ears.
Agreed. The desk-size monitors made up for it, though.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

pacdude

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »

Other than that, it was a pretty good segment...and the yoga category reminded me greatly of what Michael Davies had in mind for the 2010 pilots.

Game shows aren't just entertainment to you, are they? There comes a point where you really need to step back and stop taking things so seriously.

BrandonFG

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Damn was that fun to watch! Like with Password, it's amazing how much detail the crew puts into making that resemble the original (more so than the most recent revivals). There was a little awkwardness after the next-to-last round played, but overall, it was really well-done.

Interesting, if not a little odd, though, that the game show parodies ("Wheel of Carpet Samples", "Models and Buckets", another one that uses the Press Your Luck board SFX) give away prizes, yet this and Password don't. No biggie, just an observation

/Would've lost it had they flashed "WINNERS"
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »
Is it just me or does Fallon's sidekick/announcer look a helluva lot like Steve Allen?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 01:39:58 AM »
Is it just me or does Fallon's sidekick/announcer look a helluva lot like Steve Allen?
I do see the resemblance there, yes.

Question to Those Who Know: how much of a game show budget went toward the set? If Fallon and Co. can burn off an entire mid-show second playing a silly and truncated classic game show, as opposed to a labored sketch or some other nonsense, I say get in.
Travis L. Eberle

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Here's a link on Hulu.

Thanks for posting the link.  I had the chance to watch this today (it's just after the commercial break around 21 minutes in, for anyone interested) -- it was great!  Sure, they messed up a couple of minor things, but it was still a lot of fun to watch.  Pyramid is one of my favorite games, and I hope they bring it back at some point.