Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic TV Print Ads  (Read 3505 times)

tpirfan28

Classic TV Print Ads
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »
From Toledo-area.

Lots of print advertisements - use the search function for best results.  Includes prints for the premiere of Wheel of Fortune and $10,000 Pyramid, and various prints for many other 70s/80s games.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

tvmitch

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:54:28 PM »
Holy cow. I could easily lose several hours poking around this website. Thanks for the link.
You should follow me on Twitter

Jamey Greek

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
thanks for the link.  I made a discovery that Bill Rafferty was the host for Toledo's PM Magazine back in 1980.

wheelloon

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 11:30:47 PM »
This particular one intrigued me the most:

http://vintagetoledotv.squarespace.com/ran...gallery/3720122

It's the one from WOF's premiere date, at 10:30, but note airing at 9:00am, on channel 13 (the same channel as WOF, so presumably one of the local NBC affiliates in Detroit), is... Jeopardy??

Now, as many of us might now, Jeopardy was cancelled basically to make way for Wheel (a short summary, I know the long unedited version). I would have to guess that then the Jeopardy they are talking about on that listing is a Fleming rerun? I never knew this was done after it was cancelled, if such was true. Did a lot of the NBC affiliates do this? What episodes/seasons did they pick from to show?

/Seems counterintuitive to me, you cancel your show on a Friday only to have it reappear on NBC stations that very next Monday for reruns. Chalk it up to Bolen, but especially if it did well in reruns, I'd be putting down some hard questions to her why it was cancelled in the first place...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 11:31:52 PM by wheelloon »
"I'm dressed as one of the most frightening figures known to man...

A TV game show host."--Pat Sajak

trainman

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 12:27:41 AM »
[quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'235218\' date=\'Jan 30 2010, 08:30 PM\']Now, as many of us might now, Jeopardy was cancelled basically to make way for Wheel (a short summary, I know the long unedited version). I would have to guess that then the Jeopardy they are talking about on that listing is a Fleming rerun? I never knew this was done after it was cancelled, if such was true. Did a lot of the NBC affiliates do this? What episodes/seasons did they pick from to show?[/quote]

Not a rerun.  "Jeopardy!" was airing at 1:30 P.M. at the end, which means Channel 13 must have been showing it on a one-day delay to have it on at 9:00 A.M.  So that would have been "last Friday's" episode, the finale.  (Looks like the changes to NBC's daytime lineup also affected Channel 4 at 9:30.  "To Be Announced" in a Monday daytime slot like that is a dead giveaway that something happened to a show they had on a one-day delay, and they hadn't figured out what they were going to do before TV Guide went to press.  Might have even been "Jeopardy!" that they'd been airing at 9:30.)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:31:58 AM by trainman »
trainman is a man of trains

Jimmy Owen

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'235224\' date=\'Jan 31 2010, 12:27 AM\'][quote name=\'wheelloon\' post=\'235218\' date=\'Jan 30 2010, 08:30 PM\']Now, as many of us might now, Jeopardy was cancelled basically to make way for Wheel (a short summary, I know the long unedited version). I would have to guess that then the Jeopardy they are talking about on that listing is a Fleming rerun? I never knew this was done after it was cancelled, if such was true. Did a lot of the NBC affiliates do this? What episodes/seasons did they pick from to show?[/quote]

Not a rerun.  "Jeopardy!" was airing at 1:30 P.M. at the end, which means Channel 13 must have been showing it on a one-day delay to have it on at 9:00 A.M.  So that would have been "last Friday's" episode, the finale.  (Looks like the changes to NBC's daytime lineup also affected Channel 4 at 9:30.  "To Be Announced" in a Monday daytime slot like that is a dead giveaway that something happened to a show they had on a one-day delay, and they hadn't figured out what they were going to do before TV Guide went to press.  Might have even been "Jeopardy!" that they'd been airing at 9:30.)
[/quote]
It was "Celebrity Sweepstakes" that Channel 4 normally ran at 9:30, one-weekday delayed from 12:30pm where they ran a newscast.  With CSweeps moving to 10, they probably didn't want to show two episodes of the same series back to back. (It was a different world back then.)  "Blank Check" started the next day at 9:30am.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Johnissoevil

