Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game play edits  (Read 18137 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Game play edits
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2011, 11:30:45 PM »
Lemme see...do the standard intro with the celebs, have Dick mention that he'll chat with them in a moment, then cut to Nipsey and the champ walking out as he mentions that they're taking care of unfinished business.
Hmm. Still a little kludgey, but less so. I suppose I can see that. Don't like having to call the people out from the wings into the Winner's Circle, though.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

Game play edits
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 11:53:47 PM »
Do a regular intro, but just introduce Dick Clark sans celebs.
Then that's not a regular intro. You're really gonna do the "Your guests this week" intro without the guests actually coming out?

I mean, I suppose you could, and they may have, but that just sounds kludgey as hell to me.

Sorry...I meant something like "This is The $20,000 Pyramid...and here's your host-"
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

Game play edits
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2011, 12:00:56 AM »
Sorry...I meant something like "This is The $20,000 Pyramid...and here's your host-"
Right. That's even worse.

Jeremy Nelson

Game play edits
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2011, 12:40:17 AM »
Right. That's even worse.
Pray tell, how is it worse than introducing celebrities that will force you to make some ugly edits in post?

There's no easy way to do this. I figure the way I've blocked it is so that there doesn't have to be a jump cut- the only thing missing is two new celebrities making an entrance on the Monday show. Otherwise, the tape has to get hacked somewhere in the process.

BTW, I personally thought that a winning contestant with a WC that carried into the next week just got to choose before hand which of the new stars he/she would play the endgame with on Monday- but my only memory of 70s Pyramid was Game show Saturday Night many years ago, so I may just be pulling that one out of my posterior.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:47:39 AM by Jeremy Nelson »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

Game play edits
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
Pray tell, how is it worse than introducing celebrities that will force you to make some ugly edits in post?
Not giving your celebrity guests a proper introduction at the top of the show? Not good at all.

There's no easy way to do this.
Exactly my point.

Jeremy Nelson

Game play edits
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
Not giving your celebrity guests a proper introduction at the top of the show? Not good at all.
I don't think it's gonna kill them if this were to happen- after all, Dick is really good at managing the time remaining in the episode so things like this won't happen. I mean, we as a group could only recall one valid time that this instance came up, so it must be something that doesn't even happen yearly.

Besides, who is this bad for? As long as Monday's guests are cool with it, I don't see a problem- after all, what viewer is going to argue with a Winner's Circle being played at the top of the show?

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Game play edits
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »
Getting back to the original topic, I seem to remember another "phantom letter" on Wheel similar to the one I mentioned in the first post — I could swear there was a more recent episode where an S appeared on the board despite not being called. I wanna say it was sometime in season 24.
Bobby Peacock

Unrealtor

Game play edits
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2011, 12:14:48 AM »
Logistically, you could just tape the game and edit it so it looked like it all done at the same time.
Curious to know how you plan to block that show's open without a WHOLE BUNCH of jump-cuts.

To second Chris' thought, if you're going to be showing VTR, why even try to make it seamless? "When we ran out of time on Friday, Jane Doe and Anita Gillette were about to play the Winner's Circle for $10,000. Since that was Anita's last day with us, we gave them their chance immediately after the end of the show. Here's what happened."
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Otm Shank

Game play edits
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »
Yes, back on topic. Thank you.

I will add "The Price Is Right" episode of Gameshow Marathon. While playing Hole in One (or Two), they edited out the whole "or Two" bit and the second (missed) putt. When it aired, all of the loyal friends and true figured that there were different rules for this special.

I'd like to count Celebrity Poker Showdown here, which production-wise felt more game-show-like than other poker programs. Hands that were largely inconsequential were edited, but the dealer position would noticeably be affected.

And just to comment on a point that I was going to make before the thread tailspun, regarding the editing/canning bad endgames on Million Dollar Password. I understand the outrage as a game show purist. But as an entry in network primetime, from which non-reality-style game shows have been largely absent for nearly a decade, the program had a six-episode order to fill. If you have an end game that bombs, that is 8% of your entire season, on which you are trying sell a second season. (The 8% includes the preceding front game as well.) Trashing a half episode for poor gameplay was a necessity in this case.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Game play edits
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:38 AM »
(The 8% includes the preceding front game as well.) Trashing a half episode for poor gameplay was a necessity in this case.
Why?  Because (the Minnesota Vikings nonwithstanding) America is so watered down these days that people don't want to watch a loser?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Game play edits
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
Why?  Because (the Minnesota Vikings nonwithstanding) America is so watered down these days that people don't want to watch a loser?
Lolwhat?
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

Game play edits
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:30 AM »
Back in the day, tape editing was more of a burden than it is today.  On Downs Concentration, weren't there times that the game was completed "off the air" and the results announced the next day?  <mildly humorous remark coming> Of course, I'm the type that wants to see the coin toss/lots drawn/straws drawn to see who goes first.<end mildly humorous remark>
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Robert Hutchinson

Game play edits
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 02:40:46 AM »
The editors at Wheel are fond of editing out "full passes" of all three contestants losing their turn without any change in score or other status. This is easiest to spot in the speed-up round, when they suddenly cut to a shot of Pat.

I've seen them be sloppy with it on several other occasions, although usually not as noticeably. Someone winning a round and you wonder what happened to that gift card they picked up earlier...
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Craig Karlberg

Game play edits
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 05:03:02 AM »
It's not limited to gift cards, even prize wedges mysteriously disappears once in awhile for no particular reason.  And I swear I thought I saw where the Million $ wedge was there in one round but was suspiciously absent thereafter.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Game play edits
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 04:04:18 PM »
It's not limited to gift cards, even prize wedges mysteriously disappears once in awhile for no particular reason.  And I swear I thought I saw where the Million $ wedge was there in one round but was suspiciously absent thereafter.

Close. They somehow forgot to put the MDW on the Wheel for the first New Orleans episode last season. And the second episode had a spin from the first episode dubbed in (rather poorly), with the MDW absent from said spin even though it was definitely there for the rest of the game.

The prizes aren't truly "disappearing" most of the time. They're just dubbing in spins from other episodes, and not doing a good job at it. I even saw one dubbed-in spin where a completely different prize wedge was plainly visible.

I've seen Wild Cards suddenly disappear from contestants' posessions due to an all-Bankrupt cycle getting edited out (including an episode back in September), but never prize wedges, gift tags, MDW, etc. disappear in that fashion.

On the other hand, I've also seen recent episodes where they didn't edit out, say, three consecutive wrong letters in a Speed-Up.
Bobby Peacock