Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Are the GSN boards worthwhile?  (Read 26090 times)

Matt Ottinger

Are the GSN boards worthwhile?
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2003, 10:50:06 AM »
Well, this started out as a pretty interesting and legitimate thread about the differences between our boards and the GSN boards in general.  This Ken fellow ended up being used as a specific example and yeah, in retrospect, that probably was getting a little too personal.  So let's go easy on naming names, OK gang?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ChuckNet

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2003, 11:24:24 AM »
All three of these people are members of this board, and, AFAIK, members in good standing. He flat out states that he can't take a criticism, which is pretty sad for a 26 year old.

Yeah...I think the phrase "Don't dish it out if you can't take it" fits in quite nicely here.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2003, 01:38:59 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Nov 24 2003, 11:24 AM\']
All three of these people are members of this board, and, AFAIK, members in good standing. He flat out states that he can't take a criticism, which is pretty sad for a 26 year old.

Yeah...I think the phrase "Don't dish it out if you can't take it" fits in quite nicely here.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 As a final addendum:  
The user discussed has since been banned from GSN.

But don't waste your time.  When you see a thread titled "Pokemon Russian Roulette"; its just not worth it.

(Yet, why do I go back?)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chuckwooleryfan

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2003, 10:49:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Dec 1 2003, 01:38 PM\'] But don't waste your time.  When you see a thread titled "Pokemon Russian Roulette"; its just not worth it.

(Yet, why do I go back?) [/quote]
 A most excellent question. I have the same problem, even though I have cut back on posting there in recent times.

It must be the weather there...

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2005, 05:11:21 AM »
As a followup, about 2 years later....things seem to be declining overall.  One of most respected members here was called a "troll" by the moderator, and summarily banned.  That member can identify him/herself if they choose to do so.

I'm glad we have this board...where "moron insurance" isn't offered.  Thanks, Chris, Matt, and Dave. (Oh, and wouldn't that be a neat rock group too?)
--Mark

dzinkin

« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2005, 07:17:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 05:11 AM\']As a followup, about 2 years later....things seem to be declining overall.  One of most respected members here was called a "troll" by the moderator, and summarily banned.  That member can identify him/herself if they choose to do so.
[snapback]92850[/snapback]
[/quote]
You neglected to mention that stalking is now openly permitted on the GSN board.  Two members of our group tried to tell the poster that it might not be a good idea to post that sort of thing.  Both were reprimanded and their posts were deleted, while the stalking was allowed to continue.

And no, this isn't my way of saying "nyah nyah nyah our board is best."  There are other game show sites that are worthwhile (hi Marc and John!); it's just sad, though (for several reasons) not surprising, to see what's happened on that particular one.

I'm glad we have this board...where "moron insurance" isn't offered.  Thanks, Chris, Matt, and Dave. (Oh, and wouldn't that be a neat rock group too?)
Thanks, Mark, but those few members of this group who have heard me sing can attest to the fact that a rock group really isn't my place. :-)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 07:21:35 AM by dzinkin »

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2005, 08:21:20 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 06:17 AM\']You neglected to mention that stalking [/quote]
I only skimmed it, and it looked scary as hell.  If I was Geoff, I'd ask for an immediate restraining order.
--Mark

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2005, 11:25:44 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 08:21 AM\'][quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 06:17 AM\']You neglected to mention that stalking [/quote]
I only skimmed it, and it looked scary as hell.  If I was Geoff, I'd ask for an immediate restraining order.
[snapback]92857[/snapback]
[/quote]

Not only is that scary as hell...but this person doesn't even have any talent.  She can't even write a freakin' sentence properly.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2005, 12:16:43 PM »
Another thing:
GSN recently opened up a store featuring GSN branded, and GSN related merchandise.  If they don't have what you're looking for, you can Submit an Idea .  However, I see problems with this already.  There's no disclaimer or anything attached to this form.  If I saw one of my ideas being used following submission, I'd fully expect to be compensated for them.

Just one more example of how sloppy GSN's website is.
--Mark

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2005, 12:23:48 PM »
I've only made 110-something odd posts in the last 2 years (and 3000+ in 3 years on the GSN boards), and while being here, I can say that this group is more organized and intelligent than the GSN boards. Even though I am a member of both boards, I can say that both boards have amounts of intelligent and insightful posts, GSN tends to have stalkers, trolls, and more idealist views. Now keep in mind, being an idealist isn't bad at all, but what separates this board from the GSN board is that this is more realistic and has much more substance in style.

