Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Vieira Slated To Leave The Today Show  (Read 6381 times)

Jimmy Owen

Vieira Slated To Leave The Today Show
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250556\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 10:03 PM\']You were right Joe, whoosh.[/quote]
So, wait, you actually agree with me?  Cool!
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 10:11:38 PM »
Erm, no. But hey, how's the fishing?
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 10:11:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250554\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 08:48 PM\']For one reason or another, Travis doesn't agree with my reasoned analysis and is refuting it with the notion that Millionaire is somehow equal to Jeopardy in importance here in 2010.  If we accept the story about Viera leaving Today to travel with her family, wouldn't it follow that she would not have time for Millionaire?  The sub-hosts they've had to fill in for Meredith have been uniformly bland and the show is no longer a watercooler conversation topic, so why would it continue without her?  Does it even air in prime access in any market?  Travis is so fixated on disagreeing with me that he's making absurd statements.  Just let me have my opinion, and if it's wrong, so be it.[/quote]

The difficulty is that your analysis isn't particularly reasoned.  It's based on gut and nothing more.  This is one of those "How dare you let your facts interfere with my opinion" moments.  Are you saying with a straight face that Jeopardy is something that the plebes discuss the next morning?  Plus you're trying to pull the "taking my ball and going home" card.  That doesn't play well here, and you've been here long enough to know this.

Feud is not a water cooler topic either.  It's on its fourth host in its current incarnation, but it's got more seasons under its belt than Dawson.  Meanwhile, the guest hosts on Millionaire are nothing more than stunt casting, and there's a big difference between letting some goof sit in the hosts chair for a week and hamming it up, and making said goof the face of the show.

That said, I'll offer up random speculation as well: It would more likely follow that they can change the taping schedule to something more compact, as some other syndicated game shows do, knock an entire season out in a month or two, and tell Meredith, "See you next year when it's time to tell you about the new lifeline."
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'250559\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 07:11 PM\']The difficulty is that your analysis isn't particularly reasoned.  It's based on gut and nothing more.  This is one of those "How dare you let your facts interfere with my opinion" moments.  Are you saying with a straight face that Jeopardy is something that the plebes discuss the next morning?  Plus you're trying to pull the "taking my ball and going home" card.  That doesn't play well here, and you've been here long enough to know this.

Feud is not a water cooler topic either.  It's on its fourth host in its current incarnation, but it's got more seasons under its belt than Dawson.  Meanwhile, the guest hosts on Millionaire are nothing more than stunt casting, and there's a big difference between letting some goof sit in the hosts chair for a week and hamming it up, and making said goof the face of the show.

That said, I'll offer up random speculation as well: It would more likely follow that they can change the taping schedule to something more compact, as some other syndicated game shows do, knock an entire season out in a month or two, and tell Meredith, "See you next year when it's time to tell you about the new lifeline."[/quote]Quoted for truth.

All of it.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 10:25:47 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250560\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 10:15 PM\'][quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'250559\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 07:11 PM\']The difficulty is that your analysis isn't particularly reasoned.  It's based on gut and nothing more.  This is one of those "How dare you let your facts interfere with my opinion" moments.  Are you saying with a straight face that Jeopardy is something that the plebes discuss the next morning?  Plus you're trying to pull the "taking my ball and going home" card.  That doesn't play well here, and you've been here long enough to know this.

That said, I'll offer up random speculation as well: It would more likely follow that they can change the taping schedule to something more compact, as some other syndicated game shows do, knock an entire season out in a month or two, and tell Meredith, "See you next year when it's time to tell you about the new lifeline."[/quote]Quoted for truth.

All of it.
[/quote]
The ball is still in play.  Let's hear more opinions!  Travis is just holding on to something against me that he should let go.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:27:38 PM by Jimmy Owen »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 10:32:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250518\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 08:52 AM\']There's no great buzz about Millionaire anymore, even with the changes, so I'm guessing the show will probably be going out of production after this season anyway. If she's devoting her free time to travel, there shouldn't be any conflict.[/quote]Here's an opinion: I think this is a baseless statement.

I hold things against people who say silly stuff and then don't own it.
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 10:39:14 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250564\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 10:32 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250518\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 08:52 AM\']There's no great buzz about Millionaire anymore, even with the changes, so I'm guessing the show will probably be going out of production after this season anyway. If she's devoting her free time to travel, there shouldn't be any conflict.[/quote]Here's an opinion: I think this is a baseless statement.

