Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: FCC Investigates Our Little Genius  (Read 1697 times)

chad1m

FCC Investigates Our Little Genius
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »
According to The New York Times, the Federal Communications Commission is officially looking into whether or not the Burnett kid show Our Little Genius participated in an act of "rigging" their program. An excerpt from the article:

In December, the parent of a child who was recruited for the quiz show sent a letter to the commission. The letter alleges that a few days before a planned taping, a member of the program’s production staff reviewed with the contestant and his parents a list of potential topics and gave specific answers to at least four questions that the child either did not know or about which he was unsure. The letter, dated Dec. 17 and received by the F.C.C. on Dec. 22, was released Friday by the commission in response to a Freedom of Information Act request by The New York Times.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:17:18 AM »
It never went out over the airwaves, so I'm not sure if the FCC has any jurisdiction in this case.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Otm Shank

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
I thought the same, too, that an unaired show is essentially safe from prosecution. (Also, what's to say the FCC has jurisdiction over cable game shows for that matter, since it is not broadcast on public airwaves?)

I suppose that, since it was recorded, with promotions (and, thus, clips of the show) airing and promises of prizes were made to the contestants, that the FCC may have a hairline of jurisdiction. Of course, it's just an investigation at this point, not an indictment. Seeing as there would be an appeal based on the fact that the show didn't air, all I see coming out is a stern warning to the producer and the network that they were mere days away from getting a reservation at the Old Greybar Hotel. Zat is all.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:57:24 PM »
At this point, would it just be better to cancel the show before it even airs? To have this much controversy before you debut just looks BAD, esp. when you had to postpone your premiere because of the surrounding controversy.

I know bad publicity is still publicity, and I don't see this turning into a full-scale investigation a la 50 years ago, but I still don't see anything good coming out of this, considering the few reviews I've seen point to this show being awful.

ETA: Buzzerblog says the show is already canceled. I thought the show was pushed back until next month? Oh well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 04:58:31 PM by fostergray82 »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!