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 06:17:11 AM »
Thanks for sharing these.  It would appear TJW bounced around channels every season on the west side of Lake Erie.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:17:33 AM by Johnissoevil »
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Jimmy Owen

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' post=\'235214\' date=\'Jan 30 2010, 10:02 PM\']thanks for the link.  I made a discovery that Bill Rafferty was the host for Toledo's PM Magazine back in 1980.[/quote]
That was a Group W national self-contained "Special Edition" of PM Magazine.  Bill was on NBC's "Real People" at the time. Tom Marshall and Martha Sharan were the regular local hosts during that time frame on Channel 11.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:11:24 AM by Jimmy Owen »

mmb5

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 07:02:08 PM »
13 ran Donahue at 1, and the Detroit station (CBS 2) ran it at 11.  That threw a bunch of shows out of pattern for both stations.  We were one of the rare markets to get TPIR on a delay.

The full movement for the Jeopardy cancellation for normal stations:

Name That Tune (10:00), Winning Streak (10:30) and Jeopardy! (1:30) canceled
Celebrity Sweepstakes moves from 12:30 to 10:00
Wheel of Fortune added at 10:30
How to Survive a Marriage moves from 3:30 to 1:30
Another World expands to an hour (3-4)

--Mike
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:02:55 PM by mmb5 »
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

Ian Wallis

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
13 ran Donahue at 1, and the Detroit station (CBS 2) ran it at 11. That threw a bunch of shows out of pattern for both stations. We were one of the rare markets to get TPIR on a delay.

I've got some old Detroit TVGuides from that time period and was surprised to see the schedules.  It's kind of odd that such a big market had so many shows out of order from the networks.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jimmy Owen

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:11:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'235287\' date=\'Feb 1 2010, 05:25 PM\']
13 ran Donahue at 1, and the Detroit station (CBS 2) ran it at 11. That threw a bunch of shows out of pattern for both stations. We were one of the rare markets to get TPIR on a delay.

I've got some old Detroit TVGuides from that time period and was surprised to see the schedules.  It's kind of odd that such a big market had so many shows out of order from the networks.
[/quote]
2 and 13 were both Storer stations at the time, 4 was owned by The Detroit News.  Channel 7 was an ABC O&O, so at least everything ran in pattern there.  Even Channel 9 was weird with an amalgam of CBC, CTV and times when it could be mistaken for an American indy.  The Detroit indies were very cool too.

Ian Wallis

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 05:12:14 PM »
Even Channel 9 was weird with an amalgam of CBC, CTV and times when it could be mistaken for an American indy.

That's because at that time CBC ran a number of American shows that couldn't be shown on the Windsor station because it affected the Detroit market.  Sometimes Ch. 9 couldn't even run Hockey Night in Canada if the Red Wings were playing at home on a Saturday night, and sometimes picked up mid-week games from Toronto instead.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:12:56 PM by Ian Wallis »
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

drmusic_99

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'235327\' date=\'Feb 2 2010, 04:12 PM\']
Even Channel 9 was weird with an amalgam of CBC, CTV and times when it could be mistaken for an American indy.

That's because at that time CBC ran a number of American shows that couldn't be shown on the Windsor station because it affected the Detroit market.  Sometimes Ch. 9 couldn't even run Hockey Night in Canada if the Red Wings were playing at home on a Saturday night, and sometimes picked up mid-week games from Toronto instead.
[/quote]

Yeah, I noticed they were advertising Bonanza for Sunday nights at 6, when the rest of the CBC network was running Disney.

Argo

Classic TV Print Ads
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »
Another observation, Jack Narz was back to back with Concentration at 9:00am on 4 and NYSI at 9:30am on 2.