Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Challenger goes mobile!  (Read 2452 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
The Challenger goes mobile!
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:16:16 PM »
Some of you know that many years ago I wrote a version of the Jeopardy! Challenger as a Windows app, mostly as a method to teach myself rudimentary app development for Windows. I was proud of the accomplishment, but it never got quite where I wanted it to go - specifically, something like that really wants to be on a handheld device, because for most people it's a little inconvenient to have a full-blown PC available while they are on their couch watching the show.

Well, no more! My first Windows Phone 7 app passed certification last night and went live on Zune Marketplace this morning. A&Q Challenger is rewritten from the ground up for the small screen, will remember where you are in a game if you have to back out or get a phone call or some such, and keeps track of your top 10 scores if you're the sort of person who likes keeping track of that sort of thing.

I invite everyone to check it out here, and for my Windows Phone 7 bretheren, here's the direct link to download it from Zune Marketplace.

Thanks for listening!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Neumms

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
Some of you know that many years ago I wrote a version of the Jeopardy! Challenger as a Windows app, mostly as a method to teach myself rudimentary app development for Windows. I was proud of the accomplishment, but it never got quite where I wanted it to go - specifically, something like that really wants to be on a handheld device, because for most people it's a little inconvenient to have a full-blown PC available while they are on their couch watching the show.

Congratulations, but wouldn't you be even prouder if it were an iPhone app? :-)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
Congratulations, but wouldn't you be even prouder if it were an iPhone app? :-)
Well, certainly I'd probably be wealthier. :) But, no, Visual Studio is what I (barely) know, so. In the exceptionally unlikely event that the app takes off enough to merit the expense both in money and sweat equity to rewrite the thing for iOS and/or Android, I'll revisit it then, but I suspect that's awfully unlikely.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »
It's really good- at least, as good as a Challenger can be.

Yes, I prefer Windows Phone over iOS.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

pacdude

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
You know, I've been thinking of releasing an iPhone app. I wonder if we could work together to port it somehow to iOS. All I need to learn is either Cocoa or AS3…