Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Where do you differ from the norm?  (Read 72168 times)

pacdude

Where do you differ from the norm?
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2011, 10:23:49 PM »
* I hated Anne Robinson on The Weakest Link. I fail to see how insulting someone can be "funny", even if you really truly don't mean it.

Would like to have a word.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #151 on: July 03, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »
Among the highlights and lowlights:

I find Match Game to be a mediocre show at best most of the time. There are a few episodes (usually the episodes where it appears the panel has had a few too many) that come off as genuinely enjoyable, but most episodes fall somewhere in the neighborhood of "moderately entertaining background noise". Meanwhile another 70s staple, The Gong Show, is one of the more entertaining half-hours of television I've seen, and I could watch hours of it a day.

I hate Golden Road. Golden-Road is just a higher stakes, glorified version of the maligned Pick a Number game, and as a pricing game always puts me to sleep until the very end. And if the end prize is anything other than a supercar, I usually remain asleep then too.

Doug Davidson was a little rough around the edges, but I found the 1994 version of Price is Right to be a great take on the show.

I find the 80s version of Let's Make a Deal more enjoyable than the 70s version. I can't explain this one, I just do. Just as inexplicably, the Peter Marshall version of Hollywood Squares is my least favorite of the three stand-alone versions.

I think Pat Finn is a vastly underrated game show host. I found his work on Shop Til You Drop and Big Spin to be quite enjoyable, and he even made the 1990 version of Joker's Wild watchable.  Conversely, I find Allen Ludden to be vastly overrated. On-air he always seemed to come off as a pompous and condescending windbag.

Finally: I think Jack  was by far the more talented Narz brother. Don't take that to mean I think Tom Kennedy is a bad game show host, because I think he was fairly good most of the time. I just think Jack is one of the best hosts I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:40:48 AM by Seth Thrasher »

tpirfan28

« Reply #152 on: July 03, 2011, 04:01:34 PM »
Playing Plinko every week of a Price is Right season is boring and repetitive.  The game isn't that stellar.

Don't know how common this is, but I'm sure it'll start a debate: What's My Line is better than To Tell The Truth.
EDIT:  I already said this.  Yay bumping
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:02:58 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

ET206

« Reply #153 on: July 03, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
Among the highlights and lowlights:

I find the 80s version of Let's Make a Deal more enjoyable than the 70s version. I can't explain this one, I just do.

I agree.  Plus, the models were far hotter than Carol.

I think Pat Finn is a vastly underrated game show host. I found his work on Shop Til You Drop and Big Spin to be quite enjoyable, and he even made the 1990 version of Joker's Wild watchable.  Conversely, I find Allen Ludden to be vastly overrated. On-air he always seemed to come off as a pompous and condescending windbag.

Agree and highly agree.

Brian44

« Reply #154 on: July 03, 2011, 07:29:15 PM »
I find Allen Ludden to be vastly overrated. On-air he always seemed to come off as a pompous and condescending windbag.

Agreed, but he seemed more relaxed as a guest on other shows than he did as the host of his own. I dreaded his Password/P+ contestant interviews--little to no interaction. When the camera was back on him, it usually felt like they had edited something out.

SamJ93

« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2011, 12:55:26 PM »
I agree re: Pat Finn.

Some of my own:
-To continue with the theme of bad contestant interviews, I often find the interview portion of J! to be the most awkward, borderline unwatchable portion of the show.  Alex seems to go out of his way to be as aloof as possible, and it only seems to get worse each season.
-I never cared much for Chain Reaction in any of its incarnations.  It's just a boring game that doesn't seem to require much skill.  Oddly enough, I really enjoyed Go (which I'm probably in the majority on).
-Aaaaaand the big shocker...I never really understood what exactly made Johnny Olsen the greatest announcer of all time.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to him and he worked well on all the shows he did, but I just don't hear what sets him apart from, say, Johnny Gilbert or Gene Wood.
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Chief-O

« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
-Aaaaaand the big shocker...I never really understood what exactly made Johnny Olsen the greatest announcer of all time.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy listening to him and he worked well on all the shows he did, but I just don't hear what sets him apart from, say, Johnny Gilbert or Gene Wood.

I'd definitely say his distinct delivery style would be a major reason why. His warm-up routine would be another.

I've personally come to consider Gene Wood a sub-par announcer----but I'd bet he had a great warmup as well. [never seen him, never heard/seen any recordings, so I can't really judge on that]

[quote name='same post']I agree re: Pat Finn.[/quote]

I personally didn't care for some of his excitement levels on STYD; other than that, I can't see anything else wrong with him. I think most of the flak he gets comes from TJW90: The whole "first definition.........last definition....." routine comes to mind. Then again, I'm sure Cullen or Martindale or Kennedy would've sounded like a robot if they had to say that several times per show...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:32:14 PM by Chief-O »
.....and it goes like this!!!

vexer6

« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
I really enjoyed "Duel", it was an inspired combination of Millionare and "World Series Of Poker" Too ABC pretty much killed the show by giving it the friday-night-slot-of-death against TPIR $100,000,000 Spectacular.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2011, 02:07:17 PM »
I really enjoyed "Duel", it was an inspired combination of Millionare and "World Series Of Poker"
Other than the fact that the contestants were handed a stack of chips and that they beat the hell out of that drum in the promos 'cuz poker shows were Teh Current Hotness and any excuse to draw parallels was going to be taken, I utterly fail to see where Duel had much if anything to do with poker.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

vexer6

« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
I really enjoyed "Duel", it was an inspired combination of Millionare and "World Series Of Poker"
Other than the fact that the contestants were handed a stack of chips and that they beat the hell out of that drum in the promos 'cuz poker shows were Teh Current Hotness and any excuse to draw parallels was going to be taken, I utterly fail to see where Duel had much if anything to do with poker.
Well the show's official website called it a cross between Poker and Millionare, so take that how you will.

vexer6

« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
I like Drew Carey on TPIR then Bob Barker, partly because I have a hard time mustering up any sort of respect for Barker after all the crap he's done to his employees and whatnot.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
Well the show's official website called it a cross between Poker and Millionare, so take that how you will.
Just because they did doesn't mean you do.
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2011, 03:13:42 PM »
You will note in my post that I took it as the promotions people at ABC being full of what makes the grass grow green. And yet you just declared it to be "inspired," so clearly you agree with the assessment. So I'm inviting you to explain to me why you agree with it in the fervent hope that you will be able to give me some sort of answer other than "because ABC told me to," because frankly the idea that a sentient being is willing to go with that logic makes my head throb.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2011, 03:13:53 PM »
Just because they did doesn't mean you do.
I'm remembering here how Hit Man compared itself to a videogame.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2011, 03:19:14 PM »
I'm remembering here how Hit Man compared itself to a videogame.
While an equally inept comparison, at least Hit Man was going for something remotely resembling the *look* of a videogame. Near as I can tell, the lone parallels between Duel and poker were "there are chips" and "a contestant can "bluff", and by "bluff" we mean "try to look confused in order to smoke a Press out of their opponent," not that we're going to cast anyone savvy enough to pick up on that."