Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I GOT THE CALL FROM MILLIONAIRE TODAY.  (Read 10036 times)

BrentW

I GOT THE CALL FROM MILLIONAIRE TODAY.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
Congratulations DorrNumberFour.  No one deserves it more.  You've been diligently trying for SO long -- I've seen you post on every conceivable board -- I am so happy to see that perserverance pays off!

-Brent

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' post=\'228771\' date=\'Oct 17 2009, 11:31 PM\']Congratulations DorrNumberFour.  No one deserves it more.  You've been diligently trying for SO long -- I've seen you post on every conceivable board -- I am so happy to see that perserverance pays off!

-Brent[/quote]
Thank you so much. It really means a lot to me.

Also, as a quick update, I did indeed tape my episode (or episodes, since I got cut off by the horn and came back). Without revealing anything about the gameplay, I'll say this:

- My expert was Kate Snow from the weekend edition of Good Morning America.

- After the taping, my producer told me the consensus in the control room was that I was one of the best contestants they have ever had on the show.

If you'd like to hear more details, I'll be telling the whole story on the campus radio station tomorrow, from 5pm-6pm. You can listen to a live stream here.

There may be a number to call to talk to us live, and if there is, I'll announce it on the show tomorrow. But if there isn't, I'd love to answer any questions you may have about my experience here!

And it WAS an experience. Probably one of the biggest days of my life. Thanks, everyone, for all of your support.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

tvrandywest

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 03:42:03 PM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'228784\' date=\'Oct 18 2009, 08:34 AM\']...Thank you so much. It really means a lot to me....
Also, as a quick update, I did indeed tape my episode (or episodes, since I got cut off by the horn and came back)....[/quote]
Congratulations! I'm very happy for you, especially knowing that you answered at least ONE question correctly in order to return for the following episode  ;-)   I hope you did spectacularly well, and get to name a wing of your new mansion in honor of the show!

Seriously, I'm a bit jealous because when I first made the rounds as a contestant $25,000 was all anyone could win on CBS, and there were no home VCRs to capture the appearances!

Again, congrats. Remember this forum in your will   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

GiraffeBoy

• "He can solve puzzles, that's for sure."-Pat Sajak
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »
Congrats Door #4! I hope it's big money!  Look forward to seeing it.

--Charlie
"B, 2 hours, 52 minutes, 59 seconds...final answer?"
WWTBAM Play It! DCA Million Point Winner #42 - Stick your neck out with pride!

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »
Quick bump:

My episodes are airing today and tomorrow (I'm the last contestant on today's show, and the first on tomorrow's). Try to catch them; I think you'll have a good time watching.
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 07:50:26 PM »
Since you have tried so long to get on, I was wondering if there was anything in your opinion that you did differently in the interview process that got you in the contestant pool (I'm assuming you passed the test multiple times).

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 11:55:33 PM »
Agreed, I'm curious, too. I and a friend have multiple test passes with no callbacks. What's the secret (aside from what they tell you about being yourself and all that)?
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2010, 12:29:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Sonic Whammy\' post=\'235128\' date=\'Jan 28 2010, 11:55 PM\']Agreed, I'm curious, too. I and a friend have multiple test passes with no callbacks. What's the secret (aside from what they tell you about being yourself and all that)?[/quote]
This is what helped me more than anything, and this is the advice I will give you:

If they do another cycle of video auditions, JUMP ON IT. To me, it eliminates a lot of the pressure of being interviewed in person. You get a chance to collect yourself, think about what you want to say, and if it comes out crappy you can do it again. That's how I auditioned and got on after seven unsuccessful in-person auditions.

Another thing, rather off-topic...I don't want to say it's hurtful, 'cause ultimately they're just words from people I will never meet, but it's strange reading around other message boards and Twitter pages and seeing that other people found me irritating and "more annoying than those dummies on Catch 21".

