Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune gameplay elements  (Read 32069 times)

J.R.

Wheel of Fortune gameplay elements
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'245653\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 08:29 PM\']Wrong: FANTASIZING ABOUT VANNA WHITE would also fit.  :-p[/quote]
Paging Mark DeMorra... Paging Mark DeMorra... ;)
-Joe Raygor

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2010, 09:57:41 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'245624\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 06:58 AM\']'nuff said[/quote]This is perhaps the "best part" of his stance. That he doesn't bother to actually defend his position, but dismisses all other arguments with "nuff said."

[quote name=\'wdm1219inpenna\' post=\'245637\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 12:34 PM\']Another can of worms, another Pandora's box I have opened.  Calgon, take us away!!![/quote]Well, what did you expect? There's only so far you can take a thread of "list things that fit topic X" before people start talking about it. The whole exercise gives off an air of "Look! I'm contributing!"

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245638\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 01:07 PM\']Perhaps it's to offer contestants the chance to win more money, but I really don't need ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTRESS SANDRA BULLOCK when SANDRA BULLOCK will merely do.[/quote]A shorter puzzle will probably take longer because you have more people guessing wrong letters and letting the turn move along. A longer puzzle 1) allows more money to build up in the banks because 2) there are more letters on the board and 3) is shorter because you have fewer wrong guesses because of 2. If I'm a contestant, I want the longer puzzles because of the money and the chance to keep my turn that much longer, but as a viewer it borders on tedious as the contestants grope to fill in the adjectives that are paired with the actor or actress in the puzzle.

I think it's fair to say that the show has expanded in all these ways because of the attention span of its viewers.
I will sit through an awful lot. One of the things I will not do is sit through an advertisement that has been camouflaged as content. Do not come back from a break and tell me that the Jackpot Round is brought to me by Hot Pockets, because I will watch something else.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 10:00:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245656\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 09:57 PM\']Do not come back from a break and tell me that the Jackpot Round is brought to me by Hot Pockets, because I will watch something else.[/quote]I fail to see how this is any different than being welcomed to What's My Line, brought to us by Stopette - Poof! There goes perspiration.

wheelloon

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'245654\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 09:33 PM\'][quote name=\'Fedya\' post=\'245653\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 08:29 PM\']Wrong: FANTASIZING ABOUT VANNA WHITE would also fit.  :-p[/quote]
Paging Mark DeMorra... Paging Mark DeMorra... ;)
[/quote]

*Jerks Head up*
WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOWOWWOWOWWOWOWWWOW
*SPLOOGE*
*faints*

Then on a side note,  the fact this thread is 5 pages long makes my head spin... whether because of there being that many gimmicks done over the years or because it's delved into when one gimmick started then got canned, or some combination thereof... still... ugh :P

Considering the gimmickry... How does one say the game, itself, has gone off track/somewhat lost focus in GS speak?
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
I'd contend that Jeopardy could have a sizable thread, too.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'245661\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 07:24 PM\']I'd contend that Jeopardy could have a sizable thread, too.[/quote]
Which does not make it a good idea.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Thunder

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »
I seem to remember having a handheld Wheel of Fortune game which picked up some sort of signal (?) from the broadcast which loaded the current puzzle into the device so you could play along.

Anybody?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'245663\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 08:03 PM\']I seem to remember having a handheld Wheel of Fortune game which picked up some sort of signal (?) from the broadcast which loaded the current puzzle into the device so you could play along.

Anybody?[/quote]Yup, that existed. You could also key in your own puzzles, too.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'245663\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 08:03 PM\']I seem to remember having a handheld Wheel of Fortune game which picked up some sort of signal (?) from the broadcast which loaded the current puzzle into the device so you could play along.[/quote]
You probably did.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2010, 11:33:32 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'245664\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 11:10 PM\'][quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'245663\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 08:03 PM\']I seem to remember having a handheld Wheel of Fortune game which picked up some sort of signal (?) from the broadcast which loaded the current puzzle into the device so you could play along.
Anybody?[/quote]Yup, that existed. You could also key in your own puzzles, too.[/quote]
Surprisingly, one of the few home versions that allowed you to do that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:44 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245638\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 04:07 PM\']Even if he did bring up an old point for the umpteenth time, the puzzle-writing (as I've mentioned umpteen times) has had evolved (Devolved?) from simple to descriptive, to just gratuitous.[/quote]
And has also been mentioned umpteen times, the many Bonus Round puzzles that have either Unnecessary "A"/"AN" At The Beginning, Gratuitous Vowels, Words Randomly Grouped, or Gratuitous Obscure Letters. It gets annoying when you can tell they don't want the contestant to win -- and awesome when the contestant wins anyway.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'245638\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 04:07 PM\']Also, the number of theme weeks has increased to where it almost seems to be every week. I know some date back to the early-90s (Couples Week, My Favorite Teacher), but some have gotten kinda silly (Pet Lovers Week?).[/quote]
Just be glad they haven't seen this post. Be very, very glad. ;)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:12:27 AM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Thunder\' post=\'245663\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 10:03 PM\']I seem to remember having a handheld Wheel of Fortune game which picked up some sort of signal (?) from the broadcast which loaded the current puzzle into the device so you could play along.

Anybody?[/quote]
I still own mine, in fact...which is an incredible feat when you consider that, going by the dates on the bottom of the unit I was all of four years old at the time.  

I brought it with me when the Wheelmobile came around to the suburbs a couple years ago.  Setting up puzzles and letting the people around me play was a great way to kill time and meet people instead of sitting around like a bump on a log all day.

They also made some 'puzzle packs' for it...VHS tapes loaded with puzzles that you could point the unit at and play that way.  Found one at a Salvation Army a few months back for 50 cents.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:24:22 AM by Mr. Armadillo »

toetyper

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2010, 09:33:29 AM »
I always  wondered how the heck those things  worked

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
I have mine somewhere but, as with it seems most things mentioned here, it's in a box after last summer's move.

[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'245676\' date=\'Aug 10 2010, 09:23 AM\']They also made some 'puzzle packs' for it...VHS tapes loaded with puzzles that you could point the unit at and play that way.  Found one at a Salvation Army a few months back for 50 cents.[/quote]
When GSN reran eps. from the late 80s/early 90s, the signal for the game remained intact.  It was fun getting some bang for the 15-year-old buck.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2010, 11:02:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'245668\' date=\'Aug 9 2010, 09:02 PM\']It gets annoying when you can tell they don't want the contestant to win -- and awesome when the contestant "Fries the Friedman".[/quote]They do what now?
Travis L. Eberle