Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration  (Read 12619 times)

Jimmy Owen

Classic Concentration
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 09:17:18 PM »
What about "Snap Judgment," the format of which was changed in its waning days to that of "Password."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2003, 09:18:35 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

joshg

Classic Concentration
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 09:17:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 09:13 PM\']On a related note, I see that the Palm Trees received the most votes in the FoF and will be shown on Thanksgiving Day...

Huh? GSN doesn't have rights to air any form of Concentration.[/quote]

I know that... I thought it was funny when I typed it earlier...
looks like it wasn't

Mr. Dry Humor

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Classic Concentration
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 10:39:10 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 07:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 09:13 PM\']On a related note, I see that the Palm Trees received the most votes in the FoF and will be shown on Thanksgiving Day...

Huh? GSN doesn't have rights to air any form of Concentration.[/quote]

I know that... I thought it was funny when I typed it earlier...
looks like it wasn't
 [/quote]
 A very astute observation.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

Classic Concentration
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2003, 12:52:30 AM »
The green take was in by the first Christmas episode (contestant named Joyce Joyce).

Palm trees were OK, but I preferred the snowflakes.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
Classic Concentration
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 07:55:45 AM »
I think CC has been tinkered the most, with Card Sharks being a close second.

CS had the MC rules modified several times during the 78-81 run. At first, you could only change your first card at the bottom level, later all 3 levels' base card can be turned, then (along with the excessive $500 bonuses) the push rule (which was carried to the Eubankseses' version).

If we fast forward to the Eubankseses' version, they still had the push rule. The cards could now be changed anywhere, at anytime (which is a good thing since if you had an 8, you can change it more than once). They later tinked that so it'd be one card per line. That was just as good too (compared to the Perry MC).

The MC was also modified because of the car game, which is good and bad. Good because its a $10K+ car, bad, because it already slows down the progress of the show.

Lets not get started with the Bullard Version, albeit a $51,800 jackpot possible ($27450 was the highest ever won on this version...why I know this? I had the gall to actually tape the episode)

TimK2003

Classic Concentration
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2003, 09:30:08 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 12:15 PM\'] In no particular order:

one loss and you're gone
win 2 out of 3 games (the yellow **s on the podiums)
2 losses and you're gone (the red XXs on the podiums)
one bonus round per show
a bonus round after every puzzle
rebus puzzle answers shown before the game starts
the contestant explains the rebus
the sweater shows
those god-awful neon palm trees
 [/quote]
 You forgot to mention all the crazy TAKE colors they were throwing in there for a while. (Maybe because contestants kept taking the TAKEs home with them? -- ducking).  I was kinda hoping Alex would pull out a Orange Polka-Dotted TAKE.

joshg

Classic Concentration
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2003, 10:38:06 PM »
You forgot to mention all the crazy TAKE colors they were throwing in there for a while. (Maybe because contestants kept taking the TAKEs home with them? -- ducking). I was kinda hoping Alex would pull out a Orange Polka-Dotted TAKE.

Really? I only remember Red and Green...

Then again, maybe I fell for a joke and I didn't realize it...

JOSH
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

Jimmy Owen

Classic Concentration
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2003, 10:55:41 PM »
Subtle changes on CC: Diana Taylor to Marjorie Goodson; Alex switching to casual clothes; Alex sitting down in the main game then back to standing.  I always wondered what the studio audience saw during the taping, did they watch the same monitor as the players?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrJWJustice

Classic Concentration
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2003, 11:24:31 PM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 01:23 PM\'] "Password" has been abused both on-air (the *wonderful* 'Stars' format) and pre-air (Plus, Super). [/quote]
 PW All-Stars could be called an abuse, but I don't think I can agree with PW+ being an abuse.  Allen Ludden actually seemed to like the challenge of the Password Puzzle aspect of the game.  Now, the specifics of the format changed as it went thorugh a very tortured 3-year run.  That *might* qualify as abuse, but I'll leave that to the eye of the beholder.  

SuperPW was little more than a tweaking of PW+, and it stayed true to its format throughout its run.

Brandon Brooks

Classic Concentration
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2003, 12:32:00 AM »
[quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 10:38 PM\'] Then again, maybe I fell for a joke and I didn't realize it...
 [/quote]
 Well, that's because it wasn't that good.

Brandon Brooks

Robert Hutchinson

Classic Concentration
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2003, 02:47:04 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Nov 26 2003, 12:32 AM\'] [quote name=\'matchgame\' date=\'Nov 25 2003, 10:38 PM\'] Then again, maybe I fell for a joke and I didn't realize it...
 [/quote]
Well, that's because it wasn't that good.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 The jokes in this thread are a puzzle. Can you solve it?

RAN + DUMB = Random
&
SIR + EEL = Surreal

Random and surreal!
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

bricon

Classic Concentration
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2003, 10:46:34 AM »
I always wondered what the studio audience saw during the taping, did they watch the same monitor as the players?

The contestants looked at the puzzle on a big screen directly in front of them.  The audience had to watch the monitors above the bleachers.

davemackey

Classic Concentration
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2003, 03:14:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 12:30 PM\']
Is this the only Goodson (or G-T) show that has ever had a massive amount of on-air tweaking? The only other G-T show that comes to mind in regards of tweaks and changes is Now You See It.

"Now You See It" only had one major change - Christmas week 1974 when they totally revamped the format (speaking of that, has anyone got that first revamped episode on tape?)

They did have a minor change part way through with the "bonus answers" rule, where contestants could get 10 extra points if they got an answer right that they wrote down before the round started. [/quote]
 Biggest change of all was getting rid of the "Chump Change" theme music in favor of an Edd Kalehoff composition midway through the series. (By the time the show went off the air, "Chump Change" was back.)

PeterMarshallFan

Classic Concentration
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2003, 03:19:40 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Nov 26 2003, 04:14 PM\'] Biggest change of all was getting rid of the "Chump Change" theme music in favor of an Edd Kalehoff composition midway through the series. (By the time the show went off the air, "Chump Change" was back.) [/quote]
 That was one of Kalehoff's worst compositions, IMO. Sounded very uneven and well, bad.

ChuckNet

Classic Concentration
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2003, 01:20:57 PM »
That was one of Kalehoff's worst compositions, IMO. Sounded very uneven and well, bad.

...which is prolly why it only lasted a coupla wks before Chump Change was reinstated, although they continued to use Kalehoff's theme as a commercial outro cue for the rest of the series.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")