And besides, who wouldn't want to read the witty banter that goes along here? A great laugh always happens every day here.

This board practically one-ups the GSN boards, but there's as much more [weirder] "stuff" on there as well.
-Dave

CarbonCpy

« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
I will respond with the same words I used a couple of days ago when someone passed me a link to a GSN thread:  Game Show Fan Fiction.   There's a subforum dedicated to game show fan fiction.  Because there's such demand to know how each individual author would imagine Chalupa from Sailor Trigun: Neon Genesis Dragonball Pantsu would handle being teamed up with his rival Gokugeeta Bu for a rousing game of The Magnificent Marble Machine / Bullseye Three-Quarter-Hour that it merited its own sub-forum.

I'm absolutely dumbfounded as to why such a demand exists, but I've got a running bet with another GSB member that massive head trauma comes into play somewhere along the line.

[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Nov 23 2003, 01:16 PM\']Incidentally, the moderator told me that she read this thread on the board and is "slightly disheartened" that we refered to her as a babysitter.
[snapback]17343[/snapback]
[/quote]

Wait, wait, lemme find where I put it.  

...And wouldn'cha know it, I just used my last box of sympathy yesterday.  Maybe if she exercised some muscle in her moderating instead of, say, acting as host to a friggin' postcount party, I might understand her plight.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 12:36:15 PM by CarbonCpy »

dzinkin

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2005, 12:40:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 12:16 PM\']Another thing:
GSN recently opened up a store featuring GSN branded, and GSN related merchandise.  If they don't have what you're looking for, you can Submit an Idea .  However, I see problems with this already.  There's no disclaimer or anything attached to this form.  If I saw one of my ideas being used following submission, I'd fully expect to be compensated for them.
[snapback]92872[/snapback]
[/quote]
In fairness, there is a disclaimer here that appears to cover any submissions.  An excerpt:

If, at our request, you send or post certain specific submissions (e.g., via a message boards or contests) or, despite our request that you not send us any other creative materials, you send us creative suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, concepts, or other information (collectively, the "Submissions"), the Submissions shall be deemed, and shall remain, the property of GSN.
Technically the page in question isn't at gsn.com, but one would think that somewhere in all of the legalese, GSN has covered itself with regard to its other sites as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 12:40:42 PM by dzinkin »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2005, 01:05:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 05:11 AM\']As a followup, about 2 years later....things seem to be declining overall.  One of most respected members here was called a "troll" by the moderator, and summarily banned.  That member can identify him/herself if they choose to do so.[/quote]It was me.  I'll give you guys a moment to pick up your lower jaw from the ground.

I took offense to the line the esteemed Mr. Zinkin has adopted as his sig and posted my thoughts on GSN's board.  Several hours later, I received a private message from a certain narrow-minded, dimwitted "angel" on that board, in which she called me a troll.  I told her what a troll was, how I wasn't a troll, and that she wouldn't know what a troll was if one bit her on the ass.  (Confronting a mod--always a proposition that never ends in the aggressor's favor.)  Then she threatened to remove my posting privileges.  I told her to go for it, as I saw GSN's board as a cesspool for stupidity, trolling (real trolling, not "OMG, Klauss supports posting opinions which don't agree with the moderators'!" trolling), and non-dissenting opinions.  I told this "angel" that there are numerous other boards full of intelligent discourse, specifically John Chartier's board.  Oops, Chartier's board is full of discharge. :-)  Don't revoke my membership, Dave.  You knew it was a jo...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 03:59:34 PM by hmtriplecrown »

Kevin Prather

« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2005, 03:11:33 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 10:05 AM\']I told her what a troll was, how I wasn't a troll, and that she wouldn't know what a troll was if one bit her on the ass...Then she threatened to remove my posting privileges.  I told her to go for it, as I saw GSN's board as a cesspool for stupidity, trolling...and non-dissenting opinions.[/quote]

*stands up and applauds*

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2005, 03:17:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Aug 1 2005, 08:25 AM\']Not only is that scary as hell...but this person doesn't even have any talent.  She can't even write a freakin' sentence properly.
[/quote]
Be careful. I have found that even acknowledging this poster's existence is a good way to receive several rambling emails claiming vehemently that said poster is NOT a looney, when in fact said emails only cement the theory further.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe