Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: This Season's Pryamid  (Read 13121 times)

zachhoran

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 07:25:14 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 06:29 PM\'] I find it hard to believe that Pat and Vanna don't have time to do even ONE SHOW of Pyramid(um, isn't Pyramid on the same Sony lot as their show).

Also, how about Donny vs. Marie with Dick Clark hosting for a day?
Now that would be a good one for Feb. Sweeps! [/quote]
 Pyramid is probably up against Wheel in some cities. However, Pat didn't do a bad job as a celeb on SUper Password back in the day, he probably would be a good player.

Gromit

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 08:06:36 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 03:03 AM\'] And yet, 100% accurate. If the judging and writing annoys me to the point that I don't want to watch it, then that, by definition, is an unwatchable show. [/quote]
 Card Sharks 2001, now *that* was unwatchable. The old show so butchered that it was no longer recognisable.

Even with the odd weird judging decision, or poorly written category, it's still a great show. You're missing out, which is of course your right.

Did you stop watching Match Game because they had occasional bad judging and writing? (School Riot anyone?)

Brandon Brooks

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 11:43:35 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 08:06 AM\'] Did you stop watching Match Game because they had occasional bad judging and writing? (School Riot anyone?) [/quote]
Now, I don't go to the point that Chris does and say it is unwatchable.  I do find it enjoyable at times.  But those flaws are too damn apparent.

When you're used to a show with locked-tight, virtually infalliable judging, you don't want to see the same show with wishy-washy judging.  I could almost always predict a buzzing in the $25/100K Clark Pyramids.  I don't know what the hell is going on in Osmond's Pyramid.  It was a cool dance for a person to make while at home -- you can't say a "disease of a thousand men," but you can say "a thousand men's disease."  That's intellectually stimulating.   I can't dance anymore, though, to Donny.  That makes me want to change the channel and wait to watch Clark on GSN.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 11:43:54 AM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 11:44:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 06:06 AM\'] Even with the odd weird judging decision, or poorly written category, it's still a great show. [/quote]
 The problem is...THEY'RE NOT ODD if I can pick one out every other day.

You're missing out, which is of course your right.

As I said, YMMV. I don't even think it's worth hard drive space on my Tivo in case I see a notice here of something amazing happening. My life is still plenty complete without it. I'm missing nothing that is of particular concern to me.

Did you stop watching Match Game because they had occasional bad judging and writing? (School Riot anyone?)

I sure as hell didn't watch MG '98. From the looks of it, I wasn't alone.

Trying to compare Match Game, a show played mostly for yuks with what is widely considered a pretty tenuous "game" wrapped around it, with Pyramid, a serious word communication game, is an exercise in futility and does little to prove your point. I hold Pyramid to a higher standard (and, in fact, a KNOWN standard), and so should most everyone else.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2003, 10:55:53 PM »
[quote name=\'adamkendall\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 01:12 PM\'] 7).  6 in 20 seconds as opposed to 7 in 30 seconds was an EXCELLENT idea!!

[/quote]
More than likely, not an idea, but rather a way to generate commercial revenue.  And Zach, WTH does Pat Sajak being on Super Password have to do with anything?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 10:57:46 PM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 11:00:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 19 2003, 10:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamkendall\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 01:12 PM\'] 7).  6 in 20 seconds as opposed to 7 in 30 seconds was an EXCELLENT idea!!

[/quote]
More than likely, not an idea, but rather a way to generate commercial revenue.  And Zach, WTH does Pat Sajak being on Super Password have to do with anything? [/quote]
 HSquares wondered why Pat does not do Pyramid. I mentioned the probable reason he won't do it. He might be a good Pyramid player as he was a decent Password player when did SP(and P+ late in its run)

