Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Examples of unusual situations involving GS contestants  (Read 7765 times)

Neumms

Examples of unusual situations involving GS contestants
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »
There was an infamous episode on Hollywood Squares with Jan Murray. They ran into sundown on at the start of Yom Kippur, and Jan couldn't work any longer. Peter explained where Jan went and they just turned off his square, the upper right. That was fine for two games, but the third ended up a four-squares-to-four tie! They paid each player $50 a square as on the nighttime game and everyone had a good chuckle over it.

Much later in the run, it happened again, again with Jan Murray! That time, fortunately Waylon and Madame were on the second tier, so they simply had Madame move upstairs to Jan's square. Vincent Price made a point of putting black tape over Madame's name on the sign, but they didn't have a chance to switch out Jan Murray's name, so Madame got a lot of material out of that!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 02:02:15 PM by Neumms »

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »
I'm sure someone here can tell us when Price started doing summer reruns.
Hello. :-)

July 5, 1976 -- the first summer of the hour format.

gameboy2000

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
There was a contestant on Global GUTS who was injured after the second event and had to be replaced by another player.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

Eric Paddon

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
Charles Nelson Reilly was late to the set because he forgot to change his clock for daylight saving time.
It was Gary Burghoff who was late.
Tom Hanks is referring to this incident:

It was indeed Gary Burghoff who was late that day.   I even remember seeing this episode when it first aired.

There was one occasion when CNR was late because he was getting his toupee sewn on, and Mark Goodson filled in for the first round.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 05:34:17 PM »
There was one occasion when CNR was late because he was getting his toupee sewn on, and Mark Goodson filled in for the first round.
Ah, Halloween 1974.  I remember it like it was yesterday.

/Or maybe GSN showed it yesterday.
//Or not.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 05:55:05 PM »
Except that Press Your Luck didn't do summer reruns (I think...I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), so it isn't

They didn't, but during the summer of '86 for some reason they went to reruns in August, then the last month of new episodes in Sept.  The repeated episodes were the College Week of '85 then a block of episodes from '84.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tyshaun1

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 08:43:51 PM »
They didn't, but during the summer of '86 for some reason they went to reruns in August, then the last month of new episodes in Sept.  The repeated episodes were the College Week of '85 then a block of episodes from '84.
Carruthers produced the Daytime Emmys at the time, so most likely the show was taping close to air at that point. Rather than producing a bunch with the show likely canceled at that point, CBS decided to air reruns. Or something like that.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:44:27 PM by tyshaun1 »

JepMasta

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 09:30:30 PM »
Anyone else remember the incident where I believe William Shatner walked off "Wheel of Fortune", and they brought in Richard Simmons to replace him?

Twentington

• I just got to win / Spin the Wheel again
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »
Anyone else remember the incident where I believe William Shatner walked off "Wheel of Fortune", and they brought in Richard Simmons to replace him?

I was told that Julie Pinson took his place.
Bobby Peacock

dale_grass

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »
It was indeed Gary Burghoff who was late that day.   I even remember seeing this episode when it first aired.
But then why'd Gene refer to the missing party as "somebody who usually sits in that seat"?

The ever-reliable Wikipedia confirms it was Charles who was late.  If it was Burghoff, you need to have a sit-down chat with Mr. Benfield and have this unfortunate mistake remedied.

BrandonFG

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »
But then why'd Gene refer to the missing party as "somebody who usually sits in that seat"?

The ever-reliable Wikipedia confirms it was Charles who was late.  If it was Burghoff, you need to have a sit-down chat with Mr. Benfield and have this unfortunate mistake remedied.
Gary sat in that chair while CNR was out (I believe he was doing a Broadway show), FWIW.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »

Gary sat in that chair while CNR was out (I believe he was doing a Broadway show), FWIW.

Indeed... Gary filled in for CNR for about 5 months at the start of 1975.  The episode in question aired in March, right in the middle of Gary's tenure.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:34:39 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Jay Temple

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 01:07:43 AM »
Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll throw this in. Keif Ferrendini was scheduled to return as the champion on the November 23, 1987, episode of The $100,000 Pyramid. However, she knew Terry Lester, so she had to wait till the following week. This resulted in an embarrassing incident for Dick, who told the viewers what happened but failed to introduce the contestant sitting next to Mr. Lester until after the other team had played!
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 08:36:16 AM »
Carruthers produced the Daytime Emmys at the time, so most likely the show was taping close to air at that point. Rather than producing a bunch with the show likely canceled at that point, CBS decided to air reruns. Or something like that

To me, it would have made more sense if they had aired repeats from earlier in '86, rather than jumping back as far as they did.  There were noticeable changes in the set (colors on the board especially) and Peter looking a bit younger.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 11:08:19 AM »
Carruthers produced the Daytime Emmys at the time, so most likely the show was taping close to air at that point. Rather than producing a bunch with the show likely canceled at that point, CBS decided to air reruns. Or something like that

To me, it would have made more sense if they had aired repeats from earlier in '86, rather than jumping back as far as they did.  There were noticeable changes in the set (colors on the board especially) and Peter looking a bit younger.

The neon colors during 1986 seemed a bit more faded than they were when they first showed up last year. I'd still love to see the final year of PYL on GSN one day in its entirety. I consider it the best part of the shows' run, even if the board in round 2 started getting cheaper, even if Pick-A-Corner started to break more and more.

I'd also be able to find out if there were any other episodes that were taped in August 1986, but never shown.