Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WWTBAM question  (Read 2685 times)

toetyper

WWTBAM question
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:25:47 PM »
was john carpenter the first contestant to SEE  a million  dollar  question ?

BrandonFG

WWTBAM question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:29:46 PM »
[quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'242590\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 09:25 PM\']was john carpenter the first contestant to SEE  a million  dollar  question ?[/quote]
Michael Shutterly during the first two-week run. Assuming you just saw the CBS special, Jeff Probst said that Carpenter was the first to go for it, as in make a guess. Shutterly walked.

FWIW, I found the list to have some good moments, then some completely questionable ones, i.e. the first Million Dollar Win on D/ND. There was not a damn thing surprising about that win, since a) the board was inflated with 5 $1M cases, and b) the show told us before and after Every SINGLE commercial break that a big moment was about to happen. I think Helen Keller knew that Jessica was going to win the money.

/Too soon?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:32:57 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Kevin Prather

WWTBAM question
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242591\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 06:29 PM\'][quote name=\'toetyper\' post=\'242590\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 09:25 PM\']was john carpenter the first contestant to SEE  a million  dollar  question ?[/quote]
Michael Shutterly during the first two-week run. Assuming you just saw the CBS special, Jeff Probst said that Carpenter was the first to go for it, as in make a guess. Shutterly walked.
[/quote]
FWIW, Davies erroneously said in at least one interview that Carpenter's MDQ was the first one seen.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
WWTBAM question
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:18:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'242592\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 06:36 PM\']FWIW, Davies erroneously said in at least one interview that Carpenter's MDQ was the first one seen.[/quote]Had anyone overseas won 500,000 coin of the realm yet?
Travis L. Eberle

Kevin Prather

WWTBAM question
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 04:47:58 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'242617\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 10:18 PM\'][quote name=\'Kevin Prather\' post=\'242592\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 06:36 PM\']FWIW, Davies erroneously said in at least one interview that Carpenter's MDQ was the first one seen.[/quote]Had anyone overseas won 500,000 coin of the realm yet?
[/quote]
Peter Lee was the first to reach the MPQ, but that didn't happen til early 2000.

Mr. Armadillo

WWTBAM question
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:54 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242591\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 08:29 PM\']There was not a damn thing surprising about that win, since a) the board was inflated with 5 $1M cases,[/quote]
The board had been inflated with a lot more than 5 'Big Daddies' before that, yet it still hadn't been claimed.  That in and of itself didn't mean anything.

Honestly, I think a bigger surprise was seeing The Price is Right, of all things, give away the million three times before DoND did.

/I take that back.  M*A*S*H only at #17 is a bigger surpise than any of the surprises they actually covered
//Pretty sure it should be ahead of Hell's Kitchen, at least

Matt Ottinger

WWTBAM question
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:51:27 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'242591\' date=\'Jun 16 2010, 09:29 PM\']FWIW, I found the list to have some good moments, then some completely questionable ones, i.e. the first Million Dollar Win on D/ND. There was not a damn thing surprising about that win, since a) the board was inflated with 5 $1M cases, and b) the show told us before and after.[/quote]
As I said elsewhere, even by the low, low standards of these "make a list" kind of specials, this one was particularly stupid.  Several of their "surprising" moments (Bill Clinton on Arsenio, Ellen's sitcom character coming out, Tina Fey playing Palin) were heavily promoted in advance.  The rankings were absurd as well.  A character that had been rumored to die...dies.  And this is #2?  

They kept mumbling something about a 'viewer survey', but I question the methodology, especially since some obvious viewer favorites (Carol Burnett's entrance in her Gone With the Wind spoof) weren't included at all.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

colonial

WWTBAM question
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 11:01:53 AM »
Didn't see the special in question, but an Examiner story on it mentioned that it was "voted by viewers based on a Nielsen Entertainment Survey."  Similar TV specials tend to skew very young and recent (remember a similar CBS special from a few years back that searched for "America's Greatest Sitcom," and the winner was "Home Improvement"), so take the results with a grain of salt.

Either that, or Mark Harmon has one heck of a fan club.  Or Pam Dawber has so little to do these days she spent the last month survey voting :)

JD

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
WWTBAM question
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:16:02 PM »
There was not a damn thing surprising about that win, since a) the board was inflated with 5 $1M cases,
The board had been inflated with a lot more than 5 'Big Daddies' before that, yet it still hadn't been claimed. That in and of itself didn't mean anything.
I thought it was funny that the show still failed to give it away with thirteen $1,000,000 cases on the board. And after that blew up in their face, Deal decided to...give up for a while.

Assuming you just saw the CBS special, Jeff Probst said that Carpenter was the first to go for it, as in make a guess. Shutterly walked.
I totally forgot about the special and its name (TV's Greatest Surprises, which I found on CBS' website) but, while I did want to see it, a Google search turned up the whole list...and it's pretty boring. TV's all-time "Greatest Surprise" is Oprah giving away 276 Pontiacs so General Motors can pimp a new design out of the goodness of her heart? Seriously?

/surprisingly, Yolanda was absent
//why doesn't Paley Center do a special on rare television moments?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 09:18:53 PM by Dan88 »
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
WWTBAM question
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:44:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan88\' post=\'242659\' date=\'Jun 17 2010, 09:16 AM\']/Surprisingly Blessedly, Yolanda was absent.[/quote]
Fixed that for you.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 12:44:28 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

WWTBAM question
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 05:15:08 PM »
Assuming you just saw the CBS special

Wow...I didn't even know this special was going to be on.  I miss the days of the old TV Guide - today's newspaper supplements just aren't that good!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!