Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeff Probst talker for 2012......  (Read 8290 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Jeff Probst talker for 2012......
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 03:23:06 PM »
Like I said, it hasn't mattered worth a crap who has been hosting or connected with the morning program at CBS, they haven't been able to do much there. And they don't seem willing to concede that point and find some other way.
Actually, I got the impression that the latest move was absolutely a concession to their reality.  Field a B-team of capable but inexpensive (by network standards) talent and subsist off the third-place crumbs.  What "other way" is there except to totally give up and give the time back to the locals?  It's not like they'll be bringing back Captain Kangaroo.

I find it a little tough to believe that the Eye didn't make this move without believing that it would give them the ratings boost so desperately desired by the news division. I can't imagine they're taking it well at all. (Bet it also isn't helping that Scott Pelley hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with his takeover of the nightly broadcast- weren't his ratings actually lower than what they had been pulling in before he took over?)

And you are spot on as to where else can they go from here because the logical answer is to step away. But I doubt that's gonna happen.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »
I find it a little tough to believe that the Eye didn't make this move without believing that it would give them the ratings boost so desperately desired by the news division. I can't imagine they're taking it well at all. (Bet it also isn't helping that Scott Pelley hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with his takeover of the nightly broadcast- weren't his ratings actually lower than what they had been pulling in before he took over?)

And you are spot on as to where else can they go from here because the logical answer is to step away. But I doubt that's gonna happen.
I dunno...I kinda wonder how many times are they gonna try and reinvent the wheel before they realize none of their morning news efforts are helping them catch Today or even Good Morning America.

They tried Bryant Gumbel in 1999. Flopped.
I'm trying to remember was there an actual revamp between '99 and the last few months when they revamped the show again?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:07:56 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Gerald78

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »

Bet it also isn't helping that Scott Pelley hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with his takeover of the nightly broadcast- weren't his ratings actually lower than what they had been pulling in before he took over?)

Kinda sorta:  

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cbs-news-insists-scott-pelleys-off-to-a-fine-start-despite-what-you-may-have-read-here/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:28:59 PM by Matt Ottinger »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
They thought Hannah Storm was gonna be their savior for a while, I think. If you were to do an If They Mated with Storm and Greta Van Susteren, does the resulting offspring actually talk out of the center of their mouth?

I think CBS was definitely looking to tighten the purse-strings with this latest crew, but at the same time I think they had a glimmer of hope that it would catch on. I tend to watch the show for a couple minutes in the morning when I'm getting ready for work (pretty much solely by the virtue of the TV being tuned there when I turn it on, since I usually go to sleep with Letterman / CraigyFerg), and Hill and Wragge actually do have a modicum of talent and enough chemistry that it isn't that painful to watch.

/I'd subsist off of Erica Hill's crumbs anytime
//giggity
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »
You and I read both of these events completely differently.  In both cases, especially in the case of the morning show, I totally saw the move as a cut-our-losses white flag.  To use your phraseology, I find it a little tough to believe that the Eye thought replacing established, well-known figures with nobodies, and making no other changes, would improve their situation in the slightest.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:12:47 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tvwxman

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/survivors-jeff-probst-inks-deal-205869

Rumor has it that CBS is willing to forfeit an hour of daytime programming in exchange for its affiliates picking up this talk show. Even though "The Talk" is currently the network's lowest rated show, it and Let's Make A Deal are neck and neck in the 18-49 demo.

Tyshaun
Guys : It's syndicated. You're all reading waaaaayyyyyy too much into this.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

TonicBH

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
Is it even viable to keep The Early Show on at this stage? Probably would be smarter for CBS to try new show ideas -- maybe even game shows -- than to constantly be stomped by GMA and Today with their sub-par morning show. Sure as hell ain't giving that time back to affiliates, that's certain.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:37 PM »
Is it even viable to keep The Early Show on at this stage? Probably would be smarter for CBS to try new show ideas -- maybe even game shows -- than to constantly be stomped by GMA and Today with their sub-par morning show. Sure as hell ain't giving that time back to affiliates, that's certain.
I wouldn't do game shows in the early show slot.  If anything, I would do repeats of the previous night's primetime. Two or three hours for those who missed it/work third shift, etc.  It's a new idea, but one that would work and be a fresh alternative to the info on the other channels.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TonicBH

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:27 PM »
I wouldn't do game shows in the early show slot.  If anything, I would do repeats of the previous night's primetime. Two or three hours for those who missed it/work third shift, etc.  It's a new idea, but one that would work and be a fresh alternative to the info on the other channels.

That would be a great idea.

...If it was 10 years ago, before DVRs were commonplace. Nowadays most people probably DVR shows they missed, or get them from on-demand services.
You Found a Secret Area: The place where I write about dumb game show and video game stuff occasionally.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 10:42:20 PM »
Guys : It's syndicated. You're all reading waaaaayyyyyy too much into this.
If it were such hot stuff, the network would cancel LMAD and put the Probst show on the network.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »
You and I read both of these events completely differently.  In both cases, especially in the case of the morning show, I totally saw the move as a cut-our-losses white flag.  To use your phraseology, I find it a little tough to believe that the Eye thought replacing established, well-known figures with nobodies, and making no other changes, would improve their situation in the slightest.

Eh. I like to believe in most cases, when a move like that is made it's to try to drive the ratings up. But I see where you come from.

Only people who know the real reasons are the ones who were part of the decision making process and they ain't talkin'.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022