Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...  (Read 56113 times)

Jimmy Owen

New "Pyramid" Pilot Tape Date Now Set...
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:56 AM »
Not very encouraging report from the Junket.  Richter "often not realizing what to say next"?????  Are the words displayed on monitors in the front game, or how? No pyramid on-set? "The Winner's Circle" actually a square?  If I'm reading it correctly the players sit during the end game.  Why?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:34:40 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »
Something hit me last nite in regards to the different set...

All throughout spring 2009 leading up to that summer, Pyramid was the favorite and shoo-in to replace Guiding Light. The pilot's set was very reminiscent of the 80s one, and was nicely modernized. Enter LMaD, the dark horse, if you would.

There's been quite a few complaints (mainly on Buzzerblog), already dismissing the show because there's no pyramid-shaped backdrops. I just wish people would unbunch their panties keep in mind that this is a pilot, and we have no clue what Embassy Row has in mind should the show get picked up. Honestly, after getting passed over once, if I'm Michael Davies, I'm not going to commission an elaborate recreation until CBS gives me the greenlight, and not a moment sooner.

BTW, should the show get the go-ahead and they still don't use pyramid shapes, BFD. People are making too much of a fuss over the aspects that have no effect on the gameplay. With the exception of a fairly strategic addition, it's Classic Pyramid (read: not the 1996-97 pilots), and folks are still complaining.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
Pyramid without a pyramid is merely Philbin Password with more clue words.  If CBS wasn't happy with that show's performance, why would they green light a copy?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:08:23 AM by Jimmy Owen »

JakeT

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243076\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM\']Something hit me last nite in regards to the different set...

<snippity snip>

BTW, should the show get the go-ahead and they still don't use pyramid shapes, BFD. People are making too much of a fuss over the aspects that have no effect on the gameplay. With the exception of a fairly strategic addition, it's Classic Pyramid (read: not the 1996-97 pilots), and folks are still complaining.[/quote]

Just for clarification, I just happen to personally prefer my panties to be all in a bunch so that my junk thinks it is getting a constant embrace...that being said...

I really don't have any major issues regarding the set design and such...however, since the original creator/producer of this particular format did make a point to utilize a very specific geometric figure/structure as the focus and/or centerpiece of the game, it just seems odd to me that the people producing the upcoming version would choose not to include a clearly iconic part of the game.

And maybe I'm stupid, but if you don't use pyramid shapes, why the hell call it "PYRAMID"???  The title never made any reference to any aspect of the game play...well, that is, except for the end game being played on a giant PYRAMID-shaped game board.  I mean, if you forego the pyramid shapes and such, why not just call it "THE $25,000 YEAST INFECTION" or something else that might assist in snagging a major sponsor to help defray costs...I can just hear it now...

"FROM TELEVISION CITY IN HOLLYWOOD...

VAGASIL PRESENTS...THE $25,000 YEAST INFECTION"...

TODAY'S CELEBRITIES INCLUDE SARAH PALIN & THE CORPSE OF CLARA PELLER

YOUR HOST IS ANDY RICHTER!!!""

Uhhhhh...I'd watch it probably...

<Why do they let me near the PC this early on the weekends?  They know it always leads to trouble>

Jake
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 10:20:50 AM by JakeT »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Well, I was thinking of adding a money ladder instead of a pyramid and calling it "The Richter Scale."  I think sometimes we're so hungry for a game show that we will embrace changes and concepts that Joe and Jane Sixpack will question and reject from the start.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 11:16:09 AM by Jimmy Owen »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'243080\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 07:15 AM\']the original creator/producer of this particular format did make a point to utilize a very specific geometric figure/structure as the focus and/or centerpiece of the game[/quote]
...and then turned it into a trapezoid.
And maybe I'm stupid, but if you don't use pyramid shapes, why the hell call it "PYRAMID"???
Because the format centered around verbal charades followed by an endgame where you give a list of items in a subject in an effort to get your partner to guess that subject is known to most people as "Pyramid." When you've been on television on and off for almost 40 years you get to do that. Why the hell do they call it "The Tonight Show" when it ends tomorrow?

