Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Card Sharks question  (Read 9400 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Card Sharks question
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
Watching your host fumble with math or weird numbers is bad TV.

Which is probably why it's not an issue on Jeopardy! when someone makes an oddball wager, since Trebek has shown to be extremely proficient at doing math in his head. ("You have $13,800 right now and you're the only one with money. You know, if you made this a True Daily Double, you could have $27,600." All without missing a beat.)
Yes, the example you gave involves a nice, even number.  Try doing $12,339 in your head quickly without fumbling, there, Texas Instruments.

(And whose to say there isn't some kind of off-stage monitor displaying amounts?)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Card Sharks question
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:48 PM »
Try doing $12,339 in your head quickly without fumbling, there, Texas Instruments.
You mean $24,678?

/Done in my head using a combination of times tables, mental math and recognizing things like "40 minus one equals 80 minus two."
//Not hard.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks question
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Hardly on the spot, either, and I'll wager you weren't devoting a lot of clock cycles to other activities (like, say, hosting a game show) while you did it, either. Also, adding and multiplying are easier than division and subtraction.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Card Sharks question
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Hardly on the spot, either, and I'll wager you weren't devoting a lot of clock cycles to other activities (like, say, hosting a game show) while you did it, either. Also, adding and multiplying are easier than division and subtraction.
All I have is my word. I was alphabetizing and collating payments while doing the math.

I remember watching the Grand Slam Grand Final with you, and being able to keep pace with the finalists on the mental math. But that's something I've been practicing for about 25 years, so I should be able to calculate a fifteen percent tip without my fellow diners looking at me as if I've just grown horns and a tail. And yet, that's most often the reaction.

/I am not implying that reciting the alphabet and looking for checks that don't have signatures on them is more difficult than hosting a nationally broadcast game show.
//Yes, there are scoreboards that are updated as the game rolls along.
///You thought Pat Sajak was able to tell players how much money was left to shop with just because of his mad skills? Haw.
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

Card Sharks question
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 07:08:58 PM »
///You thought Pat Sajak was able to tell players how much money was left to shop with just because of his mad skills? Haw.
Woolery, on the other hand, was a mathlete BOSS.

Fedya

Card Sharks question
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
Wait until the Jeopardy! contestants start making their Final Jeopardy wagers in complex numbers.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Matt Ottinger

Card Sharks question
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »
I know this was just meant as a throwaway joke, but it struck me funny because I've heard stories (from one of our own members, who might share...) of Mr. Woolery's mad math skillz.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
Card Sharks question
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 11:17:18 PM »
Yes, the example you gave involves a nice, even number.  Try doing $12,339 in your head quickly without fumbling, there, Texas Instruments.

I'm sure Trebek can do even that without missing a beat.

I, on the other hand, make Dick Clark adding up Winner's Circle scores look like a supercomputer.
Bobby Peacock

Jeremy Nelson

Card Sharks question
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 11:53:02 PM »
I know this was just meant as a throwaway joke, but it struck me funny because I've heard stories (from one of our own members, who might share...) of Mr. Woolery's mad math skillz.
Umm...excuse me if my sarcasm meter is off, but was he really that good, or just the opposite?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

J.R.

Card Sharks question
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 12:39:56 AM »
I, on the other hand, make Dick Clark adding up Winner's Circle scores look like a supercomputer.
I cannot be the only one tired of your "I suck at everything :-(" mentality you have towards yourself.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 12:55:08 AM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

Card Sharks question
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 01:00:19 AM »
Umm...excuse me if my sarcasm meter is off, but was he really that good, or just the opposite?
No, I'm sorry.  The opposite, as I understand it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

Card Sharks question
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 07:41:09 AM »
Part of the reason Alex made his way to US television was because of his math skills. Way back when "The Wizard of Odds" started, Alex got the job over an American host because he could do the math on the fly.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

NickS

Card Sharks question
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 09:03:21 AM »
Try doing $12,339 in your head quickly without fumbling, there, Texas Instruments.

(And whose to say there isn't some kind of off-stage monitor displaying amounts?)

If you're going to snark at someone's math skills, I'd just make sure your grammar is in order.  That, or keep it short and simple.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:03:30 AM by NickS »

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Card Sharks question
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 11:44:27 AM »
No, I'm sorry.  The opposite, as I understand it.

So we probably shouldn't expect him to save us that trillion quid?
@lambertman

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Card Sharks question
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
Part of the reason Alex made his way to US television was because of his math skills. Way back when "The Wizard of Odds" started, Alex got the job over an American host because he could do the math on the fly.
Source, please? (Genuinely curious.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe