Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HS Game Show Week, Part 2  (Read 4968 times)

Mike Tennant

HS Game Show Week, Part 2
« on: November 04, 2003, 04:03:39 PM »
I can't believe nobody has posted anything about this yet.  (Does this belong in Show Summaries?  If so, please move it.)

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Hollywood Squares' Game Show Week, "Part Deux," as Tom Bergeron put it?  As of this writing, only one episode has aired here (Pittsburgh), but it's not too soon to start talking about it.  After all, if we'll spend weeks talking about a hypothetical successor to Bob Barker. . .

The questions were, of course, written so that everyone got to do his or her shtick, most of which was nice to hear once again.

The only person who looked really bad, IMO, was Rose Marie.  I couldn't hear her very well, either.  Still, it was nice to see her in a square one more time.

Monty Hall seemed particularly sharp and sounded like he could've been out on the trading floor making deals yet again.  One wonders what would have happened if he had decided (and NBC had allowed him) to host the recent LMAD revival.  It probably wouldn't have made much difference, considering the little chance NBC gave the show; but it just might have helped the ratings for the initial episode (since people might have tuned in to see Monty), which could have translated into bigger ratings for the remaining episodes and a permanent berth on the schedule.  It's not as if young people tune out a familiar, white-haired game show host, as evidenced by the TPIR studio audience.

Martin Mull recycled his Charley Weaver joke from the first Game Show Week, though Tom got in a good shot as a result.

Ruta Lee looked very good for her age.

JoAnne Worley, IMO, clearly dominated the proceedings from the very first time she was picked, even ad-libbing a good joke based on Betty White's scripted one.  She certainly hasn't lost any of her vocal power.

Everyone else was just kind of there.  I'm hoping they all get a chance to display their talents better as the week progresses.

Any other opinions?

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 04:14:16 PM »
Not bad. Some of the references [Letters to Laugh In? Just Men? Your Number's Up?] were pretty obscure, but it's nice to see they acknowledge the shows only we remember.

Nipsey Russell's still got that talent he's always had. His "throwing away money" rhyme last night was a hoot.

Ruta Lee, IMO, actually looks better than she did on HR....wasn't it reported that Susan Stafford would also be on this week?

Betty White's comment about Paul Newman, although scripted, was very funny.

"I can name that tune in four notes, Tom."

The gong is gonna be used a LOT by Jaye P. and Jamie this week. I can feel it.

Mike Tennant

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 04:46:38 PM »
Not bad. Some of the references [Letters to Laugh In? Just Men? Your Number's Up?] were pretty obscure, but it's nice to see they acknowledge the shows only we remember.
Quite so.  The stills shown going to the first commercial break were kind of neat, too.

Nipsey Russell's still got that talent he's always had. His "throwing away money" rhyme last night was a hoot.
It was funny, but it didn't get as big a laugh as it could have gotten.  Nipsey didn't really seem to be into it.  I felt as though he was just tossing off a poem because it was expected.  Perhaps he'll get better as the week progresses.

Betty White's comment about Paul Newman, although scripted, was very funny.
I guess if you didn't see it coming, like I did, it was.  I still think JoAnne's later ad lib was better, if only because it was an ad lib and because I wasn't expecting it.

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2003, 04:56:17 PM »
Good to see Tom Kennedy.

Was it just me or did Mr. Stevens look terrible.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2003, 05:26:11 PM »
Shadoe doesn't look TERRIBLE, just very different from the Davidson run. His hair is MUCH shorter, and he wears glasses.

