Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bob Barker on a postage stamp  (Read 7246 times)

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Bob Barker on a postage stamp
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
I shall go out of my way to be a Person Eating a Tasty Animal tomorrow in their honor.
I think I'll buy a book of stamps with the Epic Meal Time Guys just so I can send mail to PeTA
This signature is currently under construction.

Otm Shank

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
Images of living persons cannot be on USPS-issued postage stamps.

Debate the use of "living" as it applies to Barker, if you must. Or "person," for that matter.

Flerbert419

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 12:55:44 AM »
This is no longer the case, but it has yet to happen.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 12:58:11 AM »
For the second time in this thread I shall link to this article, which says otherwise.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 01:02:37 AM »
For the second time in this thread I shall link to this article, which says otherwise.
I, for one, am saddened that 69 freakin' percent of the people answering the survey think Lady freakin' Gaga should be the one to be honored over people such as Neil Armstrong or Steve Jobs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:03:06 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 01:05:46 AM »
Okay, I want a straight answer, right now.

Why are you guys criticizing me for bashing Barker? You think all the bad stuff said about him is lies? You really don't think he's trying to make sure Holly Hallstrom never existed, or remove the existence of fur coats as prizes, or that he treated Rod Roddy like shite, and that Rod died an angry man because of him?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:10:13 AM by gameshowlover87 »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »
Why are you guys criticizing me for bashing Barker?
Because you are missing the point. Bob Barker is being honored for his animal rights work. That is it, that is all. You are being criticized because you cannot get that through your head. That is it, that is all.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:24:15 AM by TLEberle »
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 01:12:31 AM »

Why are you guys criticizing me for bashing Barker? You think all the bad stuff said about him is lies? You really don't think he's trying to make sure Holly Hallstrom never existed, or remove the existence of fur coats as prizes, or that he treated Rod Roddy like shite, and that Rod died an angry man because of him?

Whatever I think about him, I'm certainly not going to use a term better suited for the 9/11 attacks or Hurricane Katrina, among other things, to criticize him over what amounts to a trivial bit of information.

I mean, HE'S BEING PUT ON A STAMP. Since when is putting someone on a stamp a horrific incident?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 01:14:16 AM »
Okay, I wanna a straight answer, right now.

I don't think it's your bashing of Barker, as much as your fur coat veto as an example of why he shouldn't be honored.

The fact that that was the best example you could come up with, not the sexual harassment lawsuits, or the fact that he simply comes across as an evil old man, prolly doesn't help. Forbidding fur coat episodes from airing is hardly horrific, esp. when Barker is known for being an animal rights activist.

Just my $0.02
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

clemon79

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
or Steve Jobs.
Know how I know you haven't read the Walter Issacson biography?

Seriously, my mindset going into it has been a genuine effort to understand the "cult of Apple" and to figure out why the Apple fanb0i contingent were holding candlelight vigils and such when he kicked it, considering that in the last decade or so of his life, during the whole iPod era, he was really a pretty awful person. Maybe I missed something early in his career. I'm more than willing to be convinced.

Nope. According to my Fire I'm 59% in, he's already returned to Apple and they've shipped a few iPod models and opened the iTunes store, and I have yet to come across one single shred of evidence to indicate that he's anything but an utter asshole. Brilliant businessman, no question. But an utter asshole.

There's a fellow named Trump in New York who fits that exact same description. Let's give him a stamp when he croaks, too, whaddaya say?

(There's still 41% to go, I freely allow that. But I'm also pretty familiar with the history from this point forward. That said, my mind is still open. But, man. I absolutely recommend the book, though. Fascinating read.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:23:07 AM by clemon79 »

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
You are in a position to demand precisely nothing.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
There's a fellow named Trump in New York who fits that exact same description. Let's give him a stamp when he croaks, too, whaddaya say?
You're talking to someone who has bought PC products his entire life and has an MP3 player that isn't an Ipod.

I don't see where I stated that Trump shouldn't be honored.  Nor do I see where I said that Jobs wasn't an asshole.  On the flip side, some of his companies' inventions (Such as the Ipod) have changed American culture. But for people to vote some pop tart (at best) as being most worthy?  C'mon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:25:35 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 01:42:14 AM »
You're talking to someone who has bought PC products his entire life and has an MP3 player that isn't an Ipod.
And you're talking to someone who works for the competition and yet still carries an iTouch because it's far and away the best of breed.

I don't see where I stated that Trump shouldn't be honored.  Nor do I see where I said that Jobs wasn't an asshole.
I will cheerfully and apologetically back down here...I thought you picked Jobs' name out of the blue and did not realize he was part of the sidebar poll.

On the flip side, some of his companies' inventions (Such as the Ipod) have changed American culture.
While I agree with that statement, I hesitate to call it an "invention," seeing as the iPod was not even remotely close to being the first MP3 player on the market. But otherwise, sure, no question. And I do applaud you for crediting it to the company as opposed to him personally.

But for people to vote some pop tart (at best) as being most worthy?  C'mon.
I learned several years ago not to get too wound up in online anonymous unchecked poll results. I invite you to join me in the peace and quiet. First Dr Pepper is on me.

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »
I don't see where I stated that Trump shouldn't be honored.
Don't think Chris was implying that; he was just making a comparison about how both are great businessmen, but have serious egos (or at least Trump as far as I know). I haven't read Isaacson's book, but from what I have read or heard, Jobs loved picking volatile arguments in his first stint at Apple. Doesn't necessarily make him an asshole, but it couldn't have made him easy to work with.

And you and I see eye to eye on Gaga. Take away the goofy costumes and she's another forgettable cookie-cutter pop singer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 01:52:02 AM »
Take away the goofy costumes and she's another forgettable cookie-cutter pop singer.
I respectfully invite you to view this, this or this to see what talent she does indeed have in more stripped down environments. :)

/These discussions and debates are much more interesting than anything gameshowlover has presented
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:52:49 AM by chad1m »