Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super password and the noon news  (Read 13520 times)

JonSea31

Super password and the noon news
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:47 AM »
The local NBC affiliate in Detroit never aired it for some strange reason - except for a few months in the summer of 1987, probably just as a time filler as some talk show may have been cancelled in May 1987 and something had to go in that slot until something new would replace the cancelled show.  The Detroit affiliate dropped Super Password when something new debuted in September 1987.

Newfoundland (where I received the Detroit feed) didn't get to see the full spectrum of Super Password until GSN picked it up as early as 2005.

However, I don't know why such show lasted 4 1/2 years.  That's very impressive for a show that was not cleared by many local affiliates.
I am developing classic game show PC games.
If you'd like to find out information about them, PM me anytime.

Scrabbleship

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
I remember that for a time NBC O&O WRC in Washington aired Super Password on a day's delay at 9:30 (and pretty much everything before it going back to Card Sharks). By 1986, it was in the noon slot as the network intended.

Boston, Providence, Springfield, MA, Albany, and Baltimore also were markets where the NBC affiliate never cleared it though in at least Boston and Albany an indy picked it up for part of the run. Odd thing about Albany is that didn't preempt it for news but for other syndicated programming including other game shows (Crosswits '86, Split Second '87, and the last season of Davidson Squares to name three).

tvmitch

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 04:14:47 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'250781\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 05:13 AM\']WGAL in Lancaster also never aired an episode of SP as "Noonday on 8" aired instead. KYW in Philly aired NBC's game shows in an odd pattern - Scrabble at 3pm, SP at 3:30, and WoF at 4.[/quote]
Boy, I don't have my TV Guides with me, but I'm wondering about that SP at 3:30pm on KYW thing. Was that for the whole run? I remember thinking it was neat that WRC in Washington even carried SP at all, because we never saw it in our market...but we did get KYW on cable at the time. But then again, I remember watching Scrabble at 3pm on KYW, at least sometimes, in the summer.
You should follow me on Twitter

That Don Guy

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 04:16:52 PM »
IIRC, The only two shows San Francisco's then-NBC affiliate (KRON) didn't air that I can think of were 50 Grand Slam and Just Men!.

(Although NBC would later revoke KRON's affiliation mainly because of too many times it wouldn't air NBC shows, I don't think either of these two played a big part in that.  (It was mainly the decision to air old movies instead of NBC sports programs on Saturdays, although one too many pre-emptions for Oakland A's games - including moving an Olympic Track & Field Trials to midnight - played its part as well.)

-- Don

toetyper

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 04:29:47 PM »
so what percent of the country NEVER  got  super  passsword

J.R.

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'250826\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 03:29 PM\']so what percent of the country NEVER  got  super  passsword[/quote]
-Joe Raygor

Ian Wallis

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 04:44:12 PM »
I remember that for a time NBC O&O WRC in Washington aired Super Password on a day's delay at 9:30 (and pretty much everything before it going back to Card Sharks). By 1986, it was in the noon slot as the network intended.

I was always under the impression that O&O's carried the whole schedule in order...that's why the networks owned and operated them, to be sure their schedule would be seen by at least that much of the country.

How common was it for an O&O to either tape-delay or not carry a show at all?  It seems rather odd to me.

I guess another question is when do the local stations needs outweigh the networks - especially if the network owns the station?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

toetyper

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'250827\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 04:43 PM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'250826\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 03:29 PM\']so what percent of the country NEVER  got  super  passsword[/quote]
[/quote]

you're missing a zero'''

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'250832\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 01:59 PM\']you're missing a zero'''[/quote]
No, he isn't.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

NickS

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'250833\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 04:04 PM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'250832\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 01:59 PM\']you're missing a zero'''[/quote]
No, he isn't.
[/quote]

Beat me to it.  Curses, you!

/don't panic

brianhenke

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
WLWT didn't carry SP here in Cincinnati; however, Ch. 64 (then WIII) picked up and aired it beifgly

Brian
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 07:50:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'250828\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 03:44 PM\']I was always under the impression that O&O's carried the whole schedule in order...that's why the networks owned and operated them, to be sure their schedule would be seen by at least that much of the country.

How common was it for an O&O to either tape-delay or not carry a show at all?  It seems rather odd to me.

I guess another question is when do the local stations needs outweigh the networks - especially if the network owns the station?[/quote]
WBBM in Chicago tape-delayed quite a bit once they wrestled DONAHUE from WGN on 1/4/82.  The 9AM CT offerings (sitcom reruns then PYRAMID and CP/PYL/CS86) were moved to 10AM CT and delayed by a day, TPiR got bounced to 3PM (and also aired on a one day delay) and CBS' 11AM/3PM CT offering (airing at 11AM) was also delayed a day.  By the summer of 1986 (don't remember if DONAHUE changed times or moved to WMAQ at that point), PYRAMID, CS and TPiR got run with the rest of the network (ET/CT), but PYL (still at 11AM CT) was still on delay.

Then in 1991-92, WBBM dumped the network reruns of DESIGNING WOMEN in favor of MAURY (moving Combs FF to after TPiR).  And the first half hour of FFC never aired in Chicago (the second half hour did after TPiR).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:52:29 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

calliaume

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 09:41:56 PM »
WNBC in NYC ran it at noon, as they did all their games.  I don't think any of the New York stations ran a noon newscast until PYL was moved to 4 PM in 1986.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 09:43:38 PM »
KNBC in Los Angeles aired it at 11:00 A.M.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'250828\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 04:44 PM\']I was always under the impression that O&O's carried the whole schedule in order...that's why the networks owned and operated them, to be sure their schedule would be seen by at least that much of the country.

I guess another question is when do the local stations needs outweigh the networks - especially if the network owns the station?[/quote]

I know of one O&O station in Philadelphia, WPVI (ABC), that preempted network shows.  Prior to becoming an O&O, the station had a reputation for preempting ABC programs for local programming.  This continued even after the station's owner, CapCities, bought ABC and made the station an O&O in 1986.  Match Game '90 is one example, WPVI never aired it despite network-owned status.  The preemptions finally ended when Disney bought CapCities/ABC in 1997.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15