Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daytime Emmy nominations announced  (Read 10196 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Daytime Emmy nominations announced
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:31 PM »
when your Executive Producer knowingly puts a prize he can't afford in a game that is dependent on luck far more than the other car games
What was the prize, its price, and the game?

Any producer who sends a contestant to the Plinko board with just one chip and makes the audience boo Plinko has his head squarely up his arse. Want a TPIR clip to show at the Emmy ceremony? Show the audience booing Plinko! Combine that with the abject lack of creativity in the deals on his other show ("Do you want the cash or the curtain?") and he should be looking for another job, preferably in the aluminum siding industry (OMG I bashed Mikey!).

Wheel of Fortune insults my intelligence, my patience and my eardrums when I watch.
My eardrums feel the same way.

in the other shows, the contestants are cherry picked either for their age, looks or brains (not neccessarily for all 3)
Contestants have been cherry picked on just about every game show for decades. largely for appearance and personality. Just sayin'.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'240756\' date=\'May 12 2010, 06:40 PM\']Wayne Brady as Outstanding Emcee? I think not.[/quote]
Just because I'm curious, why not?
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 11:03:50 PM »
A $27500 restored 1966 Pontiac GTO was offered as the prize in Spelling Bee. Mike nearly finished the job when the contestant missed two of the three play-in items, but she got the last one, and her cards were R-A-C. Ta da.
Travis L. Eberle

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 11:13:10 PM »
Maybe David Shaw lost the ebay auction for the '66 GTO?

It's a JOKE, folks!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 10:13:51 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240765\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:05 PM\']The disco lights provide just enough chrome for what could be a pedestrian trivia game.[/quote]
It's freaking Cash Cab.  I'm pretty sure that it can't be a pedestrian anything by definition.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'240779\' date=\'May 12 2010, 10:03 PM\']
A $27500 restored 1966 Pontiac GTO was offered as the prize in Spelling Bee. Mike nearly finished the job when the contestant missed two of the three play-in items, but she got the last one, and her cards were R-A-C. Ta da.
[/quote]
Not to mention the cluster-you-know-what that went on in the studio when they tried to exercise damage control by 'cheapening' a showcase later in that taping.  Long story short, they spent over 45 minutes of studio time and destroyed most of Door #1's lightbulbs in an effort to save $10,000.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'240799\' date=\'May 13 2010, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240765\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:05 PM\']The disco lights provide just enough chrome for what could be a pedestrian trivia game.[/quote]
It's freaking Cash Cab.  I'm pretty sure that it can't be a pedestrian anything by definition.[/quote]
I think that the love Cash Cab gets from the Academy has much more to do with the production challenges of creating a game show that's played inside a taxi.  They're not really concerned that much with the game that's being played.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
they spent over 45 minutes of studio time and destroyed most of Door #1's lightbulbs in an effort to save $10,000.
Thus costing themselves more than $10,000 in studio time and repairs to the set in all likelihood. Priceless.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240765\' date=\'May 12 2010, 09:05 PM\']Nowadays, I don't know what I'll get at 11am. That can be a good thing at times...if I'm judging for Emmy-worthy material, I'm not so sure.

TPiR's outside-the-box thinking has gotten a couple of laughs out of me. However, if the production is still all over the place, I'm crossing it off my ballot list.[/quote]

I have to applaud you Brandon for bringing that rare-but-welcome TPIR opinion - that the show is still doing things right, while having room for improvement. There's a certain cluster of people almost too quick to praise the new show any time they do something different. Namely, if you were tired of Barker and/or the line-up of fans at G-R or something, then you're more likely to come on here and tell us how much you love their latest set or rule change, calling it an interesting breath of fresh air.

I can find fault and praise for both eras of the show. But if we're all watching the same thing, I'm frankly surprised at the reaction sometimes. I too appreciate the newness of it, but they've done some misguided things in the process. I think it might be interesting (perhaps elsewhere, so not to derail this thread) to see some of the people who champion either side share their dislike for the show they favor, and give praise to the era they don't. (In my case, I'd say the prizes were almost embarrassingly stagnant in the Barker years, and I like the new home base introduced this season.)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:09 PM »
Price does have its problems, but compared to the first two seasons, I think it has made significant progress. I could see it getting a nomination (and possibly a win) in two years or so, but they still have a couple wrinkles to iron out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:51:19 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'240799\' date=\'May 13 2010, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240765\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:05 PM\']The disco lights provide just enough chrome for what could be a pedestrian trivia game.[/quote]
It's freaking Cash Cab.  I'm pretty sure that it can't be a pedestrian anything by definition.
[/quote]
I see what you did there. :-)
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Winkfan

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 04:33:55 PM »
Even more interesting that Millionaire didn't throw its hat into the ring.

And as usual, Family Feud was AWOL. You'd think they would give O'Hurley at least one nomination before he shuffles off the stage for good. Nothing for the Misters Foxworthy and Mandel either.

Also, this year's "Lifetime Acheivment" honor goes to soap opera creator Agnes Nixon. I was hoping for Monty Hall or Chuck Barris to get it this year. Maybe there will be a surprise honor for either of those men (or hopefully both) during their "Creative Arts" ceremony this year.....

Cordially,
Tammy
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 10:20:20 PM by Winkfan »
"I've never stopped. I've never changed. I never did anything else."
- The Real Don Steele (1936-1997)

BrandonFG

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Winkfan\' post=\'240827\' date=\'May 13 2010, 04:33 PM\']And as usual, Family Feud was AWOL. You'd think they would give O'Hurley at least one nomination before he shuffles off the stage for good. Nothing for the Misters Foxworthy and Mandel either.[/quote]
You have to submit something to be nominated. As far as I know, this version has never submitted anything for nomination, just like all the other Fremantle syndicated shows.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'240809\' date=\'May 13 2010, 11:18 AM\'][quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'240799\' date=\'May 13 2010, 10:13 AM\'][quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'240765\' date=\'May 12 2010, 08:05 PM\']The disco lights provide just enough chrome for what could be a pedestrian trivia game.[/quote]
It's freaking Cash Cab.  I'm pretty sure that it can't be a pedestrian anything by definition.[/quote]
I think that the love Cash Cab gets from the Academy has much more to do with the production challenges of creating a game show that's played inside a taxi.  They're not really concerned that much with the game that's being played.
[/quote]
Did I just *whoosh* the legendary MattO?

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'240829\' date=\'May 13 2010, 04:45 PM\']Did I just *whoosh* the legendary MattO?[/quote]
It's easy for ME to say no, but you'd just have to take my word for it, wouldn't you?  I absolutely got your pedestrian humor.  (See what I did back to you there?)  I still wanted to make the larger point about why Cash Cab keeps getting nominated, despite it being a show we as a group don't talk about much.  Shouldn't have used your quote to do it, though, that was definitely my bad.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

weaklink75

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 05:53:24 PM »
Wayne Brady, Jeff Foxworthy, and Alex Trebek will be presenting awards...Ryan Seacrest will intro the Dick Clark/American Bandstand tribute.