Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Intuition" with Alex Trebek  (Read 3577 times)

Adam Nedeff

"Intuition" with Alex Trebek
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:43:17 PM »
Stumbled upon this while going through Google News Archives. TV listings for St. Petersburg, FL, from January 5, 1979.

"INTUITION": A game show aimed at finding out if women's intuition is real. The program pits two female contestants against three male celebrities: Jamie Farr of "M*A*S*H," Lyle Waggoner from "Wonder Woman," and Charlie Brill of television and game show fame. Contestants are asked to try to duplicate the male response to various topics including women, life, sex, love, and society. Alex Trebek is host.

Sounds an awful lot like a rough draft of "Just Men!," actually. It's not in the EOTVGS and it's not in the Television Game Show Hosts book. Anybody know anything about this?

trainman

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:26:58 AM »
NBC, if that helps anyone.

Although I can't vouch for the accuracy of anything in those TV highlight listings, given that they misspell Charles Schulz's name ("Schultz," of course) and put "Masterpiece Theater" on the wrong channel (10 instead of 3).
trainman is a man of trains

geno57

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:14 AM »
... I can't vouch for the accuracy of anything in those TV highlight listings, given that they misspell Charles Schulz's name ("Schultz," of course) and put "Masterpiece Theater" on the wrong channel (10 instead of 3).

Check that name again, Jim!  No T.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:41:50 AM »
It was a pilot that got aired for one time only.  It was on the NBC o&o's in NY and LA.  In Saginaw, Channel 5 aired it.  It was okay, nothing I'd watch more than once.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

narzo

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 11:31:45 AM »
It was a pilot that got aired for one time only.  It was on the NBC o&o's in NY and LA.  In Saginaw, Channel 5 aired it.  It was okay, nothing I'd watch more than once.

I remember catching it on our independent station in Minneapolis one evening.  Bonus game involved guessing some hidden words or something, the was one column of 3, one of 2 and one of 1 .  (as I typed that I was realizing how incredibly pointless that entire sentence was to the conversation.  It would have been as helpful to say "there was a bonus game played for a prize or something".  Some days it's best to just keep quiet.)

It is mentioned on the last page of Maxene Fabes book under the "pilots" section for 1979 but no description given other than Alex Trebek hosts and "Owned by Allen Sloan Productions"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:33:55 AM by narzo »

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
KRON in San Francisco (then the NBC affiliate, but owned by the group that owned the San Francisco Chronicle at the time) aired it as well.

Robair

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:53 PM »
It was bankrolled by Colgate-Palmolive, who at the time was producing "The Doctors" for NBC. Charlie O'Donnell announced, and the music was by Score Productions ("King of the Hill"/"Quiz Kids" cues).
--Robair

trainman

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:56:52 PM »
... I can't vouch for the accuracy of anything in those TV highlight listings, given that they misspell Charles Schulz's name ("Schultz," of course) and put "Masterpiece Theater" on the wrong channel (10 instead of 3).

Check that name again, Jim!  No T.

You are talking to someone who is wearing this shirt right now.

The TV highlights in the St. Petersburg Times on January 5, 1979, spelled the name "Charles Schultz" (twice) in their capsule description of the special "Happy Birthday, Charlie Brown." I said "of course," since that's by far the most common misspelling of "Charles Schulz."

And I see I should have said "NBC affiliate." If one scrolls through the paper to the regional sections which have their own abbreviated TV listings, one can see that Channel 2 in Orlando and Channel 12 in Jacksonville were both airing an episode of "Joe & Valerie," a show that was not long for this world.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:02:11 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

Bob Zager

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:02 PM »
I vaguely recall seeing part of that show airing locally, one time only, on Detroit's NBC affiliate (not O & O, though).  Around that same time, the same station aired the pilot for The Guinness Game, with Bob Hilton hosting.

Although the EOTVGS mentions Hilton as original host, and Don Galloway later succeeding him, I am certain that Hilton only hosted the pilot.  My theory is based on the fact that I'd only seen the one episode with Hilton (that is, the pilot), and a photo of him on the set of the show, featured in the first Encyclopedia, was definitely from that pilot episode.

BTW, I also recall that instead of starting with $1,000 each, and betting money on the potential record breaking stunts, a question/answer segment was played to earn money used in betting.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 05:48:55 PM »
Bob Hilton hosted just the pilot of Guinness Game.  It was seen in this area too - oddly enough on a station which never even picked up the regular series.  One thing I remember about the pilot:  one of the prize cues was the theme to Money Maze.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Bob Zager

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:38:51 PM »

...One thing I remember about the pilot:  one of the prize cues was the theme to Money Maze.

You are correct!  And the same was true for some, but not all episodes of the syndicated series.  A recent post in the Audio and Video Clips section has the closing comments to a N.Y. Mets broadcast, and it has the Guinness Game theme music in it!

My local affiliate aired Guinness Game on Sundays (actually Monday mornings) at 1:00 a.m.  I tried to stay up and watch it a lot, since our home didn't have a VCR back in 1980.