Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Say Hello to The Money Drop  (Read 11035 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Say Hello to The Money Drop
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'251233\' date=\'Nov 19 2010, 06:22 AM\']Call it anticlimactic, call it counterintuitive, call it whatever cool adjective you want, but it violates a cardinal rule of game structure, at least as far as what American audiences have come to expect.  Shows certainly have gotten on the air with a few of those cardinal rules broken in the past. Some have even been successful, though not many and never for very long.[/quote]I'm not saying that I like or dislike it, I'm just reporting that's what it is for those who don't know. The most telling bit is that no one managed to keep even 10% of their original stake through the gauntlet of guessing.

I would say that the whole "losing" angle fits into Fox's programming nicely: Greed had lots of losers and few winners, plus the whole Terminator angle, which guaranteed a loser at that point, and The Chamber had the "lose half your money" rule when it could have just as easily been "You didn't make it to seven minutes so you don't earn anything more," but they went with halfsies anyway. (Notwithstanding all the OTHER reasons to loathe The Chamber, but they had this too.)

[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'251286\' date=\'Nov 20 2010, 09:58 AM\']One canny element of this formula, then, is that players are forced into staking money on "guess" questions. They avoid Greed's pitfall that to get to the top of their ladder, they had to keep finding kooks.[/quote]Perhaps a sign that those in charge finally realized that people weren't going to risk their wad on a blind stab, and allowed teams that reached the sixth level to keep a portion of their money. That didn't negate the entire second half of the game relying on Those Questions of Theirs, but it was something.
Travis L. Eberle

toetyper

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
"so  steve, on the  first question you're betting ONE MILLION  DOLLARS on  the fact you  think kermit the frog is green"

/exciting  or lame?  
//i report; you decide
///unlike fox news

J.R.

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'251330\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 08:48 AM\']"so  steve, on the  first question you're betting ONE MILLION  DOLLARS on  the fact you  think kermit the frog is green"[/quote]
lulz

[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'251330\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 08:48 AM\']/exciting  or lame?  
//i report; you decide
///unlike fox news[/quote]Yey, politics.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 01:33:19 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
They just showed a commercial during the game. I'm guessing it'll be pretty heavily promoted as we get closer to the premiere date.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'251330\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 06:48 AM\']"so  steve, on the  first question you're betting ONE MILLION  DOLLARS on the fact you think kermit the frog is green"[/quote]One of the things that MPD was able to do because they aired live was respond to feedback. There was much complaining over how tedious it was to have one wrong answer drop out, so on the second episode and later, there started to be faster decisions, which moved the game along.
Travis L. Eberle

tpirfan28

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2010, 02:42:16 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'251339\' date=\'Nov 21 2010, 01:35 PM\']They just showed a commercial during the game. I'm guessing it'll be pretty heavily promoted as we get closer to the premiere date.[/quote]
The Rich List says hi.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

inturnaround

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2010, 03:27:54 AM »
Don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere, but Kevin Pollak said last night during the Never Not Funny Pardcastathon that the show will premiere with 4 straight nights of shows. I believe he said it starts 12/20.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

That Don Guy

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2010, 03:31:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'251299\' date=\'Nov 20 2010, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'251295\' date=\'Nov 20 2010, 03:40 PM\']Apparently Fox has already decided they like it:
So much so that they're double running it...

Ryan.[/quote]
Liking it or burning it off?  If I'm reading the article right, the show will follow previously aired episodes of "Glee."  Musicals historically don't repeat well.
[/quote]
Neither, probably.  Fox probably just thinks that they don't have anything to fill the other 30 minutes in that hour.  (What was their last half-hour show that was anything resembling a game show and wasn't run back-to-back, anyway - Unan1mous?  30 Seconds to Fame?  Fox has even decided against reducing the American Idol results shows from an hour to 30 minutes.)

Wasn't Hole in the Wall always run as two half-hour episodes back-to-back?  I don't remember anyone ever saying that that show was being burned off right from the start.

As for musicals not repeating well, that's probably true in most cases, but remember that Glee is pretty much a series of musical numbers with the occasional plot to link them; I think repeats will do reasonably well.  Besides, how much of a crossover audience do you think exists between Glee and MDMD (or is it MD2)?

EDIT: I just saw a Fox press release that said they will be airing 2 hours of MDMD on Monday 12/20 and Thursday 12/23 (along with one hour on 12/21 and 12/22).  Still, having a 2-hour premiere didn't hurt Greed any, now did it?

-- Don
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:08:59 PM by That Don Guy »