Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I guess nobody here reads Esquire magazine  (Read 13484 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
I guess nobody here reads Esquire magazine
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'243903\' date=\'Jul 10 2010, 07:06 PM\']Ted later points out that "nobody ever needs a three-digit PIN."[/quote]Funny that.  My PIN for the time clock at work is three digits.

How I think Terry would do in a tournament of champions...

[quote name=\'dazztardly\']and flat out disrespectful to the show.[/quote] Get off your high horse.  The show permitted this kind of crap to exist for years with their "Loyal Friend and True" crap.  They're equal to blame for allowing people like Ted access to the studio.  It might have sullied the play of the game, but it was completely legitimate under the show's rules.  I didn't and still don't like it, but that doesn't change the fact that nothing improper was done.  The simple solution, IMO is to bar Ted from making any further appearances at Studio 33.

Now, back to stirring the baked beans.  Barbecue today.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:07:16 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243929\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 09:38 AM\']No thanks. What happened with Terry Kneiss and Ted Slauson was sad. It was a disservice to the other people competing, and flat out disrespectful to the show.[/quote]
I agree and disagree to an extent. IMO, the show set itself up for this by offering the same stuff over and over, and they're finally learning that. I'm sure they were aware of the G-R site (and this one too) for quite some time, but probably didn't expect there to be people memorizing prizes, ready to pull a Charlie Babbitt any moment. So in a way, they should've seen this coming, but probably knew it wasn't really worth the effort, which I can understand.

But honestly, had Terry pulled off the win then shut up about it, I would've been cool, ditto for Ted. I see it like counting cards or even pulling a Larsen in that it's not illegal, but it could be a lot more impressive if you think it's all luck and not someone finding a flaw in the system. I also agree with Chad that this guy is just hitting the snooze button to keep his 15 minutes going.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243936\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 10:02 AM\']But honestly, had Terry pulled off the win then shut up about it, I would've been cool, ditto for Ted.[/quote]And no one suspects collusion, and life goes on. It was only a disservice and disrespectful once the jig was up.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 01:52:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'243937\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 10:37 AM\']And no one suspects collusion, and life goes on. It was only a disservice and disrespectful once the jig was up.[/quote]
I wouldn't even apply those words then. There was nothing "wrong" with what happened. The mass majority of the douchebaggery happened when Ted started bragging about it, and amplified when this Terry fellow started insisting that Ted had nothing to do with it.

But "disservice" and "disrespectful"? I'm with Mark there: If one thinks that, one should get off their high horse.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243936\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 01:02 PM\']I agree and disagree to an extent. IMO, the show set itself up for this by offering the same stuff over and over, and they're finally learning that. I'm sure they were aware of the G-R site (and this one too) for quite some time, but probably didn't expect there to be people memorizing prizes, ready to pull a Charlie Babbitt any moment. So in a way, they should've seen this coming, but probably knew it wasn't really worth the effort, which I can understand.[/quote]
Actually, Roger was fully aware that this kind of thing was going on and even had an idea of who was doing it.  He really didn't care as long as the budget was under control...if it wasn't, he'd take that person aside in the line and tell them, "I need you not to help today."

J.R.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 02:40:13 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243929\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 08:38 AM\']No thanks. What happened with Terry Kneiss and Ted Slauson was sad. It was a disservice to the other people competing, and flat out disrespectful to the show.[/quote]
With all due respect, this is a GAME SHOW, not a holy temple. There was no crime against humanity committed here.

Some people take this TPIR stuff way too personally/seriously.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 02:40:38 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

dazztardly

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 03:08:19 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'243942\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 01:40 PM\'][quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243929\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 08:38 AM\']No thanks. What happened with Terry Kneiss and Ted Slauson was sad. It was a disservice to the other people competing, and flat out disrespectful to the show.[/quote]
With all due respect, this is a GAME SHOW, not a holy temple. There was no crime against humanity committed here.

Some people take this TPIR stuff way too personally/seriously.
[/quote]

When I said "the show", that goes towards the company. There's alot of hard work that goes into putting a show together. YES I agree, it's not a crime. However working in this industry it's paychecks and jobs on the line.

It's amazing how some of you armchair quarterbacks continue to act like pit bulls, when a piece of meat falls to the ground.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243944\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 12:08 PM\']It's amazing how some of you armchair quarterbacks continue to act like pit bulls, when a piece of meat falls to the ground.[/quote]Mixed Metaphors for $20, please, Art.
Travis L. Eberle

J.R.

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 03:23:31 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243944\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 02:08 PM\']It's amazing how some of you armchair quarterbacks continue to act like pit bulls, when a piece of meat falls to the ground.[/quote]
But enough about JaMarcus Russell...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 03:24:28 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 04:31:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'243940\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 02:12 PM\']Actually, Roger was fully aware that this kind of thing was going on and even had an idea of who was doing it.  He really didn't care as long as the budget was under control...if it wasn't, he'd take that person aside in the line and tell them, "I need you not to help today."[/quote]
I'd never heard that specific thing before, but it makes sense as part of Roger's genius, and why the LFAT adored him.  When The Dob himself comes up to you personally and tells you you're too good at the game and it would be a personal favor to him if you laid low today...I mean, what higher praise could there be?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
[quote name=\'dazztardly\' post=\'243944\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 03:08 PM\']When I said "the show", that goes towards the company. There's alot of hard work that goes into putting a show together. YES I agree, it's not a crime. However working in this industry it's paychecks and jobs on the line.

It's amazing how some of you armchair quarterbacks continue to act like pit bulls, when a piece of meat falls to the ground.[/quote]

If there is concern about people winning prizes on a game show, perhaps someone needs to seriously re-evaluate the show being produced.

The goal of a contestant on The Price is Right is to guess prices correctly.  No one is going to lose their job if someone does.

That being said, I picked up Esquire today and this article is fascinating.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:40:04 PM by ClockGameJohn »

tvmitch

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
It's important to know that everyone's quick-draw opinion of "15 minutes of fame" here isn't valid. I doubt that the author wrote this article because Terry came to him and said "hey, I have an interesting story to tell you, oh writer from Esquire." Mr. Jones sought him out, almost certainly, and he was happy to retell the story.

Going to Costco tomorrow, will check the racks to see if it's there. I love this kind of behind-the-scenes stuff.
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 02:43:08 AM »
[quote name=\'tvmitch\' post=\'243956\' date=\'Jul 11 2010, 05:46 PM\']It's important to know that everyone's quick-draw opinion of "15 minutes of fame" here isn't valid. I doubt that the author wrote this article because Terry came to him and said "hey, I have an interesting story to tell you, oh writer from Esquire." Mr. Jones sought him out, almost certainly, and he was happy to retell the story.[/quote]
A) you don't know that, and until you do, for certain, then and only then do you get to tell me that my opinion is invalid, and b) as you said, he was happy to retell the story, and it's still the same outright lie he's been telling from Day One.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2010, 03:24:36 AM »
he'd take that person aside in the line and tell them, "I need you not to help today."
Or slip him a twenty, tell him to go buy himself a sandwich at Canter's and never set foot on the TPIR set again.

/Can you still get a sandwich at Canter's for $20? That place is so overpriced and the food is not that great.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 08:33:55 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'243971\' date=\'Jul 12 2010, 03:24 AM\']Or slip him a twenty, tell him to go buy himself a sandwich at Canter's and never set foot on the TPIR set again.[/quote]
Or not.