Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So what DID Fremantle do?  (Read 5057 times)

JMFabiano

So what DID Fremantle do?
« on: October 06, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »
...but I have been out of the loop and am just reading about the story, and how it "explains" why we're down to just MG, FF, and PW.  Do we know for sure if Fremantle's putting the limits onto GSN now too?  (Kind of like what the "Bars of Boredom," aka Sony, did with the lease-a-season rule?)    

Funny how PW/PW+/SP  is "good" enough or doing well enough to be considered what GSN's target audience wants to see.  So why did you think contemporary Password needed to change so much again?  (Not that I hated that show, mind you...)  

If they are holding out on GSN, makes me hope all the more that someone picks up where BCI left off soon (and improves on it, I'd imagine some of you are thinking)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
This is a contentious debate on the GSN "Buzz" board.  At least it was, I haven't been there in a while.   Conventional wisdom is that Fremantle wanted too much for a renewal of the entire package of G-T shows.  But if you wanted to say that that GSN didn't offer enough for a renewal of the package, you'd be saying exactly the same thing, just pointing the finger somewhere else.  None of us are in a position to KNOW with certainty how the negotiations went down, or what the priorities of either party actually were.  Unlike last time (the so-called "dark period"), GSN has more product to choose from, and more recent product to boot.  They are less dependent on the nostalgic oldies, and the only ones who are having a problem with that are those of us who really, really wanted to see that 73rd rerun of Blockbusters episode #142.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »
I'm happy that GSN showed what they did.  I recorded pretty much everything in which I was interested.  The only G-T shows I was hoping GSN would eventually get to were a regular run of Moore/Garagiola TTTT 74-80.   If these ever make it to DVD/digital download/new technology, I will purchase them.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Darion Blackwood Daniel

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'227856\' date=\'Oct 6 2009, 12:22 PM\']I'm happy that GSN showed what they did.  I recorded pretty much everything in which I was interested.  The only G-T shows I was hoping GSN would eventually get to were a regular run of Moore/Garagiola TTTT 74-80.   If these ever make it to DVD/digital download/new technology, I will purchase them.[/quote]Well, the same goes for me Jimmy.  However, they did air all of the good ones if I remember correctly, and they should be on the trading circuit if you want them.
Love and Heart--The Blackwood Company

The Pyramids

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 06:23:18 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'227856\' date=\'Oct 6 2009, 12:22 PM\']I'm happy that GSN showed what they did.[/quote]

Indeed they did. From '05 to '08 GSN made better use of the library than Bob Boden did in my opinion.  Its probably easier to list what did not air on GSN during that time than list everything that did (Rafferty 'Blockbsuters','Now You See It', 'Childs Play' the few 'Winner Take All's and much more).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:34:49 PM by PaulD »

That Don Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 06:59:00 PM »
[quote name=\'PaulD\' post=\'228140\' date=\'Oct 9 2009, 03:23 PM\']Its probably easier to list what did not air on GSN during that time[/quote]

Those last four episodes of Monty Hall Beat the Clock, for one.

-- Don

rwalker

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 08:07:46 PM »
I would think they would re-try airing some of these late at night down the line. Squares, Millionaire, and the same Jeopardy from earlier in the day, along with the 2 Pyramids, can't be doing anything for their late night numbers. Unless their late night ratings bite so bad, that they have given up on programming anything the die hard fans want?

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:15:02 PM »
I'm happy that GSN showed what they did

Me too.  Although we all have shows we know GSN has that we wish they would air (I know there's a few shows I'd like them to give just one complete run-through on), in the 15 years GSN's been on the air, they've been pretty good to us.  They've given us a chance to relive some great game show memories!

Here's a list of what they have aired.  I've still got some updates I've got to make to the list, but if you notice any ommissions feel free to let me know.  Since I've been without GSN the past 5 years sometimes it's hard to keep up:

http://gamesandclassictv.webs.com/gsn.html
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Eric Paddon

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 07:45:59 PM »
"It's News To Me" I think had about 2-3 episodes aired.

snowpeck

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »
I have three different episodes of "It's News to Me" on tape from GSN, all with John Daly hosting.  Didn't they also run one or two with Walter Cronkite?

Greg
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 09:45:56 PM by snowpeck »
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
[quote name=\'snowpeck\' post=\'229328\' date=\'Oct 27 2009, 09:45 PM\']I have three different episodes of "It's News to Me" on tape from GSN, all with John Daly hosting.  Didn't they also run one or two with Walter Cronkite?[/quote]
A Cronkite episode circulates among collectors, but I don't believe that one ever aired on GSN.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.