(Besides, as long as the items on the Winner's Circle board are arranged in the shape of a triangle, there's your Pyramid.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

JakeT

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2010, 03:16:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'243087\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 12:56 PM\']Because the format centered around verbal charades followed by an endgame where you give a list of items in a subject in an effort to get your partner to guess that subject is known to most people as "Pyramid."[/quote]
I only wish that I had as much faith in the average typical daytime television viewer as you must have 'cause I honestly have my doubts that even the slightest fraction of people, when asked what they know/remember about the past incarnations of "Pyramid", would ever mention "verbal charades" and such...I would bet you that the vast majority would immediately recall the big "pyramid-esque/triangular/trapezoidal" shaped (WHAT...everrrrr) board & the Winners Circle...oh, yeah, and probably that damned cookoo...

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'243087\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 12:56 PM\']When you've been on television on and off for almost 40 years you get to do that. Why the hell do they call it "The Tonight Show" when it ends tomorrow?[/quote]
Clearly a statement made by someone who forgets that not everyone lives on either the coasts...those viewers in the Central & Mountain time zones view "The Tonight Show" from start to finish on the very same calendar day.

Yeah, I know...they don't matter...just a bunch of toothless hicks...hyuk hyuk hyuk...

Jake

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'243089\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 03:16 PM\']Yeah, I know...they don't matter...just a bunch of toothless hicks...hyuk hyuk hyuk...[/quote]
Maybe you should've stuck to lurking.

I think sometimes we're so hungry for a game show that we will embrace changes and concepts that Joe and Jane Sixpack will question and reject from the start.
If Dan Benfield represents Joe and Jane Sixpack, I'm moving to Japan.  I would think that we're the ones that question everything that the regular folk wouldn't mind.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:25:33 PM by Joe Mello »
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'243089\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 12:16 PM\']I only wish that I had as much faith in the average typical daytime television viewer as you must have[/quote]
Rest assured, I don't.
'cause I honestly have my doubts that even the slightest fraction of people, when asked what they know/remember about the past incarnations of "Pyramid", would ever mention "verbal charades"
I do too. Big words like "charades" tend to confuse people.

But I bet you they understand the basic concept of "describing something to your partner using a bunch of words."
I would bet you that the vast majority would immediately recall the big "pyramid-esque/triangular/trapezoidal" shaped (WHAT...everrrrr) board & the Winners Circle
...which is still there. So what's the problem?

(Mind you, "what...everrrrrrr" shows me you're not interested in rational discussion, here, so don't sweat it. I'm certainly not. Smoochies! :))
Clearly a statement made by someone who forgets that not everyone lives on either the coasts...those viewers in the Central & Mountain time zones view "The Tonight Show" from start to finish on the very same calendar day.
Or who would challenge you to find one decision in television history that was made with the flyover states in mind at the expense of the coasts. Your argument is irrelevant.

Yeah, I know...they don't matter...just a bunch of toothless hicks...hyuk hyuk hyuk...
Hey, you said it, not me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'243089\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 03:16 PM\']I only wish that I had as much faith in the average typical daytime television viewer as you must have 'cause I honestly have my doubts that even the slightest fraction of people, when asked what they know/remember about the past incarnations of "Pyramid", would ever mention "verbal charades" and such...I would bet you that the vast majority would immediately recall the big "pyramid-esque/triangular/trapezoidal" shaped (WHAT...everrrrr) board & the Winners Circle...oh, yeah, and probably that damned cookoo...[/quote]
I understand that, and all one has to do is watch the GSN reruns for proof of that. But this goes back to the point I made earlier this morning. The show made an elaborate set last year and the show was rejected for Let's Make a Deal. This after everyone thought Pyramid was going to be THE show for CBS. I can understand the idea of not doing the same thing two years in a row...

I just think it's a bit much to jump to conclusions that Michael Davies doesn't Get It because the pilot set doesn't have the big 20-30 foot pyramid at center stage, and a bunch of pyramid backdrops behind the host and contestants. By descriptions I read, the set sounds a little bare; just a bunch of projection screens wrapped in LED light strips.