I'd like to take a second and explain: The energy in the studio is so thick, you can feel it all around you. The excitement is almost too much to even fathom, as I'm sure any other former contestant can attest to. And after two years of trying and failing, and trying and failing, and trying and failing...words can't even express how excited I was to finally be on the show of my dreams. The excitement took over, and I'm sorry for anyone who misinterprets that as being annoying, but rest assured, there was no schtick, there was no acting, there was none of that. I was DAMN excited. And that's it.

vtown7

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
Chris - I couldn't agree with you more, on both counts.

First, I got to see Millionaire in person for the first time in September.  Although I am ineligible to be on the show because I'm not from the states, I had wanted to for years see the show, although my work schedule didn't permit it.  I had the same type of excitement being in the audience.

And about the message boards - I read a little bit about what someone said about me after my Countdown appearance, and then I stopped reading.  I 100% understand where you're coming from - it's not worth spending the time!  I focus on the positives, as I'm sure you have, and push the other stuff aside.

In any case, congratulations on getting on the show, enjoyed seeing your show this morning (my affil airs it at 2.05 am - ouch) and look forward to seeing the continuation.

Ryan

irwinsjournal.com

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 08:01:50 AM »
Congratulations, Chris.  

And allow me to echo Ryan's message on the message boards: ignore them.  Some people have nothing better to do but knock down someone else.  The ability to hide behind screen names empowers them in their own minds.

It's their problem, not yours.
George in Ellison Park, NY

irwinsjournal.com

tomobrien

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 08:30:11 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'235131\' date=\'Jan 28 2010, 11:29 PM\']Another thing, rather off-topic...I don't want to say it's hurtful, 'cause ultimately they're just words from people I will never meet, but it's strange reading around other message boards and Twitter pages and seeing that other people found me irritating and "more annoying than those dummies on Catch 21".[/quote]
Chris, congrats and don't let it get to you.  I wish I could say this is a new phenomenon but it's been going on since the days of ATGS (there was one clown who thought all the contestants needed a voice changer machine).  We've all gotten it in one form or another.  What's important is that you had a great experience, the people who matter are happy for you, and you won the money.

Yogi007

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:49 AM »
Chris, my wife and I had no problems watching you yesterday.  It felt like I was watching a friend do his best and being himself, even though I only know you from here.  We can't wait to see how far you go on today's show.  Here's hoping for the best!!
sarcasm included at no extra charge

mxc0427

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
Chris is one of my closest friends. We even met at a Million Dollar Password audition in NYC two years ago. I don't give a crap about what others say about his performance. Honestly, his performance shows that he doesn't care about the money he wins. He's enjoying the game, his dream came true, and he's going to cherish every second of it. Nobody who says something negative about his experience will hurt him and take that way, so you all fail then.

There are sooooo many other things to complain about in this world, but if you choose someone's performance on a game show because you find them "annoying" and "obnoxious" and think they are faking it, I'm sorry, but that is just sad. Very sad. Don't watch it, and move on. I HATE people with no personality, and are just bland and boring. Chris shows that no matter the situation, you can fun enjoy life, and make us laugh at the same time.

Life is short. Enjoy it. Don't criticize someone who you will probably never meet face-to-face based on a television performance. Chris is one of the nicest, most genuine individuals I have ever met in my life. And quite frankly, for someone to hide behind a username and call his act a schitck and annoying, it's cowardly and unprofessional for us in this genre.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:32:15 AM by mxc0427 »

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
Echoing everybody else's sentiments, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Chris.  He was having fun, Meredith was having fun, and the audience enjoyed themselves.  I cracked up at the $1000 question about "No More Tangles".  What a great head of hair you have, Chris.  This guy is jealous.

Today's episode aired here two hours ago.  I cannot wait to go home and see how Chris did.  I'm hoping he got to that $50,000 question in the category 'Cleveland Rocks'.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 11:34:11 AM by MikeK »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
I'm happy to note that for the occasional criticisms we get about our nastiness on this forum, those comments came from elsewhere.  Here, we're happy for Chris and wish him (retroactively) nothing but the best.

Meanwhile, for those of us who didn't catch either show, could somebody trot over to Show Summaries and...summarize?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.