Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy judging  (Read 1792 times)

cmjb13

Jeopardy judging
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
Caught a clue on Jeopardy yesterday where the answer was "What is a backstabber?".

Would they have accepted "Stabbing one in the back" or "One who stabs another in the back"
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jeopardy judging
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
Caught a clue on Jeopardy yesterday where the answer was "What is a backstabber?".
I think it would help to know the context of the clue, or the category.  If the category was something like "11 letter words", then I would think the answer would be obvious.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy judging
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
In the DJ category NOT OF GOOD CHARACTER for $800: "One who speaks ill of you when you're not around, or who implants a dagger in your dorsal region"

Nothing specifically says that they're looking for a one-word response, so my guess is that a phrase that includes 'stabs you in the back' would be OK, though why you would come up with an awkward phrase instead of the one-word term is beyond me.  Still, we're not the judges and this is definitely a judgment call, so you're not going to get a definitive answer here.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jay Temple

Jeopardy judging
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:35:25 AM »
In the DJ category NOT OF GOOD CHARACTER for $800: "One who speaks ill of you when you're not around, or who implants a dagger in your dorsal region"

Nothing specifically says that they're looking for a one-word response, so my guess is that a phrase that includes 'stabs you in the back' would be OK, though why you would come up with an awkward phrase instead of the one-word term is beyond me.  Still, we're not the judges and this is definitely a judgment call, so you're not going to get a definitive answer here.
I would unhesitatingly rule against, because the clue clearly states, "one who ...," thus indicating a person rather than a verb. However, J! has been guilty of writing clues that don't fit the expected response very well for some time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:35:43 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy judging
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
I would unhesitatingly rule against, because the clue clearly states, "one who ...," thus indicating a person rather than a verb.
Which "One who stabs another in the back" absolutely is.

Although, like Matt said, why anyone bright and socially clueful enough to pass the Jeopardy! entrance exams would say that instead of "backstabber" is an utter mystery.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy judging
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »
Although, like Matt said, why anyone bright and socially clueful enough to pass the Jeopardy! entrance exams would say that instead of "backstabber" is an utter mystery.
As it turns out, not just the entrance exam.  This was ToC material.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Kevin Prather

Jeopardy judging
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
My verdict:

"What is a backstabber?" Yes.
"What is that guy who stabbed you in the back?" Sure.
"What is stabbing you in the back?" No.