I'd like to think that should CBS give the 2PM EST slot to New Pyramid, that Davies will realize that Words Have Meanings and put some pyramid-shaped backdrops on set, and make something a little closer to what was created last year.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

itiparanoid13

« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2010, 03:53:30 PM »
I'll just make a note that, as I was told, a large reason why Pyramid wasn't picked up was because they wanted a perfect companion show for The Price is Right.  The tone wasn't right.  They wanted something that fit Price perfectly, and it's hard to deny that Let's Make A Deal Deal fits the bill better than Pyramid.  Pyramid was slower moving and didn't have the party feel that they felt could fit with Deal.  

The only fear I had from the start was, due to pressure from the last time, somehow the tone goes into Price/Deal territory.  It didn't, the game works, so I'm cool.  I really don't care what it looks like.  I just had these horrible visions of the show going into party mode somehow due to just wanting to get a show sold.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 03:54:40 PM by itiparanoid13 »

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
Well nothing says "party" like a dark, jet black set with flashing lights.

For a disco, at least.

CJBojangles

« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Hollywood Junket\']Produced by some of the same people as “Million Dollar Password”, the set was very similar as well as the feel of the whole show.[/quote]
If "the feel" of the show is similar in that there's a boatload of editing accompanied by "tense" music throughout the whole show, I'll pass.

NickS

« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2010, 07:42:39 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'243101\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 06:15 PM\']Well nothing says "party" like a dark, jet black set with flashing lights.

For a disco, at least.[/quote]

I'm sorry, do you know if CBS is going for the same theme as Deal and Price?  I don't, so I'm not going to speculate.

I think if anyone that went for "over" on the collective butt-clenching about a show that - except for the people that saw the pilot - NOBODY has seen, collect your winnings.

GameShowGuru

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2010, 09:43:39 PM »
[quote name=\'JakeT\' post=\'243080\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 10:15 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'243076\' date=\'Jun 26 2010, 08:05 AM\']Something hit me last nite in regards to the different set...

<snippity snip>

BTW, should the show get the go-ahead and they still don't use pyramid shapes, BFD. People are making too much of a fuss over the aspects that have no effect on the gameplay. With the exception of a fairly strategic addition, it's Classic Pyramid (read: not the 1996-97 pilots), and folks are still complaining.[/quote]

Just for clarification, I just happen to personally prefer my panties to be all in a bunch so that my junk thinks it is getting a constant embrace...that being said...

I really don't have any major issues regarding the set design and such...however, since the original creator/producer of this particular format did make a point to utilize a very specific geometric figure/structure as the focus and/or centerpiece of the game, it just seems odd to me that the people producing the upcoming version would choose not to include a clearly iconic part of the game.

And maybe I'm stupid, but if you don't use pyramid shapes, why the hell call it "PYRAMID"???  The title never made any reference to any aspect of the game play...well, that is, except for the end game being played on a giant PYRAMID-shaped game board.  I mean, if you forego the pyramid shapes and such, why not just call it "THE $25,000 YEAST INFECTION" or something else that might assist in snagging a major sponsor to help defray costs...

Jake
[/quote]

Well, since we're getting all technical on shapes and whatnot, should "Classic Pyramid" (1973-92) technically be called "The $(X)XX,000  TRAPEZOID"?  After all, a pyramid is a 3-dimensional triangle, a triangle having three sides.  But all the Pyramid logos and set designs allude to more of a trapezoidal shape, which has four sides.

/Getting a "Professor Wilson Renfrew from the Richard Pryor movie Bustin' Loose" flashback: "A pyramid is derived from the triangle, which has three sides.  BUT DEE TRAPAZAWID HAS FOUR SIDES, and it is that fourth side, that makes it JEE-O-METRIC-LEE AND MA-THE-MA-TIC-LEE THEE EN-RICH-MUNT for all profits which you can make here."

Sorry everyone, I got a little carried away in the whole shapes argument.  Then again, maybe Jim Ryan knew what he was doing when he made the Pyramid set trapezoidal.