Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune rule change?  (Read 7803 times)

CliffColeclough

Wheel of Fortune rule change?
« on: November 14, 2003, 08:57:53 AM »
It's been quite some time since I've watched Wheel.  But after seeing Mondays 4000th episode - I made a bit more effort to watch it this week.

Last night during one of the games - Pat told the duo contestants after buying a second vowel - that there were no more vowels in the puzzle.  That kind of threw me off.  I had never heard Pat tell contestants before that there were no vowels left.  Of course, I know the sound beeps when there are ONLY vowels left - but being told there are no vowels left - even though you could still buy some - is that something new?

Thanks.

zachhoran

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 09:07:15 AM »
[quote name=\'CliffColeclough\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 08:57 AM\'] Of course, I know the sound beeps when there are ONLY vowels left - but being told there are no vowels left - even though you could still buy some - is that something new?

Thanks. [/quote]
 It's been the case for the last 20 or so years at least that the players are told there are no more vowels in the puzzle when all vowels in the puzzle are bought.

CliffColeclough

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 10:40:54 AM »
So if the puzzle only contains A's and E's and both those have been bought - they will be told - so that there will be no need to have someone try and buy I's O's or U's???

Wow - maybe I've never paid that close attention before.

Thanks for the info!

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 10:58:46 AM »
[quote name=\'CliffColeclough\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 10:40 AM\'] So if the puzzle only contains A's and E's and both those have been bought - they will be told - so that there will be no need to have someone try and buy I's O's or U's???

Thanks for the info! [/quote]
 'Tis true. Maybe back in the Woolery days they didn't tell contestants if all vowels in the puzzle were shown or not, but in the modern era of the show that has been the case.

I'm not sure this scenario ever came up or not, but here goes: WOuld they tell the players all the vowels in the puzzle are shown in a Speed Up round in the unlikely event the players would guess all vowels in the puzzle before it is solved?

Speedy G

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 11:51:17 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 10:58 AM\']I'm not sure this scenario ever came up or not, but here goes: WOuld they tell the players all the vowels in the puzzle are shown in a Speed Up round in the unlikely event the players would guess all vowels in the puzzle before it is solved?[/quote]
Yes, I do believe so.  If I remember correctly from a semi-recent episode, "...that's it for vowels, you have three seconds once Vanna is out of the way..."

At least that's for Sajak.  I have no idea about Woolery.
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Jay Temple

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 12:27:03 PM »
As far as I'm aware, it has always been this way.  It just doesn't happen very often.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Gus

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 10:23:52 PM »
Are these topics numbered sequentially? If that's the case, then this is the 2000th topic. Would this be cause for celebration, or should we wait for a higher number? ;-)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 10:28:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 10:23 PM\'] Are these topics numbered sequentially? If that's the case, then this is the 2000th topic. Would this be cause for celebration, or should we wait for a higher number? ;-) [/quote]
 Are you including the topics from EzBoard (the Chuck Woolery of discussion boards) or just the ones on Invision (the Pat Sajak of boards)?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 10:43:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 11:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 10:23 PM\'] Are these topics numbered sequentially? If that's the case, then this is the 2000th topic. Would this be cause for celebration, or should we wait for a higher number? ;-) [/quote]
Are you including the topics from EzBoard (the Chuck Woolery of discussion boards) or just the ones on Invision (the Pat Sajak of boards)? [/quote]
 That would make ATGS the Edd Byrnes, no? ;-)

HSquares2003

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 12:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'CliffColeclough\' date=\'Nov 14 2003, 10:40 AM\'] So if the puzzle only contains A's and E's and both those have been bought - they will be told - so that there will be no need to have someone try and buy I's O's or U's???

Thanks for the info! [/quote]
 IIRC, the one player version on wheeloffortune.com does not stop you from buying vowels(even if the others aren't in the puzzle) and same for the Vision version on Sprint PCS. That doesn't make sense that the programmers didn't follow suit with the tv show.

Argh!

Steve McClellan

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 02:30:04 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 09:52 AM\'] IIRC, the one player version on wheeloffortune.com does not stop you from buying vowels(even if the others aren't in the puzzle) [/quote]
 Actually it does. The announcement is even accompanied by the "vowels only" sound effect from the show.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 03:10:34 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 02:30 PM\'] [quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 09:52 AM\'] IIRC, the one player version on wheeloffortune.com does not stop you from buying vowels(even if the others aren't in the puzzle) [/quote]
Actually it does. The announcement is even accompanied by the "vowels only" sound effect from the show. [/quote]
 Well, that must be terribly confusing, as the "vowels only" sound indicates that there are only vowels left, while one would want to stop buying vowels when there are only consonants left.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin