Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Michael G. Richards just doesn't get it...  (Read 9105 times)

JMFabiano

Michael G. Richards just doesn't get it...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 11:49:20 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250651\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 11:19 PM\'][quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'250647\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 08:16 PM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250640\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 10:51 PM\']It doesn't make Wayne a better host for the vehicle.[/quote]I think this is the more important issue for critics than whether Mr. Richards "gets it."  My take on the original statement is the director is trying to play to the host's strengths in order to make the show good.  How is that a dumb or bad idea?[/quote]Because the show is no longer Let's Make a Deal or The Price is Right, but the Drew Carey Comedy Showcase or the Wayne Brady Improv Hour, but with prizes interspersed.
[/quote]

And that is the important part indeed.  As long as the game is the same and the star of the program, it's OK for Drew and/or Wayne to provide a little entertainment.  It seems easier to have that balance on TPIR somehow, maybe because it has a more fixed format?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:50:41 PM by JMFabiano »
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 11:51:03 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'250654\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 08:42 PM\']Please report for work at 10 am tomorrow at 7800 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles. Just pry the existing name plate from the office door.[/quote]Here's the sad thing: I'm just A Guy. I like watching game shows. I haven't written a Masters thesis on them or anything. But I had enough sense that when Joe asked his question, I had the answer right there.

I'm not willing to ascribe this all to stupidity when we don't know if Mike is getting direction from On High to shape the programs in these ways. When we do, I'll totally go stupidity.
Travis L. Eberle

CarbonCpy

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:04 AM »
That tears it -- I'm starting up an "indie scene" for game shows.  Sign up sheet is on the bulletin board by the teachers' lounge.  Who's with me?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 12:16:54 AM »
If I win Powerball or Mega Millions, I'm spending it on the game show equivalent of Revision3.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 12:16:55 AM »
I'm not willing to ascribe this all to stupidity when we don't know if Mike is getting direction from On High to shape the programs in these ways.
That's a fair statement. I, on the other hand, have credible sources telling me about the backstage operations of LMAD, which is why I made my snark.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:26:46 AM by chris319 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 12:24:03 AM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' post=\'250658\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 09:14 PM\']That tears it -- I'm starting up an "indie scene" for game shows.  Sign up sheet is on the bulletin board by the teachers' lounge.  Who's with me?[/quote]
No shortage of frustrated game show producers here.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 11:42:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250651\' date=\'Nov 10 2010, 11:19 PM\']Because the show is no longer Let's Make a Deal or The Price is Right, but the Drew Carey Comedy Showcase or the Wayne Brady Improv Hour, but with prizes interspersed.[/quote]
Okay, but I contend that's less a by-product of Richards' directing than it is from the selection of Carey and Brady as hosts.
This signature is currently under construction.

LA the DJ

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 05:53:02 PM »
[quote name=\'CarbonCpy\' post=\'250658\' date=\'Nov 11 2010, 12:14 AM\']That tears it -- I'm starting up an "indie scene" for game shows.  Sign up sheet is on the bulletin board by the teachers' lounge.  Who's with me?[/quote]

One could make the argument that BuzzerBlog's recent foray into podcast game shows is exactly that.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I didn't interpret his statement as him saying that's what's going to be happening every day. And, I mean, even the classic version of the show (including the pilot) utilized some forms of poetry and acting to deliver clues/prizes/etc...who's not to say this will be a modern take on that?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 10:17:47 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'250790\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 10:14 AM\']who's not to say this will be a modern take on that?[/quote][quote name=\'MRichards\']Expect impromptu raps and musical numbers[/quote]Not impressed with what the rap/hip-hop scene did to the NBA.  It doesn't need to find its way into game shows as well.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:18:02 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 12:49:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'250791\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 07:17 AM\']Not impressed with what the rap/hip-hop scene did to the NBA.[/quote]
I'm sorry, did they start freestyling during time-outs and nobody told me?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'250791\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 10:17 AM\'][quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'250790\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 10:14 AM\']who's not to say this will be a modern take on that?[/quote][quote name=\'MRichards\']Expect impromptu raps and musical numbers[/quote]Not impressed with what the rap/hip-hop scene did to the NBA.  It doesn't need to find its way into game shows as well.
[/quote]
Way, way off the mark. Hip-hop is not invading Let's Make A Deal. It would be foolish to assume that the presence of "impromptu raps" would change a television game show into whatever you see the NBA as.

Speaking of which, what did you mean by that?
Podcaster, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

Mr. Brown

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 10:50:03 PM »
Mikey has apparently never "got it," regardless of what show he's working on at the time.... this blurb from The Randumb Show:

The Randumb Show is the longest running TV show in the history of Pepperdine, produced solely by students. The show has generated more people who go on to work in the entertainment industry than any other show on campus. The show originated in 1995 When Mike Richards (right: now Executive Producer of "The Price is Right" & "Let's Make a Deal") was kicked off the News team because he made too many jokes on air. He was allotted a space on what was then TV3 (later TV26, and currently TV32), Pepperdine's channel on Charter Cable. He hosted and produced the show in a late night talk show style where he would call up guests, roll a number of sketches and usually have a musical guest perform live.

Also, they apparently filmed an anniversary special on Price's set, with Mike's "triumphant" return.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 10:51:52 PM by Mr. Brown »
Cheers,
Mr. Brown, Esq.
‎"I am on a drug. It's called Charlie Sheen. It's not available because if you try it, you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body." -Charlie Sheen

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 11:01:26 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'250804\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 10:28 AM\']Way, way off the mark. Hip-hop is not invading Let's Make A Deal. It would be foolish to assume that the presence of "impromptu raps" would change a television game show into whatever you see the NBA as.[/quote] But here's the problem: when I turn on Jeopardy, I'm expecting a fast-paced hard quiz show. I'm not expecting a comedy showcase, or Hangman, or shopping. When I watch Whose Line...I expect a comedy showcase, and not guys trying to score points while dodging the resident behemoths. And so on.

It is evident that those in charge believe that LMAD is not enough of a format to stand on its own legs, and therefore they need to tart up the Zonks, or have various other things that stretch out the game. If you can't put together an hour of content, don't put out an hour-long product.

Speaking of which, what did you mean by that?
A person who looks up "music in the NBA" on Wikipedia will find that "hip-hop culture" as the top of the pops. That alone wasn't enough to convince me to stop watching, having an absolutely rubbish team topped the survey board, replaced by "no team." Personally, I prefer Roundball Rock to Jay-Z or Nelly.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 08:39:52 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'250804\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 01:28 PM\'][quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'250791\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 10:17 AM\'][quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'250790\' date=\'Nov 12 2010, 10:14 AM\']who's not to say this will be a modern take on that?[/quote][quote name=\'MRichards\']Expect impromptu raps and musical numbers[/quote]Not impressed with what the rap/hip-hop scene did to the NBA.  It doesn't need to find its way into game shows as well.
[/quote]Speaking of which, what did you mean by that?[/quote]It meant exactly what I said.  I dislike the fact that crap that wouldn't have even qualified as music 30 years ago has made its way into the mainstream.  I also feel the NBA has too much of a thug culture--IMO part of it stems from the rap/hip-hop music that its now associated with.

It has a trickle-down effect and 90% of the time when I ref a junior high or high school basketball game, I have to hear "Heart of a Champion" or some other 'tune'.  What was wrong with Gary Glitter?
--Mark
Phil 4:13