I hold things against people who say silly stuff and then don't own it.
[/quote]
Why do you try to pick fights?  I stand by my original opinion.  We'll see if I'm right or wrong in due time.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:05 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250566\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 07:39 PM\']Why do you try to pick fights?  I stand by my original opinion.  We'll see if I'm right or wrong in due time.[/quote]I just answered your question. You don't have to like it.

Game shows don't have to have "buzz" to stay on. Gene gave several reasons for that, and you still haven't really addressed the point that several people have made, and that's you don't really have a leg to stand on in believing "your opinion."
Travis L. Eberle

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 11:04:56 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'250568\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 10:51 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250566\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 07:39 PM\']Why do you try to pick fights?  I stand by my original opinion.  We'll see if I'm right or wrong in due time.[/quote]I just answered your question. You don't have to like it.

Game shows don't have to have "buzz" to stay on. Gene gave several reasons for that, and you still haven't really addressed the point that several people have made, and that's you don't really have a leg to stand on in believing "your opinion."
[/quote]
Meredith said in the mag article that she wants to get away from work to travel. Looking "forward to not working" as she is quoted.  Do you feel that Millionaire will stay in production without her?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 11:15:20 PM by Jimmy Owen »

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250569\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 08:04 PM\']Meredith said in the mag article that she wants to get away from work to travel. Looking "forward to not working" as she is quoted.[/quote] I look forward to not working too, just at 5:31 pm on a Friday night. I look forward to...about sixty hours of not working. While I could see reading "looking forward to not working" as "not working, ever," I shall remain the eternal optimist and hope that next year the show returns and the value of each question is determined by skee-ball. Or mini-golf. Or Marble Madness. Something. Anything.

Do you feel that Millionaire will stay in production without her?
If it is making enough money for all concerned, yes, they absolutely would. A good number of the guest hosts were decent enough that I would welcome them into my home on a more permanent basis. Whether Tom Bergeron or Cat Deeley want the extra work is their quibble.

They could also knock out 175 episodes in about seven weeks if they were intent on getting an entire year of Millionaire done at once and keeping the same host.
Travis L. Eberle

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 11:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250569\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 10:04 PM\']Meredith said in the mag article that she wants to get away from work to travel. Looking "forward to not working" as she is quoted.  Do you feel that Millionaire will stay in production without her?[/quote]
Did you feel that Price would stay in production a few years ago?

More to the point, which of the following scenarios happened about a decade ago:

a) "We're making a daytime Millionaire, let's find a host."

or

b) "We're making a show for Meredith, let's find a format."
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

sotcfan2004

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:15 AM »
After spending a solid hour searching for another article to back this one up, I found none. Not one. Not through Google, not through Yahoo, and not through the AP.  This 'Dime Wars' article's principle source: The Ladies' Home Journal- otherwise known as a pillar of journalistic excellence.

I'm not Meredith Viera's biggest fan in the world, but I respect her body of work and her as a person enough to want something other than a big honking 'maybe' blown entirely out of proportion.

Call me when this reaches the New York Times.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 07:11:34 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'250574\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 11:42 PM\'][quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250569\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 10:04 PM\']Meredith said in the mag article that she wants to get away from work to travel. Looking "forward to not working" as she is quoted.  Do you feel that Millionaire will stay in production without her?[/quote]
Did you feel that Price would stay in production a few years ago?

More to the point, which of the following scenarios happened about a decade ago:

a) "We're making a daytime Millionaire, let's find a host."

or

b) "We're making a show for Meredith, let's find a format."
[/quote]
I thought Price would stay in production without Bob because it still has a good fan and network/station base.  It's a daytime staple.  Meredith already had a lot of live TV on her plate when she was selected, so they went out of their way to accomodate her.  After all, they could have picked Martindale, Woolery, Clark, etc.  I would have preferred Philbin or as Michael Davies originally proposed, Bill Cullen.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:22:05 PM by Jimmy Owen »

golden-road

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 08:18:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'250554\' date=\'Nov 9 2010, 09:48 PM\']Does it even air in prime access in any market?[/quote]

Um... KTNV Las Vegas at 7:30 for one.

mmb5

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
(Occasionally work has its perks)...

Only reasonably-sized markets that carry it in prime access are Las Vegas, Charlotte and Dayton, and I count around 30 in total.

Top 10 markets are all daytime.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.