JMFabiano

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 11:57:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 11:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Nov 17 2003, 06:06 AM\'] Even with the odd weird judging decision, or poorly written category, it's still a great show. [/quote]
The problem is...THEY'RE NOT ODD if I can pick one out every other day.
 [/quote]
 And again, like the fumblings of a Sony product before it, have they been bad enough to earn the "monkeys" title yet?  (I still wonder if, if there really was tension between GSN and Sony, was it because they tried to help Pyramid by offering some of their monkeys to serve as judges ;-))
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

JMFabiano

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2003, 08:07:47 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Nov 15 2003, 05:03 AM\']

Tom Cruise's DENTIST, for Chrissakes. His friggin' DENTIST. What does "I work on the teeth of the guy who was in Days Of Thunder" add to the show that "I was in Days Of Thunder" didn't? Frankly, it's an insult to the writing staff of the Clark version.

[/quote]
 Well at least nobody tried the clue, "Hmmm...not straight...Oh?  I meant your TEETH, Mr. Top Gun, I think you need braces!"  ;-)

JMFabiano

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2003, 08:10:56 AM »
[quote name=\'adamkendall\' date=\'Nov 16 2003, 01:12 PM\'] 3).  Why don't they do the traditional walk to the winner's circle before the commercial break?  I agree, the cheesy give and receive decision should go.  It's a moot exercise. [/quote]
 I love how in the first season, some people had a problem with no decision being offered.  Now it seems we are remembering that this decision is indeed along the lines of On Account, Play/Pass on FF, and Richard Dawson for Super Match.

Shredder

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2003, 09:09:58 AM »
I like the changes, but one thing bothers me.  Donny is taking the gig just a bit TOO seriously.  He hardly ever seems to smile from the shows I've seen, wheras Dick Clark seemed more personable and likeable.

zachhoran

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2003, 09:17:08 AM »
[quote name=\'Shredder\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 09:09 AM\'] I like the changes, but one thing bothers me.  Donny is taking the gig just a bit TOO seriously.  He hardly ever seems to smile from the shows I've seen, wheras Dick Clark seemed more personable and likeable. [/quote]
 Those that have seen the 1982 Battlestars finale know that, as per a question on that show, Donny was tired by then of being teased(he was in his early 20s then) because of his smile.

clemon79

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2003, 11:28:25 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 06:10 AM\'] Now it seems we are remembering that this decision is indeed along the lines of On Account, Play/Pass on FF, and Richard Dawson for Super Match. [/quote]
 I don't agree, necessarily. I think you'd see more contestants giving if not for the "celebrities bring briefed" garbage, but with that it's a no-brainer...you can either receive and get an advantage, or give and you're on your own. Even I would receive given those conditions, unless I was paired with a particularly 'tarded celebrity like Arianna Huffington or Jillian Barbarie, and under the Clark rules I'd give every day and twice on Sunday.

But I'll shut up, as I'm sure people are getting tired of me yammering on about how I don't like the show.

ITSBRY

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2003, 12:12:54 PM »
But I'll shut up, as I'm sure people are getting tired of me yammering on about how I don't like the show.

Chris...I am not tired of hearing your comments...maybe it's because I agree with them! :-D

As a matter of fact, I was really hoping that the number of comments about this briefing business would prompt some sort of reply from the Pyramid staffers who read this board.

I'd be interested to hear an explanation as to why they feel it's necessary to do this...especially now that Pyramid has established itself somewhat.  They did find some good celebs during season one (Debra Jo Rupp, Debra Wilson, Rosa Blasi... among others).  It just seems like the easy way out to me...like it's easier to settle rather than try to find good players.

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

Jay Temple

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2003, 12:31:19 PM »
Not only did they find some good players last year, but I've seen at least a couple new ones this year who were good.  Tracey Ross from Soap Week and Mario from Food Week should be invited back.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

This Season's Pryamid
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2003, 01:04:12 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Nov 20 2003, 10:12 AM\'] Chris...I am not tired of hearing your comments...maybe it's because I agree with them! :-D
 [/quote]
 Well, thanks, but I do feel like I'm being repetitive. I can only say that I'm annoyed by the haphazard judging and lame writing and offended by the celebrity briefings so many different ways. :)