I think this week will be a very pleasing week. Rose Marie may be getting on in years, but that mind is still working. For the record, she's likely not sitting in her regular square because Rose does have a little difficulty walking up steps. She reunited with the Dick Van Dyke cast during the Nick at Nite awards, and was assisted on stage by Carl Reiner. JoAnn, hasn't changed a bit, Tom looks wonderful. Monty, on the other hand, looks a little bored.  Nipsey's fine, but it would help if he came up with new couplets rather than repeating ones that are well over 20 years old.
Jaye P and Jamie seem to be having a great time., and of course, Bob Eubanks and Betty White, great as always.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 05:40:16 PM »
The only person who looked really bad, IMO, was Rose Marie. I couldn't hear her very well, either. Still, it was nice to see her in a square one more time.
Well, she is 80 years old.  And I don't think she looks bad... just 80 years old.

It probably wouldn't have made much difference, considering the little chance NBC gave the show; but it just might have helped the ratings for the initial episode (since people might have tuned in to see Monty), which could have translated into bigger ratings for the remaining episodes and a permanent berth on the schedule. It's not as if young people tune out a familiar, white-haired game show host, as evidenced by the TPIR studio audience.
Um... the show was not good.  It was almost faithful, but too hip.  Monty couldn't (and didn't) save it.

Ruta Lee looked very good for her age.
When I found how old she was, I was amazed.

JoAnne Worley, IMO, clearly dominated the proceedings from the very first time she was picked, even ad-libbing a good joke based on Betty White's scripted one. She certainly hasn't lost any of her vocal power.
She sure hasn't.  She's exactly the same, just older.

I've enjoyed these past two days, and I can't wait to see the other three.

Brandon Brooks

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 06:18:37 PM »
To me, Ruta Lee looked EXACTLY the way she did on High Rollers, and that's just creepy.  I mean Dorian Gray kind of creepy, that was nearly thirty years ago!  Get out your EOTVGS3, look at the picture of her and Alex and tell me she's changed a bit.

As I said before, I saw Rose Marie at Peter Marshall's book signing in Hollywood last summer, and she did not look good at all.  To me, seeing her looking so much better this week is a revelation, I really didn't think she had it in her anymore.

And I liked Mike's characterization that several of the stars were just there.  On the other hand, they're retired for the most part, and just getting them out of the house or off the golf course is reward enough for us fans.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 07:58:34 PM »
Tonight we saw a B&W pic of Snap Judgement, adding to the stuff for us. I really like it that a major television production is willing to acknowledge the diehards as much as H2 has over the past two seasons.

Question about Shadoe---was he fired last season or did he leave?

dscungio

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 08:01:30 PM »
And in another nod to game shows, they have the Unknown Comic doing the audience warm-up, as seen in the bumpers before the commercials.

zachhoran

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 08:06:14 PM »
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

And in a nod to the speed of gameplay on classic HS, they got to 27 questions in a three game match today, pretty much on target with what the 70s nighttime syndie shows did. The game started at the top of a match, and the first two games were five square wins, and the rubber game ended as time ran out. No bonus round played today.

tommycharles

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 08:12:18 PM »
I haven't seen the 2nd ep yet (21 mins and counting) but I have only one complaint from the first show - does every joke have to be about sex? I mean....I wasn't offended or anything, but it got to be, eh, tired, after a while.

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2003, 08:21:38 PM »
Was that a TPIR background they were using behind the washer/dryer secret square prize reveal?  Sure looked like one to me.
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

GS Warehouse

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2003, 10:46:34 PM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 08:21 PM\'] Was that a TPIR background they were using behind the washer/dryer secret square prize reveal?  Sure looked like one to me. [/quote]
 Considering H2 and TPiR tape at the same stage, I wouldn't be surprised.  BTW, when Bob was first picked on Monday, Tom mentioned that he hosted Card Sharks on that very same stage.  But Bob, you lasted just three years, not five.

cmjb13

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 07:04:49 AM »
[quote name=\'bossjock967\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 08:21 PM\'] Was that a TPIR background they were using behind the washer/dryer secret square prize reveal?  Sure looked like one to me. [/quote]
 Yes
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

vtown7

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 08:05:24 AM »
More on the TPIR washer/dryer set... I do believe that's the one that the guy from my university won on the ep that featured Race Game on Monday, no?

Cheers,

Ryan :)